Another bicyclist almost killed

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Wonder what the exact circumstances were? Does anyone know that the cyclist did, or didn't, do something wrong? Let's not jump to conclusions without facts. I've already seen comments regarding where and how cyclists should ride in TV, or how bad our motor vehicle drivers are. Regardless of how fervently held those beliefs may be, they don't add to the understanding of this particular case.

Unfortunately, we will not likely ever know the details of the case, unless one or more TOTV members actually witnessed the event.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Sage

I almost witnessed a bicycle-cart accident this afternoon. We were on the cart path of Buena Vista approaching Old Mill Run heading south. Two cyclists were on OMR approaching where the golf carts cross to the other side of the cart path. A golf cart coming across the road heading north, either didn't see the riders or didn't care. It was a near miss and the cart driver's fault. Yelling from all parties could be heard all the way to Fruitland Park... If there had been a collision, I'm sure injuries would have been severe. Hope all parties realize how fortunate they were that no one was hurt and they all are more cautious.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Not just people hurrying........

As much as it pains me to say, and with the potential for being "piled on", it is not always people hurrying who are the cause of, or involved in accidents. I would submit that there are people who are still driving that really need to surrender their license (or if they need the license for ID, should sell their car/stop driving). My mother recognized that she was losing depth perception when she was in her early 60's and had already stopped driving at night. She sold her car and surrendered her license. I am thankful that she did this not only for removing the potential for her hurting someone else, but also possibly hurting herself.

Hopefully if anyone recognizes themselves as possibly being in this "pool" of people, they will consider the harm that can be caused by their erroding abilities. Is killing someone worth the price of perceived independence? Remember that driving is a privilege and not a right. (Time to get off my soapbox.....)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Just asking for some caution, that's all. Cars, carts, walkers, cyclists.

, was struck by a car while going around the Buena Vista and Old Mill Run traffic circle on Monday, March 18th on his way to the Barnes & Noble ride start. Xxxx was transported to the Villages Regional Hospital, treated and released. He has plenty of road rash, but no fractures or serious injuries. Xxxxx understands the car driver was issued a citation. Xxxx credits his helmet for saving his life.

member, was struck by a car while going around the Morse Blvd. and Old Mill Rd traffic circle on Wednesday, March 6th. Xxxxx was transported to the Villages Regional Hospital, treated and released. Xxxxx has a broken scapula and two broken ribs.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
As much as it pains me to say, and with the potential for being "piled on", it is not always people hurrying who are the cause of, or involved in accidents. I would submit that there are people who are still driving that really need to surrender their license (or if they need the license for ID, should sell their car/stop driving). My mother recognized that she was losing depth perception when she was in her early 60's and had already stopped driving at night. She sold her car and surrendered her license. I am thankful that she did this not only for removing the potential for her hurting someone else, but also possibly hurting herself.

Hopefully if anyone recognizes themselves as possibly being in this "pool" of people, they will consider the harm that can be caused by their erroding abilities. Is killing someone worth the price of perceived independence? Remember that driving is a privilege and not a right. (Time to get off my soapbox.....)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

share the road...it's the law!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Whose fault is it?

Problem drivers in The Villages.

You take your life into your hands when you drive around this town.
The roundabouts are full of nuts, the squares are full of clowns.
The golf cart drivers go too fast and swerve around the bikes.
Bikers waive and wobble and give car drivers all the frights.

Contractors don't give a care, don't even live right here.
Young vistors zoom around in carts sending olders the Bronx cheer.
Some people dodge and weave and race and zoom all down the roads.
While others just drone along likes snails and jump around like toads.

Car drivers blame the bikers, and the bikers won't take the blame.
Cart drivers blame them both and say "ain't it all a shame?"
That they don't know how to drive and I am so danged good.
I wish they had more who drove like me in my new neighborhood.

Boomers blame the older folks from the greatest generation.
And those sweet folks think the New Yorkers are the worst in the whole nation.
Ohio folks think drivers from both coasts could learn a lot from them.
And California newbies say it's Southern folks causing alll the mayhem.

Most came to find a perfect place and looked forward to a cart.
To whiz them here and take them there and to the grocery mart.
They arrive to see that there are thousands with the all the same fine plan.
And all surmise they are the best drivers, every girl and man.

They tell the others they are wrong, not our fault, the traffic jams
The accidents, the fender benders the awful screeching slams.
If you would change your ways, not mine than a fine place this would be.
I kinda think that each of us needs to look at our own selves carefully.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Problem drivers in The Villages.

You take your life into your hands when you drive around this town.
The roundabouts are full of nuts, the squares are full of clowns.
The golf cart drivers go too fast and swerve around the bikes.
Bikers waive and wobble and give car drivers all the frights.

Contractors don't give a care, don't even live right here.
Young vistors zoom around in carts sending olders the Bronx cheer.
Some people dodge and weave and race and zoom all down the roads.
While others just drone along likes snails and jump around like toads.

Car drivers blame the bikers, and the bikers won't take the blame.
Cart drivers blame them both and say "ain't it all a shame?"
That they don't know how to drive and I am so danged good.
I wish they had more who drove like me in my new neighborhood.

Boomers blame the older folks from the greatest generation.
And those sweet folks think the New Yorkers are the worst in the whole nation.
Ohio folks think drivers from both coasts could learn a lot from them.
And California newbies say it's Southern folks causing alll the mayhem.

Most came to find a perfect place and looked forward to a cart.
To whiz them here and take them there and to the grocery mart.
They arrive to see that there are thousands with the all the same fine plan.
And all surmise they are the best drivers, every girl and man.

They tell the others they are wrong, not our fault, the traffic jams
The accidents, the fender benders the awful screeching slams.
If you would change your ways, not mine than a fine place this would be.
I kinda think that each of us needs to look at our own selves carefully.
Very clever Gracie.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
As a solo biker I ride on the road but on the side and signal my moves. When I first started I tried the GC trails holy crap those early morning GC drives did everything but crash me, I got cussed at ,flipped off, dam near hit twice that was it for me. I watch my mirror on the roadway, have front and rear lights as well as bright tops or my vest and helmet on at all times. The roadway is a lot safer. As for those that ride in groups they should read the bike rules because they certainly don't abide by the rules
Skip,
I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I also commend you for following bikers rules of the road. So often I've seen groups of bikers blowing right through stop signs or signals. What are they thinking??!!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzangrilli View Post
A bicyclist was hit by a car this AM. He had done nothing wrong and could have been killed because someone was probably in a little hurray.
I am appealing to the selfish side of the hurray up people to think about how long they may be delayed if they have to stay at an accident to finish the police interview and wait for the medical transport to leave. Not to mention how they might feel after killing someone's grandma or grandpa.
Roundabouts - 20 MPH before you enter
Most streets - 30 Mph or LESS! (Yes 30 MPH is very slow)
We were on the ninth hole of Sand Hill when fire engines and rescue arrived at the roundabout at Buena Vista and St. Charles near the St James Gate.
It was about 9am. Lots of Villages maintenance people working on the landscaping on the rotary at time so we thought something happened to one of them. Second fire engine and second rescue arrived but we couldn't see any car accident. This may have been the bicycle accident.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzangrilli View Post
A bicyclist was hit by a car this AM. He had done nothing wrong and could have been killed because someone was probably in a little hurray.
I am appealing to the selfish side of the hurray up people to think about how long they may be delayed if they have to stay at an accident to finish the police interview and wait for the medical transport to leave. Not to mention how they might feel after killing someone's grandma or grandpa.
Roundabouts - 20 MPH before you enter
Most streets - 30 Mph or LESS! (Yes 30 MPH is very slow)
Once again, the car driver is vilified and presumed "guilty" of speeding/being in a hurry.......when MAYBE....JUST MAYBE.....the bicyclist was negligent and riding hazardously!!!!!

AND, this was probably an ACCIDENT....a concept many refuse to admit exists.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Raynan, I believe the bicycle accident on Buena Vista was up by Lake Sumter. Hubby works for Community Watch and it came across this radio. He called me, as he knew I was headed that way and told me to take Morse. Within about 10 minutes he called back to say it was clear.
I only hope whoever was involved in the accident, no matter who was to blame, are okay this evening!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Raynan, I believe the bicycle accident on Buena Vista was up by Lake Sumter. Hubby works for Community Watch and it came across this radio. He called me, as he knew I was headed that way and told me to take Morse. Within about 10 minutes he called back to say it was clear.
I only hope whoever was involved in the accident, no matter who was to blame, are okay this evening!
And that is the bottom line. I know you speak for all of us.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM

I rode my bike, along with 700 others, from Seattle, WA to Washington, DC all of it was on roads. We were required to wear helmets and ride single file. Roads are really the safest places to be and cyclists have the legal right to be there. Watch out for cyclists as you would for pedestrians.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Personally, I would like to see bicyclists ride on the golf cart path. I think it would be much safer. When I see cyclists on the main roads/in the round abouts I think of how dangerous it is for them. They aren't a motor vehicle but some of them act like they are and I find it sometimes problematic to navigate around them, especially when the roads are so busy. I would much rather encounter a biker or a pack of bickers on the golf cart path when I'm going much slower.
Hate to hear of any accidents, but I have always wondered WHY any bicycle is allowed on the road when I am not allowed on the road in my golf cart (unless specifically marked). I have more protection in a golf cart than a bicyclist does. If I drive on a road in my golf cart that is not marked for golf carts, I will get a fine, so in MHO bicycles belong on the cart path, not on our roads.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.