Amazon Alexa Users - SIDWALK: You need to OPT OUT Now!

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Of course you don't seem to understand that the other side of the argument is that your phone as an example can use the Wi-Fi provided from your Alexa device if your Alexa device is closer to where you are sitting outside in your Lanai than your Wi-Fi router etc. We have unlimited internet in Florida for most Cable systems. It may not be the worst thing in the world to have them do sidewalk although almost all of us will agree it should be an opt-in system and not an opt out system
Old 06-02-2021, 06:59 AM

If you device is not third generation or newer, no need to worry. It won’t support Sidewalk so it doesn’t show up in your settings
Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Great info, thank you.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To clarify, Sidewalk doesn't use 1/40 of your internet. It will use a maximum of 80 kilobits per second. So, if you have an internet speed of 100 megabits per second, then it could possibly use 1/800 of your internet speed at any given time. Also, if you are paying for data, like on a cell phone, the data usage for Sidewalk is capped at 500 megabits per month. The internet usage is encrypted. Opting out may make you feel good, but I don't think it will make any difference for most users, and it does have some positive benefits by preventing your app from shutting down when you have an internet outage.
As a lifetime IT developer/security analyst my concern here is centered more around the security implications. Amazon is not known for security when it comes to their consumer products. Combine this with a new rollout of a feature that connects your network to other networks and makes it available to anybody passing by and you have a huge opportunity for someone to connect to your network without even having to go through a firewall or know your password.

If you don't opt out, you make yourself a nice target for these types of folks. I need to see a lot more around their "security" of this feature before I would even consider turning it on.

It is really concerning when a company can simply turn on a feature like this, and put the burden on the consumer to do research and say no. They are adding additional security risk to your network AND are taking bandwidth that you paid for. I don't care how little they are taking.

What if your bank said we are implementing a new feature to take the cents from every deposit and distribute it to others who need it to cover overdrawn accounts? And you have to opt out if you don't want us to do it?

Last edited by PoolBrews; 06-02-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 AM
Default xfinity data cap

i wonder if this wiil affect my ComcastXfinity data cap. My limit is 1 GB?
Old 06-02-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnan View Post
Note that a new feature called SIDEWALK goes live Jun 8. If you haven't OPTED OUT, Amazon will divert up to 1/40th of your internet for passerbys and neighbors.

To turn off this feature, go to the Alexa App:
Settings
Account Settings
Sidewalk -> Opt out

I am blocked from adding the article link. Just google ALEXA SIDEWALK and look for the ARS Technica article.
Sounds like the "default" setting on June 8th is "theft of service". But, if you happen to be informed and choose to take action, you can prevent that theft.

Might be a class action lawyer's dream case.
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
i wonder if this wiil affect my ComcastXfinity data cap. My limit is 1 GB?
If you are referring to your Xfinity Mobile cell phone, it won't affect your mobile data. If you are referring to your Xfinity cable TV service, your data cap should be at least 1.2 terabytes, which is way more than 1 gigabyte.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnan View Post
Note that a new feature called SIDEWALK goes live Jun 8. If you haven't OPTED OUT, Amazon will divert up to 1/40th of your internet for passerbys and neighbors.

To turn off this feature, go to the Alexa App:
Settings
Account Settings
Sidewalk -> Opt out

I am blocked from adding the article link. Just google ALEXA SIDEWALK and look for the ARS Technica article.
Another govt. regulation! Wake up people!
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

[QUOTE=retiredguy123;1953653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Apples and oranges. The Sidewalk app doesn't allow someone nearby to use your internet connection. And, no one should ever be using an unencrypted modem/router.
The back door to your router modem is thru wifi on your bing or echo device.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Wonderful info! I continue to be amazed at how these these various providers, like Amazon continually make decisions on our behalf. Apple is still bugging me that I have a shared family iPhone instead of their super NASA level security etc personal one. Sometimes I actually consider throwing all these “convenient” items away....
Old 06-02-2021, 01:36 PM

OP, thank you very much for sharing this info. I'd previously heard nothing about it and I'd prefer to opt out (to start at least).

Re Locating the Opt-Out optionfor any others who've had trouble finding it:

You have to be "in" (using) the Alexa app to make this change. I first tried to find Alexa's "Sidewalk" by getting into my device's "settings," which include a list of apps you've downloaded, and then click on the Alexa app (I thought by doing this I was following the instructions to "go to the Alexa app") and found several options to make changes, but nothing showing up re "Sidewalk."

I finally found it when I did not go into the Device settings, but went to the App icons on the device, clicked on the Alexa app, THEN went into ITS "settings" and found the Sidewalk app. So when the previous posts saying "go to the Alexa app," it means to actually open the Alexa app. As another poster mentioned, you might also get into the app via Siri.

Last edited by D.Bolen; 06-02-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I found Sidewalk turned on in my Ring app for doorbell. Carefully hidden had to go through several steps to find it. Amazon should ask first and pay me if they want to use this service.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:36 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I personally like to use my internet outside my property as well as inside. I wonder if the outside capacity is annulled by disabling the "sidewalk" option.
I already use the internet outside my house up to about 50 feet from the wireless xfinity box. Sidewalk isn’t necessary.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:41 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
As a lifetime IT developer/security analyst my concern here is centered more around the security implications. Amazon is not known for security when it comes to their consumer products. Combine this with a new rollout of a feature that connects your network to other networks and makes it available to anybody passing by and you have a huge opportunity for someone to connect to your network without even having to go through a firewall or know your password.

If you don't opt out, you make yourself a nice target for these types of folks. I need to see a lot more around their "security" of this feature before I would even consider turning it on.

It is really concerning when a company can simply turn on a feature like this, and put the burden on the consumer to do research and say no. They are adding additional security risk to your network AND are taking bandwidth that you paid for. I don't care how little they are taking.

What if your bank said we are implementing a new feature to take the cents from every deposit and distribute it to others who need it to cover overdrawn accounts? And you have to opt out if you don't want us to do it?
I bet Amazon Terms of Service will state they are not responsible for data breaches or consequent damages.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I had to let my girlfriend Alexa go my wife was very suspicious.

Doris Day - Secret Love - YouTube

George Jones-The King Is Gone - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
alexa, sidewalk, amazon, feature, opt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.