Amateur Radio

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
Any Amateur Radio operators here? We just moved here am I am planning on joining the club. But right now I am looking for someone that has installed a flag pole antenna? Any recommendations?
I recently installed a flagpole antenna, no radials. It works on all bands.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM

When is Congress going to get off it's duff and approve a Bill that will allow a Federally Licensed Amateur Radio operator, living in an HOA that forbids outside antennas to have an adequate antenna system? The Bill has been lanquishing in Congress for years.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Any Amateur Radio operators here? We just moved here am I am planning on joining the club. But right now I am looking for someone that has installed a flag pole antenna? Any recommendations?

We close in 2 weeks. Will come down later this year. Hope you have it worked out by then so I can get more advice. Looking forward to being there and meeting the group.

Bob
Old 05-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
I have an Expert license. I will not be there full time for a while... But joining a group sounds interesting.
What's an "Expert License." Been a ham for over 50 years and never hear of that. Could you possibly mean EXTRA?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 PM

I thought it was passed that no deed restriction could restrict amateurs from putting up an annenta?
Arrl even had an article in QST regarding it?

WA1UCG
Monarch Grove
Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
I have an Expert license. I will not be there full time for a while... But joining a group sounds interesting.
What is an expert license? Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Extra since my initial license in 1976, WD8LZK.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Interesting!
My radios have been in storage since I moved down here 8 years ago. Sorry to say I did not find the local club very inviting. Went to two of their outings and tried to talk to people but they were not very inviting, so gave up. I just dropped my membership to the ARRL, which was in my back yard when I lived in CT. figured that those days are gone. Well now maybe a little interest is back.

Besides the Antenna problem, what about running the feed line?

On a side note. I have been thinking about getting back into shortwave DXing did that back in the 60 and 70s had tons of stuff, my mail box looked like the UN. Anyone still do any of that or is that pretty much dead nowadays?
Yes I did! I remember as a kid listening to my name announced on Radio Prague at 10:30 at night! I know I have my stack of QSL cards here somewhere. I even joined some club that gave me call letters... I think it was WDX2RNK.

Wow what a blast from the past.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

Old school Amateur Extra here, got my ticket back when you needed to pass 20 wpm code , not very active now since they dumbed down the requirements.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:59 AM
John41

Quote:
I have a technician license currently working on general. I use 40, 20, 10 and 2 meter hamsticks. Drive to a high point in The Villages. Have a 5 w Yaesu transceiver. Works ok on ssb and cw. Prefer slow cw at 5 to 8 wpm. As a new solar cycle is beginning with more sunspots DXing should get better. Don’t belong to the club yet but might join after covid over.

Last edited by John41; 05-04-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Old school Amateur Extra here, got my ticket back when you needed to pass 20 wpm code , not very active now since they dumbed down the requirements.
Got my novice in Feb 1962 (still have the original ticket). I remember a year later taking my General at what was then the the FCC Building on (IIRC) Varrick St in NYC from the infamous old guy with the cigar who ran the testing center for something like 40 years. He was still there for my advanced test a number of years later. Back in those days a 15yr old (me) could safely take the train into the city from NJ and then the subway to go for the test. Ham Radio has become an old man's hobby as most young people have little interest since they can do the same thing on the web with no license. Ahhh, the good old days.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Did you run any radials ?
I did not run any radials, which I should do some day I drove 3ea 10ft ground rods and cad welded them to base. The feed line I ran under ground to my back bed room and poked a hole in the wall to run into the shack. I put my 440/2mtr vertical outside on a 15 ft pole at the back of the house. On the inside under my roof the previous owner installed aluminum backed insulation, so my whole attic has aluminum under the roof so I did not think an antenna would work to good in the attic
Closed Thread

Tags
amateur, radio, antenna, pole, flag

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.