Amenity Fees

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Default Amenity Fees

Do the Amenity fees vary depending on when you bought your home or its purchase price?

I read an article in the paper or on THE VILLAGES NEWS (can't remember which) that said Amenity fees were going up to $159 for new sales and resales, an increase from the current $145. But we pay $148.19 so I am a little confused. (Yes I know $3 difference is not a big deal, still . . . )
Old 10-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Yes when you buy either resale or new, fees are now $159 per month.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Do the Amenity fees vary depending on when you bought your home or its purchase price?

I read an article in the paper or on THE VILLAGES NEWS (can't remember which) that said Amenity fees were going up to $159 for new sales and resales, an increase from the current $145. But we pay $148.19 so I am a little confused. (Yes I know $3 difference is not a big deal, still . . . )
Here is a post from Oct 2018 that is Headlines in todays Dec 2018 POA as news and makes it sound like all of our Amenity Fees are going up. Yet, when I read the article, I don't think my amenity fees are going up.

I do not see any recent comment. Am I not seeing something, or is this a Taboo topic in this forum?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

My current amenity fee is $150.70 for a house I purchased new in February, 2016. It has increased by about 3 dollars since I bought the house. I think it is a bargain. It certainly is not a taboo topic for me.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

This thread has your answers.
Amenity fees increase
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We closed on a pre-owned home a little over 3 years ago in 2015. Our amenity fee for November was $153.07. In my opinion, that's a great bargain for all the wonderful amenities we get to enjoy!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

The was an error in the POA article, the current Deferral Rate for areas north and south of CR466 is $155 not $145. The correct amount is stated later in the article. Your rate can be any where up to $155 depending on when you purchased and the CPI adjustments since. The Prevailing Rate of $159 is what has been established for all new sales and resales after 1 October. According to the information received by PWAC last month the $159 will also be the Defferal Rate for those under this new higher rate until a new/higher Deferral Rate is established by the AAC/PWAC.

As the POA article stated in approximately 4 years the Deferral Rate impact will be sufficient that amenities costs will be greater than the fees collected. Then we have a budget crisis on our hands. We either have to adjust the Deferral Rate higher or start deficit spending like the federal government. This is why the AAC and PWAC will be having a joint meeting in 2019 to discuss and establish a new Deferral Rate or possibly even eliminate the Deferral Rate altogether.

The costs for amenities continue to rise every year due to rising labor, material, and energy costs. There is no profit or greed factor in these costs on the operating level as all the amenities properties north of 44 are now government owned and operated. The developer does not control or operate the amenities north of 44 and has no say in the budgeting process for these costs.

The amenities rates going up is inevitable for that there is no doubt. This will of course raise the most commotion and noise because it will hit everyone in the wallet and is the most visible. The real battle that needs to be fought and people need be more in tune with is WHO establishes the rates, the developer or we as the residents through our representatives on the AAC and PWAC. It is a complex issue with many moving parts involved but as a resident and district supervisor my opinion is that we, the residents who pay for and use the amenities, should be in control of this critical portion of our community.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 03-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage

Thank you for your excellent summation of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The was an error in the POA article, the current Deferral Rate for areas north and south of CR466 is $155 not $145. The correct amount is stated later in the article. Your rate can be any where up to $155 depending on when you purchased and the CPI adjustments since. The Prevailing Rate of $159 is what has been established for all new sales and resales after 1 October. According to the information received by PWAC last month the $159 will also be the Defferal Rate for those under this new higher rate until a new/higher Deferral Rate is established by the AAC/PWAC.

As the POA article stated in approximately 4 years the Deferral Rate impact will be sufficient that amenities costs will be greater than the fees collected. Then we have a budget crisis on our hands. We either have to adjust the Deferral Rate higher or start deficit spending like the federal government. This is why the AAC and PWAC will be having a joint meeting in 2019 to discuss and establish a new Deferral Rate or possibly even eliminate the Deferral Rate altogether.

The costs for amenities continue to rise every year due to rising labor, material, and energy costs. There is no profit or greed factor in these costs on the operating level as all the amenities properties north of 44 are now government owned and operated. The developer does not control or operate the amenities north of 44 and has no say in the budgeting process for these costs. They have apparently retained ownership and control of determining the rate that can be charged for amenities throughout The Villages. It’s this continued control of the prevailing rate and how it can be legally justified with no ownership interests by the developer that has me enraged.

The amenities rates going up is inevitable for that there is no doubt. This will of course raise the most commotion and noise because it will hit everyone in the wallet and is the most visible. The real battle that needs to be fought and people need be more in tune with is WHO establishes the rates, the developer or we as the residents through our representatives on the AAC and PWAC. It is a complex issue with many moving parts involved but as a resident and district supervisor my opinion is that we, the residents who pay for and use the amenities, should be in control of this critical portion of our community.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM

I purchased new on Sept 19, 2014 between 466a and 44. My fee is 153.30. Been increasing every year.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Amenity fees

I side with Goldwing Nut. We don't get a vote. Okay, the increase may only be a few bucks, but the timing stinks. The investment market is in turmoil. Research shows an increasing number of Americans fearful of rising costs for everything. Spending could go down as a result, but the CPI may still rise, which could lead to further amenity fee increases. Keep buyin' them lottery tickets, ya'all.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I side with Goldwing Nut. We don't get a vote. Okay, the increase may only be a few bucks, but the timing stinks. The investment market is in turmoil. Research shows an increasing number of Americans fearful of rising costs for everything. Spending could go down as a result, but the CPI may still rise, which could lead to further amenity fee increases. Keep buyin' them lottery tickets, ya'all.
If people could vote on amenity fees they would vote NO and The Villages would begin to look like the rest of the country...in need of repair.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
If people could vote on amenity fees they would vote NO and The Villages would begin to look like the rest of the country...in need of repair.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
100%
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Can't understand the bitching about the amenity fee. For what it gives in return, I don't see how it keeps so low.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

I've lived in a non-luxury condo complex in one of the most expensive states in the country (Connecticut). Our condo fee (which is similar to an amenity fee) was around $90. That was back between 1989 and 2002 which is when we moved to our current house in a nearby town. There was no golf course, no sidewalks, no walking trails, no pool, no clubhouse, no basketball court, no sports area, no restaurants, no town square, no dancing or movie theatre or even a meeting room. We had - nothing. For our $90/month they plowed the snow, mowed the lawn, maintained the trees and shrubs, paved the road when it needed, lined the parking spaces, and maintained the lighting along the drives between buildings.

At $150 in 2018, I'd say you're getting an INCREDIBLE deal for your money. I'd say, in fact, that the only reason you're getting such an incredible deal is because they've packed you in by the tens of thousands, in a relatively small amount of space. If they gave you 1/4 acre per homesite, AND golf, clubhouses, landscaping, fire department, etc. etc. etc - they'd have to give you not even 1/4 of what you get, and charge you twice as much for the privilege.
Closed Thread

Tags
amenity, fees, current, $145, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.