America's Friendliest Hometown? I'm Beginning to Have My Doubts.

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Vigilantism is not pretty. Sounds like these women have watched too many Charles Bronson type movies or TV shows.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage

cappyjon and wife:

I am sad this happened to you and your wife. I would be peturbed about this incident. It was good thinking to report this person to the police.

My hope is their talk will do some good and you will not have to be concerned about this very rude and dangerous behavior from your neighbor.

Wishing you peace and happiness.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Cappyjon and Mrs Cappyjon, I do hope the outpouring of affection you read here will somehow help to offset the fear and anger caused by these people. I have experienced this situation with neighbors and know exactly how you feel. My only advice is to document everything. Who said and did what and when. Keep a diary. When the time comes, you will be prepared. You think you will remember these things, but you don't. Even better. If one of you has a little camera. Snap shots or movies are perfect.

But please don't let these mentally ill or just plain evil people get you down. For every one of those, there are thousands of people like me who would do whatever you need to keep you safe. Don't give up.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:56 PM

I have a major concern in reading the initial post. Do not confront an individual and please stress this to your wife. Think of this as any other place in this country. Call the police, report the driver, do whatever. Someone may react in a way that could put you or your wife in danger.

There are two sides to every story but as long you're obeying the law, doing the speed limit impeding traffic then you need to alert authorites..do it on the cell phone as the incident is occuring. I've had a reckless driver nabbed by a sheriff that way. Put the sheriffs dept in your cell, you should have it for other reasons but just protect yourselves.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Cappy I do feel these folks were out of line and having been a receipient of that type of behavior I can certainly empathize with you and your wife.

I believe the issue here is that (some) (many) villagers object to golf carts operating on roadways. Personally I ignore it.

However street legal golfcarts issue could be problematic.
Street legal are allowed to travel up to 30mph and since the cartpaths are 19.6mph does this vreate a dilemma?

Road rage is a world wide problem .

Finally IMHO people take this "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" motto too seriously. Its only a marketing gimmick
Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM

What is the rush use the golf cart lanes and problem will be solved.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
Before I start my rant, let me first say that overall, I love living here. The large majority of the people we have met have been wonderful and we thoroghly enjoy all that TV has to offer. That being said, there have been a couple of incidents in less than a week that not only worry me from a safety perspective, but from a "friendliness" perspective as well.
I don't have time for my full rant but someday I'm going to write a book about the incidents I have seen here. I think it all has to do with overcrowding and some real nut-balls.
This is not the forum to say anything bad about this place or the developer. As I have expressed before, totv is for newbies and everybody licks the windshield when something is new. Plus they put a fortune in beautiful landscaping and everything looks so pretty.
But our friends have been here anyplace from 7 years to 20 years know better. The frienliness of this place has changed. We get together and we are all of one mind that this is no longer a friendly place. Most of us came from small towns and never saw the behavior we have seen here. All of us have seen fights, road rage, fighting over parking places, cutting in lines, etc. Ask anyone who works here how they are treated by many.
A new one is my wife's massage lady said that Villagers steal from the masseurs. She is 59 and said she never saw anything like it anyplace else. One reason is they want no bad press so they let this crap go on. Many masseurs have left and she said she will be next. Can you believe it? I've heard of the crappy tippers and the anger in all different places but to steal from your massage lady.
As I said many times, I live in a great neighborhood, in a beautiful house with great friends. I know there are very nice people in here but... I never got swore at until I moved here. Got the finger a few times too.
Many people are upset and/or have left or never bought. But this is the everything is wonderful forum for people who stay in their houses or don't live here full time or don't live here at all or are new. That's ok, I once thought this place was perfect too. And I still have great fun here.
OK done with the rant. Going down to seabreeze to try to fight my way onto machines at the overpriced exercise room. Laurel manor exercise room is closed.

Bottom line is I agree with cappyjon.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesports View Post
I don't have time for my full rant but someday I'm going to write a book about the incidents I have seen here. I think it all has to do with overcrowding and some real nut-balls.
This is not the forum to say anything bad about this place or the developer. As I have expressed before, totv is for newbies and everybody licks the windshield when something is new. Plus they put a fortune in beautiful landscaping and everything looks so pretty.
But our friends have been here anyplace from 7 years to 20 years know better. The frienliness of this place has changed. We get together and we are all of one mind that this is no longer a friendly place. Most of us came from small towns and never saw the behavior we have seen here. All of us have seen fights, road rage, fighting over parking places, cutting in lines, etc. Ask anyone who works here how they are treated by many.
A new one is my wife's massage lady said that Villagers steal from the masseurs. She is 59 and said she never saw anything like it anyplace else. One reason is they want no bad press so they let this crap go on. Many masseurs have left and she said she will be next. Can you believe it? I've heard of the crappy tippers and the anger in all different places but to steal from your massage lady.
As I said many times, I live in a great neighborhood, in a beautiful house with great friends. I know there are very nice people in here but... I never got swore at until I moved here. Got the finger a few times too.
Many people are upset and/or have left or never bought. But this is the everything is wonderful forum for people who stay in their houses or don't live here full time or don't live here at all or are new. That's ok, I once thought this place was perfect too. And I still have great fun here.
OK done with the rant. Going down to seabreeze to try to fight my way onto machines at the overpriced exercise room. Laurel manor exercise room is closed.

Bottom line is I agree with cappyjon.
Lovesports, it would appear that we live in different worlds. I've lived here for over 4 years and have not had one of the experiences you expressed. I'm out all day driving in my car or cart and I do see some rediculous people letting young children drive carts but as for getting the finger or being cursed at. No way!!! All my life I've heard rants about the wealthy robbing the poor, it would appear that it's a way of life for some people to feel victimized.
I've lived in several states and many cities and find TV to be a very comfortable, safe and beautiful enviornment. The reason I chose to respond to your post is that it was so negative that I actually felt bad that you are having such bitter feelings about your home town. That's my rant for today.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
I have a major concern in reading the initial post. Do not confront an individual and please stress this to your wife. Think of this as any other place in this country. Call the police, report the driver, do whatever. Someone may react in a way that could put you or your wife in danger.

There are two sides to every story but as long you're obeying the law, doing the speed limit impeding traffic then you need to alert authorites..do it on the cell phone as the incident is occuring. I've had a reckless driver nabbed by a sheriff that way. Put the sheriffs dept in your cell, you should have it for other reasons but just protect yourselves.
great Idea and good information..cop told me once, call us first, dont confront anyone ,you never know what they will do.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
What is the rush use the golf cart lanes and problem will be solved.
So, a street-legal cart should not be used on the street? A use for which it has been registered and insured, not to mention legal? Is that what you mean?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Jon,
Sorry you guys had to have such unpleasant and hazardous experiences.
There are many seniors, here and elsewhere, that appear chronically angry. I wonder if they are having trouble dealing with the aging process.
Your point well taken but " dealing with the aging process" does not give someone the right to act like a jerk ( I have better discriptions) I sit here and read this stuff and just cant believe these actions go on.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

Is there no place to report an inappropriate post??
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Sage

Another poster was correct: Do not confront the OFFENDER yourself, but call the police/sheriff while this loose cannon is still moving on wheels or pulling into her driveway. Chances are, she is DRUNK.

Talk to any prosecutor and they'll tell you how much alcohol intensifies RAGE and violence in confrontations and arguments and situations like that crazed woman deciding to police you!

And on the subject of "Florida's friendliest home town", my experience says that woman's treatment of others here is an aberration. We've never seen anyone here act like that but I have seen drivers scream with road rage in other places where we've lived.

Here, I have seen drunks yell at a bartender who cuts them off from more alcohol. Fortunately the bartenders have good backup from their bosses and the bartender prevails, at the bar anyway.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Is there no place to report an inappropriate post??
Just click on the little red triangle at the top right side of the post and it will open up a message box to the Moderator in which you can report a post.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i have no words for what happened i am hoping the officer that stop by her home in the morning explains how she could have injured your wife and make her think about what she has done

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.