American Flag

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Default American Flag

I've been trying to find a good place to display the American Flag on my home but can't find a stable place because of the vinyl siding. Other then putting up a free standing flag pole does anyone have any ideas?

I'll go with the free standing pole if it's my only option. I just don't want to go through getting it approved and all that.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Go for a free-standing flag pole. My age old philosophy is - "If you are going to do anything - do it right". That is right. To save you a little leg work I'll share what I went through on this matter. Two local sources, flag store on 441/27 south of 466 on the left and also at Market of Marion. I found Terry at the flea market had the best product for the best price. Locate it close to your light post so you will have an electrical source for the light you will need to illuminate it at night. Several ways to do that, and if you don't want to put near light pole they have solar lights that can be mounted on the flag pole as well as solar spot lights. Flag Day is June 14, which is right around the corner, so now you have a goal. I included the flag pole on my landscape approval so that wasn't a problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Another solution for the light is to place it on the lamp pole and aim it at the flag. Works well at our home.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage

You could also get a siding hook to disengage the lower edge of one strip of siding( easy to do when it is sun-warmed) Get a piece of wood shingle( sold as shims at home depot, small package for $2+-) slip it under the siding to fill the space behind the siding over a stud, and you have a solid attachment point.Then use the hook to re-engage the siding interlock.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I attached mine to the wide trim bordering the garage. It works well.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Default Flag pole

I use a piece of PVC and tied it to my fence near the pole light. My bottome of the flag is just above the fence.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Go for a free-standing flag pole. My age old philosophy is - "If you are going to do anything - do it right". That is right. To save you a little leg work I'll share what I went through on this matter. Two local sources, flag store on 441/27 south of 466 on the left and also at Market of Marion. I found Terry at the flea market had the best product for the best price. Locate it close to your light post so you will have an electrical source for the light you will need to illuminate it at night. Several ways to do that, and if you don't want to put near light pole they have solar lights that can be mounted on the flag pole as well as solar spot lights. Flag Day is June 14, which is right around the corner, so now you have a goal. I included the flag pole on my landscape approval so that wasn't a problem.
Of course you're right. That is what I wanted to do from the beginning so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks to all for the input.

I'm surprised how few flags I see flying in The Villages. Everybody should display it.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I attached mine to the wide trim bordering the garage. It works well.
Did the same, works fine. Make sure it's screwed well into the stud, thru the siding.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default Also put The Flag Shop on your list if you decide to

pursue a free standing pole.The business has been here for over 50 years founded by a WW II vet "the flag man". Now being run by his son Roger Britts, Jr., a Viet Nam vet...he will take care of your flag needs.
His shop is in Leesburg...352-326-5477.

I have one of his bronze, fixed length poles with a brass eagle on the top...lighted and flying 24/7.

I agree there are not enough flags flying here in TV....probably the least number of flags in any area we have lived in....what a shame!!

btk
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
pursue a free standing pole.The business has been here for over 50 years founded by a WW II vet "the flag man". Now being run by his son Roger Britts, Jr., a Viet Nam vet...he will take care of your flag needs.
His shop is in Leesburg...352-326-5477.

I have one of his bronze, fixed length poles with a brass eagle on the top...lighted and flying 24/7.

I agree there are not enough flags flying here in TV....probably the least number of flags in any area we have lived in....what a shame!!

btk
BTK,

I am glad that you refer to lighting the flag. I have several neighbors who leave their flags out 24/7 without lighting at night. I was taught that that doesn't show respect for the stars and stripes.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

For those who are interested, you can read the flag etiquette at:

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html The Villages Florida

Also, some have mentioned about adding a light to the lamp post to eluminate the flag. It would seem that if the flag is near the lamp post that there might be enought brightness so that the flag is adequately illuminated and no separate light specfically directed at it is necessary. The etiquette in the link above only specifies that it should be illuminated period; no further specifications given! Any other opinions on this?
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Bosoxfan
Default I Recently

bought a free standing 20 foot telescoping flagpole.Getting it approved was a piece of cake.I installed it myself right before the big storms we recently had & it withstood the winds so I guess I know what I'm doing!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Unfortunately I see many flags flying in TV that are very worn and tattered, some in such poor condition it is a disgrace. When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

Please replace or lower your flag when it is tattered,torn or faded. I have observed more flags flying in TV then any neighborhood I have ever lived in and unfortunately more flags flying in terrible disrepair.

My husband and I are both retired USN and don't need to see flags in every yard to remind us of what it means to us and what it stands for. If you choose to fly the flag please do so with respect.

Last edited by Halle; 04-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=skyguy79;345022]For those who are interested, you can read the flag etiquette at:

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html [QUOTE]

I note that it says "should" light and not must light so I have no problem with a flag flying at night unlighted. Just the fact that someone is displaying one is great and should not be denigrated because they do not have a light. Kinda pricey to put a light in the lawn. I also tend to show my respect to my country with my military service and what I do daily and not in any cloth symbols. The symbol should not become the thing it represents. It is nice to have symbols and idols to represent our feelings and beliefs but they are just symbols and not the thing they represent. At least in my mind it is that way but people are killed all over the world for disrespecting symbols which shows just how advanced a civilization we really are. Same kind of behavior that our early ancestors displayed when their idols and symbols were shown disrespect. I am just happy to see a flag, even if frayed. Reminds me of the ones we had in Vietnam with shrapnel and bullet holes in them.

P.S. I often use smiley faces in my posts even though I am not smiling. So much for the link between symbols and real feelings.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM

The flag etiquette quoted above is fine and it says "may" as Vinny outlines, but US Code, Title 4, Chap 1 states, "a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness." I think the "if properly illuminated ....." sort of qualifies the may and removes some ambiguity. An earlier post asked the question about the amount or source of light, that is a better question. My flag pole light malfunctioned a few weeks ago due to the sensor on the electrical system, so I relied on the bright light of the light pole for a few nights. IMHO that is a "cop out", I ordered and installed a new pole light up near the flag, solar operated. I happen to believe that the flag of The United States of America deserves the best, rather than the handiest, or the least expensive, but that ISMHO.

Vinny makes some other very good comments with which I heartily agree. One year and one week ago I completed 49 years, 7 months and 14 days of uninterrupted service to the US Air Force on active duty, civil service and contractor status, so I've done my best as so many other villagers have.

Forntunately we live in a country where the flag police are not taking down addresses. You can do as you see fit, just as I did.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.