Another golf cart accident...on Odell yesterday

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Another golf cart accident...on Odell yesterday

Saw in today's Sun there was yet another golf-cart accident near the Hadley pool yesterday afternoon. Having driven here many times can see how that can happen. There is a merging into traffic because of the approaching gate to either go to Havana or Colony. Wonder what happened in this case??!!!
Hoping for a good outcome for the person who was transported.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Didn't happen at the Merge but near the North entrance to the Mail Stop. I happened by after the fact. Cart had a 81 year olf amn and his wife, they were hit by a blue pickup truck. she was only bruised but he was ejected from the cart and had cuts and minor injuries.

They took him to the hospital for observation and Xrays.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
Didn't happen at the Merge but near the North entrance to the Mail Stop. I happened by after the fact. Cart had a 81 year olf amn and his wife, they were hit by a blue pickup truck. she was only bruised but he was ejected from the cart and had cuts and minor injuries.

They took him to the hospital for observation and Xrays.
I'm surprised that all carts don't come with seat belts as part at the village package. My Par Car has them and I always use them. Most injuries are caused by ejection.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Sumter County Sheriff's Office does not recommend seat belts for golf carts. Call Lt. Wolfe and he'll explain or go to a golf cart safety class for more information.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Sumter County Sheriff's Office does not recommend seat belts for golf carts. Call Lt. Wolfe and he'll explain or go to a golf cart safety class for more information.
I have all the information I need. There have been a few studies on the golf cart seat belt topic and all of the ones I read recommend seat belts. Besides, it's common sense.

I hope the couple that was injured recover quickly.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
its mandatory on lsv's
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
its mandatory on lsv's
True, and not only that, they're 3 point belts just like a car. And our Tomberlin lsvs also have solid roll over bars instead of the flimsy channel bar used in many standard carts.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage
Default ??

Quote:
Rather than bombard Lt. Wolfe with dozens of calls, please tell the basic rationale for not using seat belts on golf carts driven on paved streets and in automobile traffic. I don't know how ejection from the cart, onto pavement/concrete and into the path of other vehicles can be preferable.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
True, and not only that, they're 3 point belts just like a car. And our Tomberlin lsvs also have solid roll over bars instead of the flimsy channel bar used in many standard carts.
What is an lsvs?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM

LSV = low speed vehicle.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Rather than bombard Lt. Wolfe with dozens of calls, please tell the basic rationale for not using seat belts on golf carts driven on paved streets and in automobile traffic. I don't know how ejection from the cart, onto pavement/concrete and into the path of other vehicles can be preferable.
I was at a neighborhood meeting where the Lt. spoke and, if memory serves (and it may not), the rationale for NOT using seat belts in a GOLF CART, was that many/most GOLF CART accidents involve a ROLLOVER of the GOLF CART and, if you were using a seat belt, you would be crushed ... I have an LSV with seatbelts and use them all the time for the reasons expressed in this thread ...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage
Default No "good" cart accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I was at a neighborhood meeting where the Lt. spoke and, if memory serves (and it may not), the rationale for NOT using seat belts in a GOLF CART, was that many/most GOLF CART accidents involve a ROLLOVER of the GOLF CART and, if you were using a seat belt, you would be crushed ... I have an LSV with seatbelts and use them all the time for the reasons expressed in this thread ...
It looks like there is no "good" type of golf cart accident to be in. The reason we got seatbelts on our cart is because our neighbors/friends have told of several accidents they know of, in which the passenger was thrown out when the driver had to make a sudden maneuver and the passenger was just riding/daydreaming and not holding on.....no rollover of the cart.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It looks like there is no "good" type of golf cart accident to be in. The reason we got seatbelts on our cart is because our neighbors/friends have told of several accidents they know of, in which the passenger was thrown out when the driver had to make a sudden maneuver and the passenger was just riding/daydreaming and not holding on.....no rollover of the cart.
lsv's have many safety features that golf carts do not. i stress the word many !
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Not to speak officially for Lt. Wolfe but Sumter County's rationale is that it is generally better to be ejected from a golf cart rather than be crushed underneath it when it rolls over.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Golf Cart drivers need to remember passengers are not holding

Quote:
Golf Cart drivers need to remember their passengers are not holding on to a steering wheel. I am generally a passenger when I am in TV, and I have noticed that there are not many good places to hang on.
JJ
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.