Amenity fees

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I don't live in The Villages yet, but I think the Amenity fee is very reasonable and I would expect them to go up over time. The prices of things don't stay static, I wouldn't expect the fees to remain so either.
Absolutely agree with this. Do I 'like' that I'm paying more per month after actually buying our home, than when I first looked at the home? Nope. What really bugs me is that it was a difference of a week. We had locked in our offer in February. We closed a week later, in March. And because of that, we have to pay the higher monthly rate.

[edit: hey my math was wrong! Check out the new numbers, not as bad! Still a lunch or a couple of drinks in a year's time we wouldn't get to enjoy but...]

Sure it's only a couple of bucks, but a couple of bucks, per month, for a year (minimum) and that's almost a lawn service bill for a month. Or just over half a week's grocery bill. Or a couple of movie tickets and hotdogs, that we would otherwise not be able to enjoy.

In other words, it's over $25 less that we have available to spend on anything else, this coming year, at the very minimum. All because of one week.

HOWEVER...
the fact that the total is so reasonable in the first place, means it's affordable. If a $100/year increase was a deal-breaker, we wouldn't have put in the offer in the first place, we would've found a less expensive property in the Villages or in another state.

I'd like to see everyone in the Villages pay the same amenity fee. Not gonna happen, but I'll never understand why it is that we all can enjoy the same amenities and some people get to pay less than we do, just because they bought their home before I did. Their amenities cost the same, whether it's them or us using them.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 04-17-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Statistically as seniors within a 55 and over community age they use fewer amenities, especially golf courses, tennis courts and gyms, as they are not as physically vigorous as they once were. Furthermore many retirees are more or less on fixed incomes which over time with inflation means they have less to spend. Considering these factors the current amenity fee structure makes sense to me. Nonetheless, the cap may have to be raised to maintain the infrastructure.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Effective 1 October 2018 the prevailing rate for all new home and resales was increased to $159 for homes sold after this date. There is no CPI adjustment being applied to the $159 because it is at or above the current deferral rate of $155.

On 1 October 2019 the "deferral rate" will end and subsequently on the anniversary of you home sale the amenity rate will be adjusted by the amount of the CPI that month for the previous 12 months. This is in accordance with the deed restrictions contract we all agreed to when we purchased.

So yes, because you purchased in March, be it new or a resale, the correct amenity rate is $159. In March of next year you will see an increase based on the CPI, which for the last few years has run 1.5-2% annually. Everyone else who purchased after 1 October 2018 are also paying the $159 rate.
Thanks, I have no issue with the $159 and knew going in that the fee would be $159. Just found it odd that no one was talking about anything over $155.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage
Default Amenity fees

I have been here for 13 years. My amenity fee has gone from $125/month to $155 in that time, an approximate 25% total increase or roughly less than 2% per year while the number and quality of amenities have increased.

For perspective, during that same period my auto insurance has doubled, with no claims.

So, I’m in the camp that says we get great value for our amenity fee. I never expected it to stay the same and am pleased that it has increased at a very reasonable rate.

Gold wing...one thing you said was new to me, if I interpreted it correctly. It sounds as if there are 3 amenity budgets...N of 466, 466 to 44, and below 44, each directed and managed and approved by a separate central CDD. Could this lead to an inconsistent application of amenity fees? For example, one area puts more into executive golf course maintenance while another central district decides to skimp there...thus leading to uneven conditions. I always viewed the amenities as a single entity, usable to all, with a consistent level of funding for maintenance and operation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I have been here for 13 years. My amenity fee has gone from $125/month to $155 in that time, an approximate 25% total increase or roughly less than 2% per year while the number and quality of amenities have increased.

For perspective, during that same period my auto insurance has doubled, with no claims.

So, I’m in the camp that says we get great value for our amenity fee. I never expected it to stay the same and am pleased that it has increased at a very reasonable rate.

Gold wing...one thing you said was new to me, if I interpreted it correctly. It sounds as if there are 3 amenity budgets...N of 466, 466 to 44, and below 44, each directed and managed and approved by a separate central CDD. Could this lead to an inconsistent application of amenity fees? For example, one area puts more into executive golf course maintenance while another central district decides to skimp there...thus leading to uneven conditions. I always viewed the amenities as a single entity, usable to all, with a consistent level of funding for maintenance and operation.
Technically you are correct, there are 3 budgets associated with the amenities: the Recreations Amenities Division (RAD) budget that manages the amenities north of CR466, the Sumter Landing Amenities Division (SLAD) budget that manages the amenities between CR466 and SR44, and the developer's operations budget for the amenities south of SR44.

The RAD budget is managed by the AAC and approved by the VCCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The SLAD budget is managed by the PWAC and approved by the SLCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The developer's budget for amenities south of SR44 is a private business and not subject to public disclosure. They own the amenities and operate them as a part of their overall business.

While it is possible that there could be different levels of care and maintenance to the facilities in these three areas, it is currently not an issue. It could become an issue if the ability to fund the maintenance and operation of the amenities is jeopardized. This is one of the reasons that the Deferral Rate is being eliminated and we are going back to the contract terms we all agreed to when we purchase our homes. There are also continued extraordinary efforts by the District Staff and the various departments on finding cost savings, economies, and improved operating strategies to help fill any budget gaps.

A key to maintaining consistency throughout The Villages is the use of a single District Staff by all areas to develop the contracts and scope of services as well as having one managing entity for all. There is only one Recreation Department that oversees all three areas.

Part of what prevents different levels of service are the existing inter-local agreements between the three entities that mandates equal treatment and availability of amenities for all residents regardless of where they live in The Villages. Another key factor that drives maintaining the level of service and condition of the amenities is the bonds that have been issued to purchase them, any reduction or degradation of service or maintenance that would impact the value of the amenities will impact the value of the bonds. This is not something we want to or could afford.

The governing bodies strive hard to maintain a consistent level of service and quality across all of The Villages, and for the average Villages one or three budgets, it goes unnoticed.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 04-17-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Technically you are correct, there are 3 budgets associated with the amenities: the Recreations Amenities Division (RAD) budget that manages the amenities north of CR466, the Sumter Landing Amenities Division (SLAD) budget that manages the amenities between CR466 and SR44, and the developer's operations budget for the amenities south of SR44.

The RAD budget is managed by the AAC and approved by the VCCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The SLAD budget is managed by the PWAC and approved by the SLCDD. All budgets and records are available for public review and input.
The developer's budget for amenities south of SR44 is a private business and not subject to public disclosure. They own the amenities and operate them as a part of their overall business.

While it is possible that there could be different levels of care and maintenance to the facilities in these three areas, it is currently not an issue. It could become an issue if the ability to fund the maintenance and operation of the amenities is jeopardized. This is one of the reasons that the Deferral Rate is being eliminated and we are going back to the contract terms we all agreed to when we purchase our homes. There are also continued extraordinary efforts by the District Staff and the various departments on finding cost savings, economies, and improved operating strategies to help fill any budget gaps.

A key to maintaining consistency throughout The Villages is the use of a single District Staff by all areas to develop the contracts and scope of services as well as having one managing entity for all. There is only one Recreation Department that oversees all three areas.

Part of what prevents different levels of service are the existing inter-local agreements between the three entities that mandates equal treatment and availability of amenities for all residents regardless of where they live in The Villages. Another key factor that drives maintaining the level of service and condition of the amenities is the bonds that have been issued to purchase them, any reduction or degradation of service or maintenance that would impact the value of the amenities will impact the value of the bonds. This is not something we want to or could afford.

The governing bodies strive hard to maintain a consistent level of service and quality across all of The Villages, and for the average Villages one or three budges, it goes unnoticed.
Good question Villages 07 and most informative and reassuring response.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Do I 'like' that I'm paying more per month after actually buying our home, than when I first looked at the home? Nope. What really bugs me is that it was a difference of a week. We had locked in our offer in February. We closed a week later, in March. And because of that, we have to pay the higher monthly rate.

[edit: hey my math was wrong! Check out the new numbers, not as bad! Still a lunch or a couple of drinks in a year's time we wouldn't get to enjoy but...]

Sure it's only a couple of bucks, but a couple of bucks, per month, for a year (minimum) and that's almost a lawn service bill for a month. Or just over half a week's grocery bill. Or a couple of movie tickets and hotdogs, that we would otherwise not be able to enjoy.

In other words, it's over $25 less that we have available to spend on anything else, this coming year, at the very minimum. All because of one week.

HOWEVER...
the fact that the total is so reasonable in the first place, means it's affordable. If a $100/year increase was a deal-breaker, we wouldn't have put in the offer in the first place, we would've found a less expensive property in the Villages or in another state.

I'd like to see everyone in the Villages pay the same amenity fee. Not gonna happen, but I'll never understand why it is that we all can enjoy the same amenities and some people get to pay less than we do, just because they bought their home before I did. Their amenities cost the same, whether it's them or us using them.
When you "locked in" the price of your house, it had nothing to do with the amenity fee. Your broker neglected to inform you that all resale have increase amenity fee.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

I am probably in the minority but have not been aware of any rate change affecting me by $40 to $50/month or 25%. Haven't had any neighbors complaining. What have I missed? I live in The Village of Caroline.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenod View Post
When you "locked in" the price of your house, it had nothing to do with the amenity fee. Your broker neglected to inform you that all resale have increase amenity fee.
I'm thinking you didn't understand any of my post. I apologize for not being clear enough.

I knew in advance that closing in March would mean that my fee would be higher, than if I had closed in February. Knowing this is exactly why I was (very slightly) annoyed: because our closing was just a week too late to get in on the lower rate.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, budget, million, raise, item

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.