Amenities Owned by the Developer

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Gold member
Default Amenities Owned by the Developer

Read this article in todays newspaper. Gives an insight into what can go wrong when the property owners/residents do not own the ammenities in their community. Could TV golf courses be opened to the public after build out? How about pools and recreation centers? Just looking for discussion on the subject.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...mon_areas.html
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Read this article in todays newspaper. Gives an insight into what can go wrong when the property owners/residents do not own the ammenities in their community. Could TV golf courses be opened to the public after build out? How about pools and recreation centers? Just looking for discussion on the subject.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...mon_areas.html
I believe all the executive courses (thirty, +/-) are owned by the residents and I think the pools and rec centers are too.
All the championship courses (nine or ten?) are owned by the developer and have always been open to the public. So not sure how that would change when and if they are sold. Maybe some would become private or semi- private.
Could be wrong, so please someone enlighten me.
Also your link happened in Hawaii... maybe the state laws are different there.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Sage

I think the executive courses south of 466 are still owned by the developer. You're right that the championship courses are also owned by the developer. Eventually, all the executive courses will be owned by the residents. I, too, wonder about the future of the championship courses after build-out. Right now, they are priced to be self-sustaining, but if turned over to a management company who wants to make a profit (or larger profit) the fees may go up significantly. The only good thing is that there are a lot of courses nearby that have fees that are similar (and, in some cases, significantly lower) to ours. That may prevent any huge increase in fees at the championship courses.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Default If the fees for the championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I think the executive courses south of 466 are still owned by the developer. You're right that the championship courses are also owned by the developer. Eventually, all the executive courses will be owned by the residents. I, too, wonder about the future of the championship courses after build-out. Right now, they are priced to be self-sustaining, but if turned over to a management company who wants to make a profit (or larger profit) the fees may go up significantly. The only good thing is that there are a lot of courses nearby that have fees that are similar (and, in some cases, significantly lower) to ours. That may prevent any huge increase in fees at the championship courses.
courses were ever raised substantially, I think that many would stop playing them. These courses aren't nice enough that people would pay a lot of money to play.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM

People not the golf courses make TV great and a wonderful place to be each and every day.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Per the Covenants and Restrictions that you signed when you purchased your home in TV:

(g) Purchasers of Homesites further agree, by the acceptance of their deeds and the payment of the purchase price therefore, acknowledge that the purchase price was solely for the purchase of their Homesite or Homesites, and that the owners, their heirs, successors and assigns, do not have any right, title or claim or interest in and to the recreational areas, security facilities, dedicated or reserved areas or facilities contained therein or appurtenant thereto, by reason of the purchase of their respective Homesites, it being specifically agreed that, (1) the Developer, its successors and assigns, is the sole and exclusive owner of the areas and facilities, and (2) the Contractual Amenities Fee is a fee for services and is in no way adjusted according to the cost of providing those services.

The developer set up two special districts (the VCCDD and SLCDD) which he has total control over. He has sold some of the executive golf cources to thos CDD’s and pocketed the cash, but he still maintain total control over those two CDDs.

In short, the residents of TV do not and never will own any of the rec centers, pools , executive courses, etc. etc. etc.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

For many years, The Villages has advertised "Play Free Golf For Life". Of course, we know this is a bit of a stretch, since the monthly amentity fees cover the cost of maintaining the executive courses. However, this "Free Golf" pitch hasn't been used for several years now. This leads me to believe that greens fees for the executive courses is in our future.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Gold member

I agree that the outside golf course fees will dictate what TV golf courses charge. I'm sure that those that have purchased golf couse front lots (as we plan to do) are concerned that the golf courses remain profitable to protect their home lot investment. The worst thing that could happen is to have the golf courses go under and have the landowner build more homes or businesses on the property. Does anyone know if the zoning would allow that?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
For many years, The Villages has advertised "Play Free Golf For Life". Of course, we know this is a bit of a stretch, since the monthly amentity fees cover the cost of maintaining the executive courses. However, this "Free Golf" pitch hasn't been used for several years now. This leads me to believe that greens fees for the executive courses is in our future.
Per the Covenants and Restrictions that you signed when you purchased your home in TV:

(a) The Developer or its designee shall perpetually provide the recreational facilities.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Up north I have seen many cases of golf courses being changed from 27 or 18 holes to 18 and 9 holes. Sometimes no holes. High density housing usually replaced the open land even though single family houses were on the courses originally. I hope this will not be the case in TV as I live on one of the Palmer nines.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default We own our courses....

Many years ago in a board meeting I was told " John, if your going to eavesdrop, pay attention " and I might pass on this piece of advice to some of these posters.

We here north of 466 already own the our executive courses , our rec centers , swimming pools and tennis courts and as for the "FREE FOR LIFE ADD ON TV" I heard it again just 3 days ago on national TV......So lets try to keep our criticisms accurate about the neatest retirement spot known to man.........I say again ,
.... IF YOUR GOING TO EAVESDROP , PAY ATTENTION......

Golf front owner ....fumar...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Many years ago in a board meeting I was told " John, if your going to eavesdrop, pay attention " and I might pass on this piece of advice to some of these posters.

We here north of 466 already own the our executive courses , our rec centers , swimming pools and tennis courts and as for the "FREE FOR LIFE ADD ON TV" I heard it again just 3 days ago on national TV......So lets try to keep our criticisms accurate about the neatest retirement spot known to man.........I say again ,

Sorry, Fumar, the executive courses and other recreational facilities north of 466 are owned by the Village Center Community Development District (VCCDD), managed by Janet Tutt, who reports to Board of Supervisors that are elected/appointed by the property owners in the Village Center, who are none other than (drum roll), the Morse Family. The transaction that sold these facilities to the VCCDD is the one that is being looked at by the IRS because the purchase was done with tax free bonds. You do own the nice flower beds along the roadside and at the traffic circles, you also own the new cart paths. Hope that makes you feel better.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
Sorry, Fumar, the executive courses and other recreational facilities north of 466 are owned by the Village Center Community Development District (VCCDD), managed by Janet Tutt, who reports to Board of Supervisors that are elected/appointed by the property owners in the Village Center, who are none other than (drum roll), the Morse Family. The transaction that sold these facilities to the VCCDD is the one that is being looked at by the IRS because the purchase was done with tax free bonds. You do own the nice flower beds along the roadside and at the traffic circles, you also own the new cart paths. Hope that makes you feel better.
Sorry iaudit .....You may want reread my post and then read yours
'property owners own the courses and rec centers , the developer doesn't.....
The tax matter will fade in the sunset just as it has the last two times........as you already know the agent has been reassigned and it was not a promotion ...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry iaudit .....You may want reread my post and then read yours
'property owners own the courses and rec centers , the developer doesn't.....
The tax matter will fade in the sunset just as it has the last two times........as you already know the agent has been reassigned and it was not a promotion ...
Sorry, Fumar, follow this link:
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...px?district=vc

It tells you all about the VCCDD. In particular, it says:

The District is comprised of commercial properties owned by The Villages of Lake-Sumter, Incorporated, and various other commercial entities.(Morse Family)

Inasmuch as there are no residential properties contained within the boundaries of the Village Center Community Development District, members of the Board of Supervisors will continue to be elected by the landowners of property within the boundaries of the District (Morse Family)

Among the services provided by Village Center Community Development District to residential properties within The Villages are security, fire and emergency medical first response (non-transport) services, recreational facilities and services, stormwater collection and distribution and treated effluent distribution, and executive golf.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Gold member
Default The amenities are not owned by the residents and never will be

Quote:

I'm afraid that you are mistaken, and I cannot imagine where you got your information.

You own NONE of the above amenities, and, as earlier posters have pointed out, you never will. What you have is a contractual right to receive access to them, in exchange for your monthly amenities fees. You can get a basic, but spinned, explanation of the basic system by attending one of the community development orientation programs put on by the district government.

The amenities north of 466 are, in fact, owned by the Villages Center Community Development District, which is basically the district that encompasses Spanish Springs. Virtually all the property in that District is owned by the Developer. Therefore, the District's board members are all designated by the Developer.

Some aspects of the system glossed over in the orientation program: (1) pending IRS investigation of the tax-exempt bonds used to finance the whole system; and (2) class-action law suit (settled for $40 million) against the Developer and the VCCDD when the VCCDD failed to maintain the amenities. Both the investigation and the law suit are based on the Developer's alleged overpricing of the the amenities (and amenities' contracts) sold by the Developer to the VCCDD.

It's complicated, but you can go to the Property Owners' Association website and check back issues of the Bulletin for details. www.poa4us.org Or, check the Lauren Ritchie's Orlando Sentinel articles on the subject (a little inflammatory, I admit).

You are spot on about two things, however: (1) This is a neat retirement spot; and (2) It is good to pay attention as to what is going on. We shouldn't get caught up in the neatness of this place, turn off our brains, and not look at what is going on underneath the surface-- if we want this place to remain a neat retirement spot.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.