Almost My Worse Day Ever

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 11:55 AM

I am so glad your dog is ok. This might be a wake up call.....what would happen if you had to stop the cart short or turn abruptly to avoid an accident with a car or cart? I'm sure you are a careful driver with your pet on board, but we have all seen others in TV who are not. You can brace yourself using your arms and hold on for dear life....your dog cannot. The chance of the leash holding under your legs is not one I would be willing to take with my pet. Amazon and petsmart carry canine car seats for various size dogs (some are less than 20$). They have a tether that hooks to your dog's harness (never a collar for obvious reasons) and then either hook around the car/cart seat or through the seat belt. I have these for the car and for the cart. I will be back in TV in July. PM me if you want one of my extras. I would gladly donate it to ensure the safety of your four legged member of the family.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You know, we do all we can think of to ensure our pets are safe. Then something like this happens and we realize there are other things we didn’t think of that could cause them injury and we feel terrible. Those of us who are not omniscient can appreciate how awful you felt when this happened.

There is certainly no point in kicking someone when they’re down.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Platinum member

OMG, glad your dog is ok. Very scary for you and your pet/family.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM

My dog is my copilot.
Darn dyslexia!
Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
I am so glad your dog is ok. This might be a wake up call.....what would happen if you had to stop the cart short or turn abruptly to avoid an accident with a car or cart? I'm sure you are a careful driver with your pet on board, but we have all seen others in TV who are not. You can brace yourself using your arms and hold on for dear life....your dog cannot. The chance of the leash holding under your legs is not one I would be willing to take with my pet. Amazon and petsmart carry canine car seats for various size dogs (some are less than 20$). They have a tether that hooks to your dog's harness (never a collar for obvious reasons) and then either hook around the car/cart seat or through the seat belt. I have these for the car and for the cart. I will be back in TV in July. PM me if you want one of my extras. I would gladly donate it to ensure the safety of your four legged member of the family.
Thanks for a non-judgemental, informative answer.

We have one of the tether-type for our dog when he rides in the back of our car. I agree sitting on the leash would not be effective if the cart is hit or you have to slam on the brakes.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Glad your dog didnt do an "Isadora Duncan".

Im still amazed how many people need to bring their dogs around with them. Saw a large dog with just a leash standing on a platform at the back of a golf cart.

Way too many people here need to leave their pooches at home.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

So glad your fur baby survived the incident.

FYI, this is how I strap our 2 small pups in - I take both leashes and run the buckle through the bracket with the hole in it at the top back location of the basket where the bag straps are fastened; I then loop the buckle through the other end of the leash and snap it then onto their harness. I then run the seat belt through the loop on their harnesses; they are not going anywhere.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs down

Not safely securing a pet while in a golf cart, is pure negligence IMHO...and analogous to this.

Dogs Die Falling Off Pickup Trucks

Quote:
“It has been estimated that at least 100,000 dogs die each year when (accidentally) tossed from pickup trucks,
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
You know, we do all we can think of to ensure our pets are safe. Then something like this happens and we realize there are other things we didn’t think of that could cause them injury and we feel terrible. Those of us who are not omniscient can appreciate how awful you felt when this happened.

There is certainly no point in kicking someone when they’re down.

I agree. Some of these comments sound so mean when I think people really just want to be helpful. At least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psa1000 View Post
I agree. Some of these comments sound so mean when I think people really just want to be helpful. At least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people cannot avoid being critical. I see a lot of passenger dogs doing exactly what I stupidly did. I felt if I passed along my experience maybe others might avoid harming their pet.
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, cart, pet, feet, backward

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.