An Alternate To Living At The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.
Default Re: An Alternate To Living At The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILY
Gee I just found this site. I live in Windermere Florida .We were looking into retirement communities as my husband will retire next year . We will be looking at a lot of different locations in Fl, N.C and GA Before we make our move .I feel it's smart to look around due to not wanting to move again. But I AM REALLY SURPRIZED AT THE FEED BACK SOME NOT SO NICE .Gee I thought it was fun in a retirement community

Baily, despite what you may think from reading this thread; on our visit to TV we found the environment extremely positive. We talked to everyone... while standing in line at the burger joint, sitting on a bench eating ice cream, wandering around the town square in the evening, etc. More importantly folks talked to us.... if we looked lost or confused we were given assistance, folks we asked happily answered the myriad questions we threw at them about TV, how they got there and what their lives are like now that they live there.

As I've mentioned in another thread, we could just as easily move into a retirement community in the San Francisco Bay Area because my family owns a condo in an adult community called Rossmore which is gated, smaller and has some nice amenities but not nearly as many and certainly not anywhere near the variety of activities and clubs in which you can participate. Besides they have only three Golf courses. LOL
Old 12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Sage

Punkpup:

30 degrees this AM in Rossmore - tee off times pushed way way back. Had to scrape off the ice on my car windows leaving for work this morning in Union City.

Chuck
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 PM

I love just jumping in the golf cart and go, how about the many many clubs we have I can go a month without using my car the library is at my use also or a good high school althletic event to me its a no brainer TV is the place
Old 12-15-2007, 02:48 AM

BYE BYE
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Send a message via MSN to funnygirl

Hi,
I'm a home health nurse and as a result frequently visit patients in many of the other communities in the area. I can say for certain that I never would have left the San Francisco Bay Area for any of the other communities I have seen including Stonecrest. I have a feeling of warmth and "Comming home" when I'm in the villages. The other communities lack the warmth and the imaginative landscaping of the common areas. You won't see flowers or colorful plantings in Stonecrest, Top of the World, Oak Run, Spruce Creek or any of the others I have been to. The houses are ok but really not any nicer then anything available in The Villages. You may pay a bit more here; but, I am happy with my warm and fuzzy active lifestyle here.
I hope everyone is happy with whatever choice they make. We are very happy with living here and that is just confirmed every time I travel outside of this community.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Funny girl-- so happy that you like TV. However, please don't put down the other communities. There are other 55+ communities that are even more beautiful than TV. We have been all over Florida and there is much to offer for all different types of people. TV does lead in the active living participation type of lifestyle, I believe. Not everyone is attuned to this much activity and TV is busy; others may like a more laid-back lifestyle which is harder to find here. I have a friend on the water who would live nowhere else; he seems to need that solitude. So be it. ..... nothing wrong with either......just a different choice and isn't it nice to have choices...........
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM

We have friends who live in Stonecrest, & the wife has repeatedly said that they don't have the advantages of volunteer-conducted clubs & classes, nor do they have a library, as we do in The Villages. If they really want to enjoy those activities, they must drive a distance and/or pay for them (I've belonged to health clubs, & it's not cheap). Of course, our Wellness Center is superb, but we don't have to buy a membership. I've enjoyed their monthly excercise classes, which are reasonable in cost. Stonecrest doesn't appeal to me at all. It seems cold & lifeless.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.