Golf and GPS

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Gold member
Default Golf and GPS

A couple of weeks ago i was playing at Havana CC and one of the foursome had a hand held distance finder. He said they had them ( i guess for rent) in the club house. i never got back to the club house and was just wondering if anyone has used one of them. If it is like a SkyCaddie or one of the other companies that have the GPSS distance finders, i think you can buy your own unit. just wondering if it can be programed for any course????
Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Golf and GPS

You can buy most courses oner the internet, or you can do the set up when you play a round and save it for future use.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Gold member

Thank You
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Sure wish I was good enough to worry about how far away from the hole I was.
I use the hit and hope method right now and it seems to work ok.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Eternal Member

[quote=nitehawk ]
A couple of weeks ago i was playing at Havana CC and one of the foursome had a hand held distance finder. He said they had them ( i guess for rent) in the club house. i never got back to the club house and was just wondering if anyone has used one of them. If it is like a SkyCaddie or one of the other companies that have the GPSS distance finders, i think you can buy your own unit. just wondering if it can be programed for any course????
[/quote

I recently purchased a Sky Caddie SG2 which is one of the older models. I believe they are up to SG4 or 5 now.On the SG2 you can download and install up to 10 golf courses at a time from the Sky Caddie website. You can purchase different class memberships from their site which allow ore downloads and perks. I have the $49.99 membership per year and it has all of the Villages championship courses in it. Can get a little confusing since many of the courses are 27 holes and you usually are only playing 18. Very nice toy even for us hackers.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

I have a Skycaddie, and have had it for about 2 years. I could not think of playing without it. You can program courses yourself front,center,back of green or you can download courses. Courses that are not on line must be programed by hand, which very fast &esay to do. All the courses in TV are available on line and are professionally recorded. They are easy to download. I pay 29.95 a year for my membership and this gives me the downloads and a sky vault to save my recorded courses. The device itself will hold 3 to 5 courses. It is usually good for 2 rounds on a battery charge. You will find that this one device will improve your game. Some people can look at a flag and know how far, pull a club and hit it. Not me I need a number.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Gold member

once again thanks for all of the information - if you see someone throughing a hand held unit into one of the lake it might be me thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet
Sure wish I was good enough to worry about how far away from the hole I was.
I use the hit and hope method right now and it seems to work ok.

:beer2:
Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Try intelligolf.com. The golf courses are free and for $50 it works with about every device there is that has a gps input. They have the program for both windoze and palm based units and many other devices.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

My husbnd has SkyCaddie and it has been programmed for all the Championship Courses here in the Villages. He just plugs into the computer, signs on and then downloads. He really likes it.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Since I use Intelligolf on my Palm with a Holux GPS 26, that feeds it GPS position, I received a notice of a sale on the software. You can now buy their Eagle edition that supports GPS for $60 with a 25% discount. All the golf courses are FREE and there is no charge each year. That's why I didn't buy the "other" brand. If you go to the Intelligolf.com estore just enter E25TAF in the gift certificate and promo code box. In fact you can download the program, there are several levels and try it free. FREE is hard to beat. They explain what devices are compatible with their program. :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Sage

Bogey,

I have a Palm TX (new). What do i need to get to turn it into a GPS device?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM

Google for the best price on a Holux GPS Slim236. I leave it in my golf cart and put the palm in my pocket when I play golf. As long as you are within bluetooth range you will get the gps input. If you want you can even put the gps in your pocket as well. It's only about 1/3 the size of a deck of cards. Lasts for hours and it can be charged on a usb port or they provide a cigarette lighter charger. :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.