Amenity Fees

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
If people could vote on amenity fees they would vote NO and The Villages would begin to look like the rest of the country...in need of repair.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 PM
Sage

Your condo fee and our amenities fee are not comparable. The amenities fee is for the maintenance of the amenities (executive golf courses, rec centers, etc.). Your condo fee is for the maintenance of your condo and common properties. We also pay about $500 per year for the maintenance of the common properties. It sounds like your condo owned the roads so you were responsible for that. Here, the roads are owned by the county, except for CYVs, so they are maintained by the county. You were also probably saving up money for things like the common roof repairs. Here, each owner is responsible for their own roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I've lived in a non-luxury condo complex in one of the most expensive states in the country (Connecticut). Our condo fee (which is similar to an amenity fee) was around $90. That was back between 1989 and 2002 which is when we moved to our current house in a nearby town. There was no golf course, no sidewalks, no walking trails, no pool, no clubhouse, no basketball court, no sports area, no restaurants, no town square, no dancing or movie theatre or even a meeting room. We had - nothing. For our $90/month they plowed the snow, mowed the lawn, maintained the trees and shrubs, paved the road when it needed, lined the parking spaces, and maintained the lighting along the drives between buildings.

At $150 in 2018, I'd say you're getting an INCREDIBLE deal for your money. I'd say, in fact, that the only reason you're getting such an incredible deal is because they've packed you in by the tens of thousands, in a relatively small amount of space. If they gave you 1/4 acre per homesite, AND golf, clubhouses, landscaping, fire department, etc. etc. etc - they'd have to give you not even 1/4 of what you get, and charge you twice as much for the privilege.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 AM

I was also concerned by potential increases in the amenity fees when we bought in 2010. My analysis at that time said that even if they doubled the price, which far exceeds the COL limitation, they beat the heck out of any other option.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I side with Goldwing Nut. We don't get a vote. Okay, the increase may only be a few bucks, but the timing stinks. The investment market is in turmoil. Research shows an increasing number of Americans fearful of rising costs for everything. Spending could go down as a result, but the CPI may still rise, which could lead to further amenity fee increases. Keep buyin' them lottery tickets, ya'all.
Unfortunately, timing almost always stinks, at least for some of those affected. Debt used to build and improve productivity seems to me to be justified. Debt used to maintain and pay for day to day operations is nearly always a bad idea. In these cases "pay as you go' is more prudent and less debilitating as time passes. Amenity fees should be raised in order to keep pace (with some cushion) of expenses.. There!! I said it and I am glad
Old 12-06-2018, 07:30 AM

Don’t really see $5.00 or $10.00 more per month bankrupting any Villager and it’s not in anyone’s financial interest to see the Community degrade in any way. All of the things we enjoy, are proud of and made us willing to invest here cost money and increase over time. After all, you can’t get a Hershey bar for a nickel anymore
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Can't understand the bitching about the amenity fee. For what it gives in return, I don't see how it keeps so low.

Some people just love to bitch.

They are happier expressing Poor Me.

I've heard people bitch about getting only one pickle on their cheeseburger.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you're getting your money's worth . I've seen the the grass ripped out and replanted on the Northside of El Camino Real near Spanish Plaines Plaza three to four times in the past 4 years and it's still all weeds. So, I'd say the oversight and common sense is an issue with increased fees. Not to mention the LAKE at Alhambra on El Camino Real is empty, and full of sinkholes for the past year. A real jewel in the Developers crown.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

It's worth it.

Considering how much people spend per year to maintain their small yard............$150 for the entire Villages properties and facilities is a deal.

Just like your yard and your flowers and your bushes.........there are bad spots.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

From the 1/23/2019 presentation to the Amenity Authority Committee by Barbara E. Kays, Budget Director covering a 10 year projection and more as found on the districtgov.org web site. Interesting !

click to see the 10 year fund balance/Amenity Fee calculation and click to see the powerpoint presentation to cover other spending issues and forecasts

Coversheet
Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
From the 1/23/2019 presentation to the Amenity Authority Committee by Barbara E. Kays, Budget Director covering a 10 year projection and more as found on the districtgov.org web site. Interesting !

click to see the 10 year fund balance/Amenity Fee calculation and click to see the powerpoint presentation to cover other spending issues and forecasts

Coversheet

Good info TwoPlaneKid. For clarification to everyone on this, the numbers shown in the PowerPoint are for the AAC, the areas north of CR466. They show substantial cash reserves on their balance sheet, I'm assuming these are mainly from the lawsuit settlement. They (the AAC) will have to make a decision to either deplete their reserves or raise or abolish the deferral rate to compensate.

South of CR466 the numbers are much larger and not as optimistic due to less reserves and larger number of houses. In about 4 years nearly all homes will be at the deferral rate and the projected expenses will exceed the revenues. SLAD would then either have to reduce services or accumulate debt if the deferral rate isn't raised or abolished.

Costs of services, material, and labor go up every year. Nobody wants their amenities fees to go up but it's become a necessary or suffer from cutbacks.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Different payments for access to amenities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Can't understand the bitching about the amenity fee. For what it gives in return, I don't see how it keeps so low.
I believe that most complaints revolves around residents being charged different amenity fee amounts. Many residents (right or wrong) think that is wrong and the fee should be the same for everyone. Just my two cents.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Fees

[QUOTE=HIgolfers;1588960]Do the Amenity fees vary depending on when you bought your home or its purchase price?

I read an article in the paper or on THE VILLAGES NEWS (can't remember which) that said Amenity fees were going up to $159 for

Hi we met a couple selling their home,,,,,,,,,,,,, the are getting out and they said, from a good source, the increases are going to be huge, they are losing their butt on the over expansion and overbuilding in Fenney etc. So they will hit us up for more money to cover their losses?

We are planning to move as soon as we can and we know we will be selling at a loss. The all knowing Morse offspring has lost it and will be desperate as they not clearing their millions every month. So it goes, made a mistake coming here. We are sure we will lost 40 to 50 K, we bought when it was high. they are now flooding the market with homes, 'Sorry
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

[QUOTE=Brawnwy123;1619000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Do the Amenity fees vary depending on when you bought your home or its purchase price?

I read an article in the paper or on THE VILLAGES NEWS (can't remember which) that said Amenity fees were going up to $159 for

Hi we met a couple selling their home,,,,,,,,,,,,, the are getting out and they said, from a good source, the increases are going to be huge, they are losing their butt on the over expansion and overbuilding in Fenney etc. So they will hit us up for more money to cover their losses?

We are planning to move as soon as we can and we know we will be selling at a loss. The all knowing Morse offspring has lost it and will be desperate as they not clearing their millions every month. So it goes, made a mistake coming here. We are sure we will lost 40 to 50 K, we bought when it was high. they are now flooding the market with homes, 'Sorry
For those that want information, please read post #7 in this thread by GoldWingNut.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Everyone has their own value system they must answer to....so no judgement on those that leave. I do know several folks that live with HOA fees of $300+ and aren't close to having the amenities that are here. So for those leaving, I wish you the best in finding the compromise that will work for you. For those staying, you can expect your fees to increase (at least lets hope so) but the bang for the buck will still be IMO, great value.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
amenity, fees, current, $145, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.