Alternative for internet service???

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
I'm with you on the TV Dirigo but don't the the hubby would be able to do without his baseball games and westerns!
Ahhhh yes...the sports nut would have to have cable or satellite TV that's for sure. Not a sports watcher myself, except for The Masters that is...and of course, the Super Bowl...love the ads...and the lovely Diane prefers a good book over television unless its a good British mystery show.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

If you have an iPhone you can have it become a "hotspot" to drive up to 5 other devices including computers. Costs an extra $20 per month to do so. You turn the feature on when when you anticipate needing it and turn it off when you don't. They pro rate the $20 based on days use.

While in the hotspot mode one can also tether their iPhone directly to a computer for internet access.

I used to use a Verizon air card (469 per month) but picked up an iPhone and pay less $$ per month when I use it as a hotspot...which is anytime we are away from TV.

btk
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 PM

I just moved to The Villages on October 25th. Today I received my first Comcast Bill.

$89.10 which includes $29.95 installation. So my next bill should be in the neighborhood
$59.15 /month. TV charge is $16.96/month (for what I call basic TV). Internet is $36.99/month. So far the internet service is OK, but slower than my RR turbo in Vestal, NY.

I also subscribe to MLB, over the internet, which gives me more than enough baseball. That said I am shut out for live broadcasts, in NY when to Phillies play the Mets, plus all NYY games are delayed. But they are available on demand.

I am making due with my cell phone after having a land line with the same number for 60 years. So far not a problem that I know of. Thinking of using Skype for a "land line" here in Florida. I understand I can transport Skype to NY at no additional charge. Would be interested if anyone knows about this.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Gold member
Default Droid Razor

Just brought home a trial phone.

New Droid Razor As we are long time Verizon customers we will be Grand fathered with unlimited Data.

Could not stall this phone. The speed on my laptop was faster than our RoadRunner Wireless. Downloads were amazing fast.

Something to consider. A cell phone as a phone and a wireless hotspot. We recieved out welcome to TV Clearlink application today. Can you all hear the shreader running?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Small caveat....

I believe that using the cellphone as a hotspot is a good alternative, while traveling.

However, you will not able to talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time. If you [or your spouse] are using the hotspot function and a call comes in, it will disconnect the internet.

New 4G phones might be different, but you should check first. Also, read the small print on your unlimited plan. Many of them throttle back the speed to 3G or even Edge (Verizon) after 5GB. The Verizon Edge network is painfully slow.

Surf on . . .
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Brighthouse

Brighthouse cable is available in Sanibel area. Anybody have any experience
with them?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Gold member
Default Tks

Processing!

LOL
Old 11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyb View Post
I just moved to The Villages on October 25th. Today I received my first Comcast Bill.

$89.10 which includes $29.95 installation. So my next bill should be in the neighborhood
$59.15 /month. TV charge is $16.96/month (for what I call basic TV). Internet is $36.99/month. So far the internet service is OK, but slower than my RR turbo in Vestal, NY.

I also subscribe to MLB, over the internet, which gives me more than enough baseball. That said I am shut out for live broadcasts, in NY when to Phillies play the Mets, plus all NYY games are delayed. But they are available on demand.

I am making due with my cell phone after having a land line with the same number for 60 years. So far not a problem that I know of. Thinking of using Skype for a "land line" here in Florida. I understand I can transport Skype to NY at no additional charge. Would be interested if anyone knows about this.
Thanks for the tip on the Basic TV @$16.95/month. I just signed up for that package after reading your post. Also got the Performance promo internet package. And they are installing the day the moving van shows up...how good is that???

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.