American Flag Disposal

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopie View Post
I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
American legion corner of Rolling Acres and 466 will take them. Office open 9 - 4 Monday through Friday.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Thank you for this info. Simple, respectful. safe and practical. I, and I am sure others, will follow this practice.

Stay safe. Stay well. Peace!
Again there is a proper way to burn them, take them to the American Legion. No need to remove from stick, or cut them up.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcgowan View Post
I recently retired an old US flag - took it to the American Legion Post where they had a mailbox out front of the building for proper flag disposal - easy !
There is no mailbox at the American Legion. You must give them to the front office staff.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
As an Elk for about 50 years I can tell you they don’t dispose of old flags. They do have a ceremony every Flag Day that teaches the history of the flag which is very informative. Elks take their old flags to the American Legion as they do have a day on which they dispose of old flags.
It must depend on which Lodge you belong to. Lodge 1893 in CT does have their own Burning as part of the Ceremony as depicted by Ritual.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopie View Post
I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
Where we live in MA we go to a veterans agent with them, so I would think that you could do the same in FL
Old 07-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Ace Hardware on 441 next to Village Carts has a disposal bucket inside.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:52 PM
Default Disposal of american flags is available at ace hardware in spanish spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopie View Post
i realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small american flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
ace hardware in spanish springs has a box for proper disposal.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osc765 View Post
American Legion should have a box to collect used flags which are then ceremonial destroyed.
There is, it is inside the front office.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:41 PM

Thank You for taking care or Our flag.

For proper disposal. Take to an American Legion.

Save them until the American Legion reopens. Location is HWY 466 & Rolling Acres Road.
Closed Thread

Tags
american, flags, dispose, respectful, dirty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.