Another Documentary Documentary About The Villages - "The Bubble"

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Unfortunately, I was involved in the making of this film, I did a majority of the drone photography (not the illegal flight in Spanish Springs). I owe everyone and the developer an apology for having any part in this, another typical hit piece on The Villages. I was hesitant to get involved and was even given forewarning by district staff about this crew being here. When I spoke to Valerie her story was that "they had nothing like The Villages in Europe" and that "retirement was a lot different there", she wanted to expose Europeans to a different idea for retirement. I was naive and tried, as always, to see the good in people, I was a fool. I'm sure she used the same line of BS on the other Villages residents that were involved.

The film starts out with a preacher espousing moving "here" for retirement, I couldn't help but to think of the likes of someone like Jim Jones, or some other cult leader. It's doesn't say were they're at and without that context it infers this is the way it is in The Villages.

There are many shots of activities going on here in The Villages that are shot to make the residents look somewhat foolish and this is further amplified by the silly music playing in the background.
Speaking of music, every shot of a town square has WVLG playing in the background with commercials for homes for sale playing, not music, here again the selective soundtrack is used to push their biased narrative and agenda. And we can't forget that somehow every TV seen in the film is always showing Fox News.

In one scene they show a golf cart just blowing through a stop sign, obviously Villages couldn't give a hoot about the law. I know there are some who will blow through a stop sign, but the vast majority of the people I know and see here in The Villages do always stop for stop signs and obey the traffic laws. But of course, the law-abiding residents don't make for a good story, do they?

Of course, all of use Americans are gun toting rednecks and The Villages is a mecca for them according to this movie. I'm not sure where the gun range they showed in the film is located, but it's not in The Villages, neither is the gun shop they showed, a fact that was conveniently left out.

A lot of the film is spent on the anti-Villages crowd that blames The Villages for being greedy and buying the land to develop and creating only low paying service jobs. Left out of course is that someone sold the land to The Villages, and why was that, for the money. Their former neighbors were being greedy. While there are low paying service jobs created, there are also thousands of good paying construction and construction related jobs created by the growth of The Villages. Did I miss the part of the film where they talked about many entrepreneurs in the area that have made their fortunes and higher thousands more individuals? Oh, that's right, they left that part out.

The way that residents were used in the film was embarrassing and shameful. They chose one couple and portrayed them as "typical" couple, she had a physical impediment due to surgery and he was a rather large bellied suspender wearing simpleton. I felt bad for the couple the way they were used, I seriously doubt they are as portrayed. Another lady was portrayed as vain, materialistic, and self-centered to make it seem the norm for The Villages.

A big deal is made of the water usage here in The Villages, showing lots of sprinklers running all the time. We represent less that 2% of the daily influx of people into the state of Florida, but we are responsible for all the water shortages. Did they mention the nationally recognized water retention/reuse systems here in The Villages? Of course not.

No hit piece on The Villages would be complete without the vitriol and contempt for The Village of Orlando's Lauren Ritchie. She throws her usual barbs and misinformed criticisms in at every turn of the film. According to her "most people are kind of brainwashed" and of course "they really feel entitled to let go". Of course, according to her we are all just a bunch of racist because "there aren't any minorities" in The Villages. The people who live here are here by their own choice without regards to race, religion, and any other popular social divider. The developer is, just like every other business, color blind, all they see is green when it comes to selling a home.

I will give credit where credit is due, there were many statements by the residents that were very positive about The Villages, our community, and living here, and these were left in.

This film crew came to The Villages, rented a home in the Lopez area, lived it up and enjoyed the amenities this community had to offer, all the while with a less than honorable and objective motive in mind. Eurotrash! Stay in Austria, and don't bother coming back to our country and community! You're not welcome here.

I could go on about the film, I took 2 pages of notes when I wasn't yelling at the computer as I watch this junk, but I think you get the picture, it's just another hit piece about us and our community. Is our community perfect? Of course not, we have our flaws and idiosyncrasies, but I think most will agree, there's not a better place to retire and enjoy our golden years.

Don't waste your time watching this movie, it will just make you mad.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-11-2021, 04:43 PM

Thanks Don for the overview. It’s sad some will have just this and the other documentary as their guide for The Villages. People just need to come here on their own and experience it. It’s not for everyone, but a lot of people love it here and sales of homes continue to boom.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
Thanks Don for the overview. It’s sad some will have just this and the other documentary as their guide for The Villages. People just need to come here on their own and experience it. It’s not for everyone, but a lot of people love it here and sales of homes continue to boom.
I don't know why they'd only have these two documentaries. I think too many groupies are so intent on proving how wonderful the Villages is, they take offense when anyone offers any criticism at all.

It seems like most of what Goldwingnut describes, tracks. There are Villagers who drive through stop signs. The radio station in the town squares really does have ads selling the Villages. The vast majority of TVs at restaurants really are set on Fox, and the vast majority of Villagers are Fox-watching Republicans. There really are damaged humans who live in the Villages.

Why are you taking offense to that? It's all true. Why would you be offended by the truth, unless you're ashamed of the truth? Are you that fearful of flaws, that you reject anything that doesn't fit your idea of perfection and take pot-shots at it, and create... (CHECK THE IRONY HERE) a hit-piece thread to rage against the movie?

Yes, it really does sound like a negative critique coming from the perspective of "people who live in the area but don't live in the Villages." Their perspective is equally as valid as yours. The only difference is, your perspective sells houses. Their perspective sells movie tickets.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I don't know about Austria, but the USA is a free country. No one is forced to move to TV or remain here. Those who like it here can stay and live how they please as long as it is lawful. Those who do not can move elsewhere to a community that pleases them. These effete snobs set out to slyly do a hack job using misinformation, disinformation and distortions of reality on a community of good folk of whom they do not "approve". It is anything but a documentary. Parts of it are even libelous. They can go pound sand.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-11-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Don't waste your time watching this movie, it will just make you mad.
Dr. Gold

I wasn't going to watch it, but now I want to see your work.

I'll watch the content as part of my weekly dose of comedy.

Fly straight cowboy!!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I don't know about Austria, but the USA is a free country. No one is forced to move to TV or remain here. Those who like it here can stay and live how they please as long as it is lawful. Those who do not can move elsewhere to a community that pleases them. These effete snobs set out to slyly do a hack job using misinformation, disinformation and distortions of reality on a community of good folk of whom they do not "approve". It is anything but a documentary. Parts of it are even libelous. They can go pound sand.
"I don't know about Austria, but the USA is a free country. No one is forced to watch the documentary and no one is forbidden from moving here. Those who don't like the movie can stay and watch whatever other thing they prefer as long as it is lawful. Those who like the movie can still move to the Villages, if it pleases them. Those effete snobs set out to slyly criticize critical reviews of the Villages with insults, distraction, disinformation, distortions of reality, and obfuscating some less than perfect things about the community of some good, some not so good folks because they don't approve of the movie. It is anything but a critique of a movie. Parts of it are even slanderous. They can go pound sand."

Yup - it seems to work perfectly in reverse. Very appropos. I approve.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I don't know why they'd only have these two documentaries. I think too many groupies are so intent on proving how wonderful the Villages is, they take offense when anyone offers any criticism at all.

It seems like most of what Goldwingnut describes, tracks. There are Villagers who drive through stop signs. The radio station in the town squares really does have ads selling the Villages. The vast majority of TVs at restaurants really are set on Fox, and the vast majority of Villagers are Fox-watching Republicans. There really are damaged humans who live in the Villages.

Why are you taking offense to that? It's all true. Why would you be offended by the truth, unless you're ashamed of the truth? Are you that fearful of flaws, that you reject anything that doesn't fit your idea of perfection and take pot-shots at it, and create... (CHECK THE IRONY HERE) a hit-piece thread to rage against the movie?

Yes, it really does sound like a negative critique coming from the perspective of "people who live in the area but don't live in the Villages." Their perspective is equally as valid as yours. The only difference is, your perspective sells houses. Their perspective sells movie tickets.
You obviously have not seen the movie, you are only reading what you want to read and bending it to meet your own biases. I freely admit that The Villages isn't perfect, it has many flaws. However, what's in this film is far from truth but rather an attempt to disparage both the community and the residents that make up this community.

I tried to be objective when I sat down to watch the film, it quickly became difficult as I watched in disbelief. My notes contain both positive and negative comments and take aways of the film, many of which I shared in the previous post.

As I create my own videos for others to enjoy, I am keenly aware that what I show, how I show it, what I say, how I say, the lighting, the cinematography, and the music in it can quickly take the meaning and premise of the video in many different directions, something to be taken very seriously and deliberately. The direction of this film is very clear.

Some will think this film fit for an Oscar, some will see it a better match for a Golden Raspberry. To each his or her own opinion, just don't make an opinion until you've actually seen it.
www.goldwingnut.com
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:

What rant!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
You obviously have not seen the movie, you are only reading what you want to read and bending it to meet your own biases. I freely admit that The Villages isn't perfect, it has many flaws. However, what's in this film is far from truth but rather an attempt to disparage both the community and the residents that make up this community.

I tried to be objective when I sat down to watch the film, it quickly became difficult as I watched in disbelief. My notes contain both positive and negative comments and take aways of the film, many of which I shared in the previous post.

As I create my own videos for others to enjoy, I am keenly aware that what I show, how I show it, what I say, how I say, the lighting, the cinematography, and the music in it can quickly take the meaning and premise of the video in many different directions, something to be taken very seriously and deliberately. The direction of this film is very clear.

Some will think this film fit for an Oscar, some will see it a better match for a Golden Raspberry. To each his or her own opinion, just don't make an opinion until you've actually seen it.

You’re wasting you’re time.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You’re wasting you’re time.
I know
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 05-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Just an FYI - one of your commissioners (Mr Miller) said in a Facebook post about the movie “makes you think if you have an open mind.” His wife said “I watched the video. It’s very thought provoking. I think they did a good job with it.”

I think it’s always good to understand where your elected official’s “head is at” when it comes to YOUR priorities.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Why would we be offended??????????????????????

Because this is the place we call home now. This is where our friends live. This is where we welcome family. This is a beautiful place that we are proud of and most of us think it only has minor flaws.

Some people from the very beginning of their posts have been negative. Some say their husband wanted to move here, not them. Some don't like the paper or the majority views of the population.

I am not that someone. I have loved this place from the beginning. I am glad to be with people who are in the same stage of life I am and have largely experienced the same kind of life. I love that this place is clean and nice and well run and has a place to live for almost all wage brackets. Most of us feel so lucky to live here.

I am so proud to call The Villages home.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
"I don't know about Austria, but the USA is a free country. No one is forced to watch the documentary and no one is forbidden from moving here. Those who don't like the movie can stay and watch whatever other thing they prefer as long as it is lawful. Those who like the movie can still move to the Villages, if it pleases them. Those effete snobs set out to slyly criticize critical reviews of the Villages with insults, distraction, disinformation, distortions of reality, and obfuscating some less than perfect things about the community of some good, some not so good folks because they don't approve of the movie. It is anything but a critique of a movie. Parts of it are even slanderous. They can go pound sand."

Yup - it seems to work perfectly in reverse. Very appropos. I approve.
This statement is utter nonsense! The subject despicable fake documentary slamming The Villages and Villagers is a just garbage. BTW SLANDER | Definition of SLANDER by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of SLANDER. LIBEL | Definition of LIBEL by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of LIBEL

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-11-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:14 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

“Oh would some power the gift give us
To see ourselves as others see us.”

Robert Burns, Scotland’s most famous poet, wrote those lines in 1786.

Actually, he wrote those words like this. . .

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us.”

(I had to wrestle spellcheck into finally letting me type Burns’ Scottish dialect.)

Of course, 235 years ago, Burns was not writing about a documentary. But like all writers, he knew plenty about human nature.

I just read a couple of other articles about this film. One was in Variety and the other one can be found at
businessdoceurope.com — if you want to read that one Google the site with the words, the bubble, and you’ll get there. Not everything said in the articles was mean.

Boomer
Old 05-12-2021, 04:51 AM

I just watched a new documentary out on Prime Video called “The Bubble”. It was about Celebration not TV. Will there be a separate new one with the same name? I was surprised Celebration was using the term bubble also.
Closed Thread

Tags
documentary, villages, bubble, here---, link

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.