Another Documentary Documentary About The Villages - "The Bubble"

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Gold member

WOW! That was a great post and hits the mark!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Hint: this thread isn't about you, or your likes and dislikes, or your personal experience in the Villages. It's not about mine either.

It's about insulting people who created a very negative movie about a place that has flaws. Whether YOU recognize the flaws or not, they exist. This movie exploits those flaws to push an agenda. The flaws are real. They are true, factual. What is ALSO factual is that there are posters here who are posting about how it is bad to insult people - while insulting the people they're criticizing.

It's about pots calling kettles black. Not me, not you. You can't find anything wrong with the bubble you live in, because you've chosen to surround yourself in the safety of your own bubble, and isolated yourself from the rest of reality. That's your prerogative.

The rest of the world exists. The bubble YOU live in, is not the bubble every single resident of the Villages lives in. Your bubble is that of your own mind. Don't hate just because someone else's bubble isn't identical to yours. You can continue living in your own bubble of your own creation, oblivious to the rest of humanity. There's nothing for you to be insulted by. You are in your safe space.
What an odd comment that this post is not about you or me. The film is about all who live here in the Villages and this forum has a comments section, which this is, that seeks your and my personal comments on posting to the forum. Just saying.........
Old 05-12-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
All I can say is that when we are at our Villages home I NEVER wish we could get back north, but when we are up north I am always counting the days until I can get back to the Villages. I am NEVER bored while in the Villages, other places not so much. Who cares what anyone else's opinion of the Villages is?
180 degrees opposite for me. As soon as the heat arrives I can't wait to go back north. I do agree with who cares what anyone else's opinion of TV is either way. Have not experienced a place to live yet without pluses and minuses including TV. To the total defenders of the throne I watched an entire small lake community go from heaven to hell when a bad neighbor moved in. You never know.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

For me personally living here.........sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it, but most of the time it's home and just where I live
Old 05-12-2021, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

TV Land is like almost anyplace in Florida. It has its strengths and weaknesses. The first 5 years you are here, you see only the strengths - gradually you see some weaknesses - and more each year thereafter. The amount of volunteerism is impressive and improves everyone's quality of life.

I have a pet peeve. I suppose everyone does. I have sensitive hearing and the lawn maintenance crews seem to use ONLY the loudest possible gasoline-powered lawn equipment possible. In my ideal community, all lawn maintenance equipment would be battery-powered. And solar-powered charging stations would be readily available. This would also help Global Warming. A 2 fer - quiet and help for an over=heating planet. Incidentally, US temperatures are rising lately, but everyone is trying to ignore that. Ignore Mother Nature at your peril! It is a shame that TV Land is NOT a leader in conservation. That is MY personal pet peeve.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Valerie Blankenbyl appears to be a "twenty something" from Austria. Why does she want to make a film about US???

And further;............

Ich bin ziemlich skeptisch, was das Motiv angeht. Natürlich MONEY, aber ich denke darüber nach, wie ein junger Mensch wirklich die Fähigkeit hat, die echten USA zu SEHEN.

Ja.
Someone from a different country or society often has a keener eye to describe the situation than those involved in the situation. Same as corporations hiring outside consultants. Same as corporations hiring for diversity - it keeps everyone on their toes - and maximizes productivity. I would be interested in her conclusions! Keep an open mind!
Old 05-12-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
All the people interviewed are non-TV residents.

They are all complainers who can't get in and are simply jealous.

Give me a break...
That seems strange. Why would they NOT interview actual TV Landers? They would get plenty of volunteers. I would be interviewed! In advertising, all publicity - good or bad is GOOD!
Old 05-12-2021, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't know why they'd only have these two documentaries. I think too many groupies are so intent on proving how wonderful the Villages is, they take offense when anyone offers any criticism at all.

It seems like most of what Goldwingnut describes, tracks. There are Villagers who drive through stop signs. The radio station in the town squares really does have ads selling the Villages. The vast majority of TVs at restaurants really are set on Fox, and the vast majority of Villagers are Fox-watching Republicans. There really are damaged humans who live in the Villages.

Why are you taking offense to that? It's all true. Why would you be offended by the truth, unless you're ashamed of the truth? Are you that fearful of flaws, that you reject anything that doesn't fit your idea of perfection and take pot-shots at it, and create... (CHECK THE IRONY HERE) a hit-piece thread to rage against the movie?

Yes, it really does sound like a negative critique coming from the perspective of "people who live in the area but don't live in the Villages." Their perspective is equally as valid as yours. The only difference is, your perspective sells houses. Their perspective sells movie tickets.
Good job - speaking your mind - Clockwork Orange.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
You obviously have not seen the movie, you are only reading what you want to read and bending it to meet your own biases. I freely admit that The Villages isn't perfect, it has many flaws. However, what's in this film is far from truth but rather an attempt to disparage both the community and the residents that make up this community.

I tried to be objective when I sat down to watch the film, it quickly became difficult as I watched in disbelief. My notes contain both positive and negative comments and take aways of the film, many of which I shared in the previous post.

As I create my own videos for others to enjoy, I am keenly aware that what I show, how I show it, what I say, how I say, the lighting, the cinematography, and the music in it can quickly take the meaning and premise of the video in many different directions, something to be taken very seriously and deliberately. The direction of this film is very clear.

Some will think this film fit for an Oscar, some will see it a better match for a Golden Raspberry. To each his or her own opinion, just don't make an opinion until you've actually seen it.
Orange baby wrote a good, interesting post that did NOT depend on seeing the actual movie.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Have YOU seen the film?

Don has shared how he was hoodwinked. Most of us know Don by his reputation and appreciate his drone videos keeping us up on how The Villages is growing.

I don't like kids coming in here ....and from other countries even, finding a way to make fun and be derisive of us mostly nice LAW ABIDING people who have worked hard to have a home and retirement here.

I find some comments are laden with hostility that has nothing to do with this film.

I am from Ohio too and I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

I've read a few poems myself.
Poor Don got hoodwinked (someone winked at his hood). But........he also got paid the big bucks by the nice Austrian lady. So his hood should NOT feel TOO bad.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
Thank you for writing this. There is a distinct difference between reality and selective reality. They have obviously decided to focus nearly entirely on negatives, leaving out objectivity.

It would be nice to see a bit of film that espouses the whole picture of TV, rather than make documentaries that aren't really documentaries, but rather direct attacks on TV. Could this have been done to provoke hate and loathing against TV and American excesses? I wouldn't doubt that there are those out there that would love that....

And as far as gun-toting Americans? We haven't been invaded nor defeated in a world war, so these people can kiss my a$$ ....
Invaded - Yes, recently on Jan 6th the people's House of Congress WAS invaded. The large numbers of guns in civilian hands did NOTHING to prevent that. In History, guns have been used for Democracy and guns have been used to advance Fascism. The mere owning of guns does NOT guarantee freedom!
Old 05-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
to give me the Money Back ???
My thought exactly!
Old 05-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
TV Land is like almost anyplace in Florida. It has its strengths and weaknesses. The first 5 years you are here, you see only the strengths - gradually you see some weaknesses - and more each year thereafter. The amount of volunteerism is impressive and improves everyone's quality of life.

I have a pet peeve. I suppose everyone does. I have sensitive hearing and the lawn maintenance crews seem to use ONLY the loudest possible gasoline-powered lawn equipment possible. In my ideal community, all lawn maintenance equipment would be battery-powered. And solar-powered charging stations would be readily available. This would also help Global Warming. A 2 fer - quiet and help for an over=heating planet. Incidentally, US temperatures are rising lately, but everyone is trying to ignore that. Ignore Mother Nature at your peril! It is a shame that TV Land is NOT a leader in conservation. That is MY personal pet peeve.
You could do your part to save the planet by not running your A/C and using a bicycle for transportation. Cut your own grass with a push mower and use hand tools to trim your bushes. The electricity to run power tools has to be generated somehow, likely by a fossil fuel operated plant. Also batteries and solar panels comprise toxic materials which much be disposed of somewhere at some point in time. These materials are frequently mined in Africa under unsafe and polluting conditions.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-12-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Lets face it people find negative info much more interesting than the actual truth that this is a great place to live.

Not to mention the national media hates this place and will always try to show this place in a negative light.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hint: this thread isn't about you, or your likes and dislikes, or your personal experience in the Villages. It's not about mine either.

It's about insulting people who created a very negative movie about a place that has flaws. Whether YOU recognize the flaws or not, they exist. This movie exploits those flaws to push an agenda. The flaws are real. They are true, factual. What is ALSO factual is that there are posters here who are posting about how it is bad to insult people - while insulting the people they're criticizing.

It's about pots calling kettles black. Not me, not you. You can't find anything wrong with the bubble you live in, because you've chosen to surround yourself in the safety of your own bubble, and isolated yourself from the rest of reality. That's your prerogative.

The rest of the world exists. The bubble YOU live in, is not the bubble every single resident of the Villages lives in. Your bubble is that of your own mind. Don't hate just because someone else's bubble isn't identical to yours. You can continue living in your own bubble of your own creation, oblivious to the rest of humanity. There's nothing for you to be insulted by. You are in your safe space.

This person is correct...I agree 100%. Whenever I read one of your post,I cringe, hold my breath, or say " for the love of god" it's truly not all about you and how what you see is so perfect, while what others see is wrong...only in your eyes. Not the case...but just seen as different. It's called being diverse, and yes the villages need that more.
Closed Thread

Tags
documentary, villages, bubble, here---, link

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.