Amenity fees

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM

There was a story in TVN that the board voted to eliminate the amenity fee cap - which seems like a smart move to me.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default amenity fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just a quick question, can anyone find a place anywhere on earth were they can get more amenities for about $155 per month? I know I can't. So if my fees go up by the CPI each year I am good with that.
AMEN !!!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Let's hope Bowtoc gives you a thank you and doesn't just fade away. I for one appreciate what you do and the information your provide....having someone plow through the misinformation and speculation is needed here and your inputs more than fill that need.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The current set-up only gives a “break” to those who stay put and don’t purchase another house. Even though I have lived in The Villages for 13 years and paid my amenity fees, If I move (new or resale) I will pay more. Go figure. Somehow that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
It sounds like rent control ("rent stabilization") in NYC: Rent stays the same until you move. I'm sure all fixed-income Villagers are "for" that.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 AM

You are right A BIG thank you is in order
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM

How about charging fees based on how many people live in each home? It's not fair that a single person pays the same fees as a household of 2 or 3 or more.
We moved here expecting the amenities fees to remain fairly stable. Now there's talk of deleting the cap. Many folks are on a fixed income or no income at all and living on their savings.
Some don't use the golf courses, etc but are paying. When more people are in a home, chances are they are using the amenities much more than a single person. Wouldn't it make sense for them to pay more?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Reply

2.33 a month? Less than a good coffee. Imagine if all the rec centers and grounds went to pot.

You live in a development like no other for a mere pittance. Go visit places outside the bubble, really. Check the prices of run down trailer parks per month....then head home and celebrate having made the decision to live in The Villages.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
The raising of fees brings to mind a few questions:

There was no mention of such a need two years ago when we purchased. Now they can see 10 years ahead?
What are the monies used for by item?
With a 70 million dollar budget I was expected to have a cost reduction program. What has been done in the villages?
Will we all be paying for new facilities south of 44?
The contract we signed when purchasing was no good? So I can decide also what I want to change, like bond?
The presentation for raising rates stated that failure to raise would result in a loss of 50 million. It could very easily be taken to mean we would be 50 in the hole. This should be a prediction of our current status in 10 years.
I seriously doubt that anyone can predict ten years ahead!
Are we allowed to see a line item of past and future budget and actual?
Are we being asked for such a large raise in anticipation of all settling for something less?
I understand that 40 50 dollars per month would be no problem for some but a significant problem for others A 25 % increase for such a short term seems a little much.
I also understand that some will take issue with my concerns but I think several others would also agree.
Just my opinion.

A
This post reminds me of recent complaints after table tennis club members were advised that Laurel Manor Recreation Center will be closed for the month of July, ostensibly to replace rugs that appear to be in excellent condition. In this regard, periodic refurbishing on a rotational basis of all Villages Recreation Centers occurs, apparently regardless of necessity or cost. During maintenance, all scheduled activities are cancelled. At Laurel Manor, there are 8 table tennis tables usually occupied four times each week by more than 40 players. Recreation Center rooms used for table tennis (and numerous other activities) have wooden floors and separate exits outdoors. Do others share concerns about questionable amenity fee expenditures and curtailment of scheduled activities?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM

They are dropping the deferral rate....which means cap. There will be no cap as there is now, and that would be for all Villagers. The north of 466 thing refers to the fact that there are more people there paying lesser fees as they have lived there longer & started at a lower fee, and the rate can only go up yearly by the CPI increase. Before the proposed change they would top out at the deferral rate just like everyone else, but would just take longer to get there. Now there will be no deferral rate, or cap, to top out at...for anyone.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Default Pay more now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Well, you -could- just pay more now instead. Have everyone pay the same. It'd a be a lot easier, cost-effective, and less expensive to do the accounting for, if every property was assessed the same amenity fee every month. They each have access to the same amenities, so I don't see a problem with that.
I agree completely! They must pay a fortune just to keep all of the information straight. Everyone should pay the same amount.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slmtraveler View Post
I agree completely! They must pay a fortune just to keep all of the information straight. Everyone should pay the same amount.
Maybe part of their $2,000,000,000 in assets is a computer that does that for them.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM

The POA just put information about this same issue. Join the POA and attend their meetings will get you more informed.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
There was a story in TVN that the board voted to eliminate the amenity fee cap - which seems like a smart move to me.
So the contract I signed that placed the cap is going to go away?

Doesn't seem right.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Please keep in mind people may join TOTV before they purchase or move to The Villages, like me, to get a sense of what’s going on and see if they want to live there, or join many years after arriving, so we can’t truly base anything on a join date. But your point is well taken about getting the info from ‘official’ sources. I will be moving there next month and appreciate your knowledge of the goings on.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just a quick question, can anyone find a place anywhere on earth were they can get more amenities for about $155 per month? I know I can't. So if my fees go up by the CPI each year I am good with that.
Definitely YES! While TV is a wonderful place to retire, many similar communities include lawn maintenance, gym membership, woodworking facilities, etc., etc. in their monthly fees. Also most don't have the bonds and annual fees we have to pay to each CDD district. Many residents live on fixed incomes and were misled re the fees they're obligated to pay.

IMO TV has grown too big, mainly for the benefit of the developer, not the residents. The CDDs, ACC & PWAC spend excessively just like big government and do not listen to the will of the people. Instead of concentrating on reducing spending they just raise income, i.e, fees (read taxes). When a committee refuses to allow residents to speak at a meeting or make them sit for hours before being heard is a travesty and says much.

For those who say if you're unhappy move, I say you miss the point by a long shot.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, budget, million, raise, item

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.