Anotehr golf cart accident yesterday - Morse and San Marino

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Golden Sunrise Member
Default Anotehr golf cart accident yesterday - Morse and San Marino

Jim and I witnessed a horrifying accident at the corner of Morse and San Marino. The cart hit the curbing, flew into the air, landed on its side, and the driver's foot was trapped. No passengers, than God! The cart was gas and the gas was leaking.

Fortunately Jim and a few others who were there quickly were able to turn off the ignition and free the man by lifting the cart while I called 911. He was seriously injured (at the least a compound ankle fracture - he looked as if he might be having an MCI/stroke due to his color and erratic breathing.) and the helicopter was called.

911 in TV was immediately responsive - ambulance was there in a few minutes - although to the injured man, I sure it felt like hours.

k

Last edited by katezbox; 06-08-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Sage

YIKES!!! Seems as though clipping a curb is the primary way of causing a cart to flip over..........

Hope the guy comes out of it all o.k.

Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Very sad to hear and glad you and Jim were there Kate.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
YIKES!!! Seems as though clipping a curb is the primary way of causing a cart to flip over..........

Hope the guy comes out of it all o.k.

Bill
I agree. My nephew (15) did this with a cart we gave him to drive around the yard back in MA. That cart only went 13 MPH.

Hitting a curb can really affect the path of a cart. This is the main reason I have white knuckles whenver I cross Sumter bridge on Morse in a golf cart, especially when a cart coming the other way is moving at 20 MPH. Either tear up that sidewalk or SLOW DOWN on the bridge
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Gold member

I had an incident on that bridge a couple of years ago. At the time I had a City Car top on my cart with the side mirror sticking out. Along came another cart with the exact same mirror and we hit mirrors. Mine was shattered and he didn't stop. I'm sure his was shattered too. It was no ones fault but even now I'm careful about mirrors protruding from the sides of golf carts. After this incident happened whenever I crossed that bridge I turned my mirror in. I don't have that cart anymore and with my Club Car I haven't had any problems with mirrors.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I had an incident on that bridge a couple of years ago. At the time I had a City Car top on my cart with the side mirror sticking out. Along came another cart with the exact same mirror and we hit mirrors. Mine was shattered and he didn't stop. I'm sure his was shattered too. It was no ones fault but even now I'm careful about mirrors protruding from the sides of golf carts. After this incident happened whenever I crossed that bridge I turned my mirror in. I don't have that cart anymore and with my Club Car I haven't had any problems with mirrors.

John
I always wondered if that happened with carts with the externally mounted mirrors. Unfortunate you had the problem, John. Our cart came with a left and right mirror mounted such that no part of them sticks out beyond the cart top's frame, which is nice. We get a wide enough view of what's beside us given that I asked for them both to have convex mirrors. They're not the biggest mirror surfaces you can have but they do the job for us.

Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I agree. My nephew (15) did this with a cart we gave him to drive around the yard back in MA. That cart only went 13 MPH.

Hitting a curb can really affect the path of a cart. This is the main reason I have white knuckles whenver I cross Sumter bridge on Morse in a golf cart, especially when a cart coming the other way is moving at 20 MPH. Either tear up that sidewalk or SLOW DOWN on the bridge
I really don't like that bridge or the one that crosses 27/441 either.

Hooray for Jim's (and others) fast action to help the poor guy.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post

I feel the same way.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post

Hooray for Jim's (and others) fast action to help the poor guy.
Lake Sumter golfcart bridge and C441 bridge both need to be crossed slowly with caution. Unfortunately there are way too many yahoos around.

Kate and Jim .. it must have been so upsetting to see the accident. I'm sure the driver was so glad to have you there helping.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Lake Sumter golfcart bridge and C441 bridge both need to be crossed slowly with caution. Unfortunately there are way too many yahoos around.

Kate and Jim .. it must have been so upsetting to see the accident. I'm sure the driver was so glad to have you there helping.
im always afraid of hitting these guys that drive with their left knee hanging out !!!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
I am not as bothered by the 27/441 bridge. I am not sure the reason why, maybe carts are going slower, I really do not know the answer, but I have never felt uncomfortable on that bridge like I do most times on Sumter. The Sumter bridge is the only place in TV I feel unsafe in a golf car. I go 12-13 MPH (I know it is 10 MPH) and the speed "some" people come in the opposite direction amazes me (pedal to the metal). One mistake changes both of our lives.

I have never posted this on TOTV, but about a month ago as I crossed at my normal 12-13 a guy passed me. PASSED ME on the bridge where the sidewalk is. After he gets off the bridge his cart goes 18 MPH. If my cart was not freshly painted I would a ........ OK, I am done now .

Time to take Caly for a ride up to the new premiers on 466. I think I will go by Palmer route tonight
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Jim and I witnessed a horrifying accident at the corner of Morse and San Marino. The cart hit the curbing, flew into the air, landed on its side, and the driver's foot was trapped. No passengers, than God! The cart was gas and the gas was leaking.

Fortunately Jim and a few others who were there quickly were able to turn off the ignition and free the man by lifting the cart while I called 911. He was seriously injured (at the least a compound ankle fracture - he looked as if he might be having an MCI/stroke due to his color and erratic breathing.) and the helicopter was called.

911 in TV was immediately responsive - ambulance was there in a few minutes - although to the injured man, I sure it felt like hours.

k
I'm glad that you and others were able to help this unfortunate man.

I hope he is ok.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

I so glad you were there to help!!! His breathing probably was due to shock and I'm glad that 911 called and hopefully he has a good outcome.

I'm always nervous riding in our cart on Morse and on into SS. The bridge past LSL also isn't very fun to go on IMO. It's very narrow and the car traffic is so close as well.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.