Golf carts turning left across traffic.

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Founder
Default Golf carts turning left across traffic.

How many times have you been in your car with a golf cart to your right suddenly turns left across traffic? The police and the traffic signs advise that all cart operators should merge with traffic, then effect the left hand turn, just like being in a car.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Golf carts turning left across traffic.

I definitely agree with you. When I get close to my left turn and see no cars in the lane, I signal and then move into the car lane and then signal and make the turn. Doing that also prevents you from having to stop and wait until all of the cars clear.

A friend of mine says that cars have the right of way. I told him that Pete Wahl stated in his Thursday column that golf carts are supposed to merge into the car lane and then make the left turn.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
When we were visiting TV in May, we were attempting to cross 441 to get to one of the gates. We were stopped and obeying the law waiting to cross when some woman in a Sebring Convertible drove right past us without looking and made a left onto 441, just like there was noone else around. Scary to say the least! She didn't even slow down to see if anything was coming. With that attitude I guess she figured if anyone was coming they would stop for her. Wake up people!!
You weren't crossing in a golf cart, were you?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
You weren't crossing in a golf cart, were you?

Noooo! ;D We had just stopped to stay there overnight on the way to Naples, we were in our personal vehicle. I have to tell you that the driving concerns there are a concern to me. I have always been a good driver but some of the shenanigans people pull are crazy. OH well :dontknow:
There is no question that when you get into a community of "seniors" the driving skills are somewhat lacking.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Veteran member

Shhhhhh. Not so loud. The insurance companies may hear. Should insurance companies then increase rates for seniors instead of lowering them?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 PM

the villages sponsored golf cart safety seminar is a good introduction to how to drive in a golf cart community.
and i imagine the aarp sponsored senior driving review courses would also be good refreshers.for all who coast through stop signs, don't bother with turn signals or get confused at round abouts etc.
we're not only over 55 but generally from other states where laws and customs are different.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.