An Alternate To Living At The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Default An Alternate To Living At The Villages

I have visited TV several times and think it's a nice place. Because of the growth many retailers have come into the area. But it's over crowed at times. Many people have trouble driving in a safe manner. There is a large bond you have to pay off and yearly assessments. The residents will never own the amenities. And yes there are 100'S of clubs and dozens of pools but how much can one person do in a day? I know I'm not being forced to move there but we are considering Stonecrest just 2 miles up the road. It's gated, about $95.00 a month in fees, no bond, private roads etc. It seems to me I can still use most of what TV has brought in, shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. without the extra cost of living at TV. I welcome any input you might have on my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: An Alternate To Living At The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie
I have visited TV several times and think it's a nice place. Because of the growth many retailers have come into the area. But it's over crowed at times. Many people have trouble driving in a safe manner. There is a large bond you have to pay off and yearly assessments. The residents will never own the amenities. And yes there are 100'S of clubs and dozens of pools but how much can one person do in a day? I know I'm not being forced to move there but we are considering Stonecrest just 2 miles up the road. It's gated, about $95.00 a month in fees, no bond, private roads etc. It seems to me I can still use most of what TV has brought in, shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. without the extra cost of living at TV. I welcome any input you might have on my thoughts.
441/27 is pretty congested at times. That's the major road which is I believe that one Stonecrest is "2 miles up" from TV. This whole area seems to get a lot of traffic especially when the snowbirds are here. It is a lot better as far as traffic is concerned than many other areas of Florida though. One thing, TV is a lot easier to get lost in for newcomers.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is your decision based on the life style you want and of course what you can afford. The crowds in TV will be no different than in Stonecrest or other near by developments come Januray February and march. Traffic...again its not even close to where I came from. The biggest issue is learning how to navigate the round-a-bouts or traffic circles. I will say this while you may be considering living 2 miles away from TV and expect to drive to TV for shopping and entertainment, others want to live "within" 1 mile of a Town Square to be close to the activities. Too many communities we looked at simply had only one golf course and a club house with limited activities. Having the convience to select and partcipate in a variety of activities/clubs in The Villages that is golf cart ride away with little or no traffic, is what TV is all about. You either like it or not. There are many different price levels of homes available and in todays market there are many resales with the Bond paid which would not be an issue.
Good luck in your decision.... the choice is yours but I find it interesting that you even ask your question on "Talk of the Villages" a board dedicated to living in the Villages. I suspect you may get a more positive response from a board dedicated to Stonecrest...OH but they probably dont offer that .... so you are back to square one!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM

If you buy in Sumter County there will be a bond. It is county not Villages. Can you imagine the traffic you will need to go through to visit TV or do your shopping? You need to do what you feel is right for you.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM

The bond is not a county thing. It is a village bond, you could buy anywhere else in sumter county and there is no bond. The bond works this way, the developer gets a bond to build the infrastructure and the each house in a given district is assesed a certain amount to pay off the bond. The developer does not have to put out any money to build roads, sewer, electric. cable tv, drainage. Bond amounts increase with each district because each year the cost to build roads and utilities go up.
drd
Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge
The bond is not a county thing. It is a village bond, you could buy anywhere else in sumter county and there is no bond. The bond works this way, the developer gets a bond to build the infrastructure and the each house in a given district is assesed a certain amount to pay off the bond. The developer does not have to put out any money to build roads, sewer, electric. cable tv, drainage. Bond amounts increase with each district because each year the cost to build roads and utilities go up.
drd
I believe Stonecrest is in Marion County, too, unless I am mistaken. A few days ago a woman at the Doggie Doo Run Run was from there and said it was near the Super Wal-Mart on 441/27.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Sage

DRD - Every builder has a bond in some fashion. Either they include it in the sale price and THEY pay the county or it is a separate item and the home OWNER pays the county. So you need to add the current bond into the sale price of the home at TV. The bottom line is that you need to compare apples to apples in terms of total $ spent for the home you are purchasing in either TV or any other development.

Correct?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:33 PM

living near but not inside the villages means you'll need a car to shop, eat or play in tv. one hugh plus of actually living in tv is the option of a golf cart lifestyle with no need to go out into 441 traffic at all.
i drive all over tv choosing a combination of trails and less congested streets.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Sage

So Annie, what state are you coming from? You sound like the Sales office for Stonecrest.
It's really quite simple...if you don't buy in The Villages, you'll always regret it. Although many of the outside communities are nice, they aren't The Villages....just pale imitations.
PS- I do not work for TV. I'm just a regular lucky Villager.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I would think that non-Villagers cannot join the clubs. That would seem to be a major drawback to living outside TV to me (even though I have yet to find the nerve to even go to a club meeting rofl).

Given the problems that TV has had with NYE and some other events, I'm wondering if some events won't soon be closed to non-Villagers and their guests. That is, the parades, tree and Menorah lightings, etc. That would add an additional reason why TV would be more preferable.

Other reasons: Golf carts; more to do here; friendliness (I have a friend that lives in Del Webb -- she's been there for 2 years and has met one of her neighbors; took her 18 mos to be able to play with her Mah-Jong group). Basically, I've the community to be better overall here than other local retirement villages.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM

that's correct non-villagers can't join rec center sponsored clubs or various sports leagues.
you have to live in tv to really join in the lifestyle.
outsiders can visit to shop and eat but tv is more than it's stores and restaurants. it's a community
Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

OK, everybody,

Do you think annie is sincere, or is annie promoting Stonecrest?

Keep in mind that she registered at 8:22 a.m. today and posted by 8:27 a.m.

I'm just curious what everybody thinks.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie
It seems to me I can still use most of what TV has brought in, shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. without the extra cost of living at TV.
I find it ironic that some don't want to live here and share the costs,but can't wait to enjoy what the villages has to offer,in the squares and entertainment,etc. :dontknow:
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM

I think Annie is working on commission for Stonecrest. I'd bet her e-mail address is a phony to.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Frankly, I'm with Rhett -- I don't give a damn. She wants to promote Stonecrest, let her. We know the good that is here and why we are here or want to be here. If we wanted Stonecrest, we would be there or getting info about it. So, this gives us a chance to think about why TV is better than living in surrounding communities and thinking is good for the soul. It's all good.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.