Another Golf Cart Question: 4 Seaters

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Default Another Golf Cart Question: 4 Seaters

I am searching for our first cart and would use a 4 seater occasionally, maybe 2-3 days every six weeks. I also have 2 smallish dogs that I would like to take for rides (I've been promising them for 3 years). Several cart salesmen have warned me about the evils of the 4 seaters, so, what are your opinions, facts and experiences. I would have placed this in the Golf Cart thread but not many people seem to read that one. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
I am searching for our first cart and would use a 4 seater occasionally, maybe 2-3 days every six weeks. I also have 2 smallish dogs that I would like to take for rides (I've been promising them for 3 years). Several cart salesmen have warned me about the evils of the 4 seaters, so, what are your opinions, facts and experiences. I would have placed this in the Golf Cart thread but not many people seem to read that one. Thanks!
We have a four seater. The extra seat is so handy for taking along friends, visitors, shopping, and taking our huge dog for a ride. I've never heard of "evils of four seaters". What specifically did the salesmen warn you about??
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Gold member

For what it's worth, I have seen on several occasions, operators of a stretch golf cart with 4 forward facing seats having difficulty negotiating the turns entering and leaving tunnels. One driver said she wished the dang thing had power steering. Don't believe this is a problem with the carts that have the rear facing back seat.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Sage

The extra weight of the seat requires I think heavy duty springs, so the ones I was in tend to be a harder ride.

IOW you can feel the difference.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Gold member

Never having ridden in one, I wonder, do folks riding in rear facing seat in a gas powered cart smell the exhaust?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

We have a four-facing-forward golf cart. We chose it because we frequently have visitors that we want to show the sights from a golf cart. We also chose the four forward style because it is much more comfortable to have conversations between the front and rear seats than in a cart in which two seats face backwards.

The four forward style is made that way at the factory by Yamaha and has a longer wheelbase than the normal two seater. The carts with backward facing seats are two seaters that were modified after leaving the factory. A good modification requires not only adding the seats but also adding stronger rear springs.

The problems with the four forward style are that turning into and out of tunnels are very tight and require that they be done slowly, and that you cannot park them headed to the curb around the town squares because they are too long and they project into the traffic lanes.

The problems that I have with carts with backward facing seats are that conversations between front and rear are difficult and the people in the back must twist around to communicate; and that you often see very young grandchildren riding in the back without adult supervision or seat belts. It is very dangerous.

Like a previous poster, I would like to know what you were told about the "evils of four seaters."

By the way........... BUY GAS, NOT ELECTRIC.

Click on the photo below to see a larger photo.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-21 16.02.48.jpg
Views:	2127
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	23406  
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM

I'm only interested in the 4 seater facing rearward. The sales people tell me about parking problems, much stiffer ride, uncomfortable on the golf course, etc. They all (4 or 5) told me most buyers return in 18 months and want a 2 seater. One, the owner of a dealership, said "The 4 seater rides like s---!"
Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

We like the 4 seaters (rear seat facing backwards). Rent one and see if you like the ride. We think it is fine.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

When I tested the Club Car at GrandPas and Grandmas modified for a 4 seater facing backwards the real problem for me was that the front seat was too close to the steering wheel for my comfort.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM

We bought a 2 seater gas and my husband ordered online a rear seat and added it himself. The ride is fine and we have no problems. It folds down so it becomes a platform and I can put my groceries on it. The only thing is that we are now trying to decide if we should buy a longer roof and more panels for the enclosure so we can enclose the back in rain.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum member

I''ve had a rear facing 4-seater for years and I love it. A simple laundry basket bungee corded to the front seat frame provides a great place for our dog to ride. The springs were stiffened slightly, but I cannot tell the difference between the ride in my cart and others. I'm over 6 feet tall and have more than enough room to drive. If it's comfort you're concerned about, that has little to do with the whether you have a 4-seater. It's all about the seats themselves. Want real comfort? It's only $1800 extra for ultimate seating.

I have the same wheel base as two seaters so the nonsense about parking difficulties is just that. I have a post mounted on the back to hold golf bags or a grocery bag. The grocery bag is nice because the only thing you give up with a 4-seater is the basket behind the front seat. Just once I had two large persons in the back seat. It wasn't a problem, I had complete control, but there was a subtle change in the steering. For someone who could use it as often as you say, getting a four seater sounds like a no-brainer.

If a new 4-seater is too expensive, have you considered a rebuilt cart? They are several thousand dollars less than new and you get to build a custom cart. I did that at Masters Golf Cars and they did exactly what I wanted.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM

We love our 4 seater. We added seat belt to ours especially helpful with Grandkids they are great, also our backbench seat lifts up and provides me with a trunk that I use for grocery shopping. I can get 3 bages across and you can add more if you do nto mind the back seat not going all the way down. Have had it 18 months and have never had a problem. Our dogs love to ride in the cart and you can buy a pet seat that fits across the back seat if they are smaller dogs..

Last edited by mrsyarbie; 10-19-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM

We have a 4-seater with a rear facing back seat. While we do like it, we wish we would have gotten a 2-seater. The main reason is because we would like to get it enclosed (don't like having to deal with the Sunbrella enclosure) and we have not found any 4-seater enclosures on the market. So, now if we want to get a Curtis cab or other type of enclosure, we have to get a new golf cart too. For the amount of times we've used the extra seats, we could have rented a 4-seater for those times.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpvillager View Post
We have a 4-seater with a rear facing back seat. While we do like it, we wish we would have gotten a 2-seater. The main reason is because we would like to get it enclosed (don't like having to deal with the Sunbrella enclosure) and we have not found any 4-seater enclosures on the market. So, now if we want to get a Curtis cab or other type of enclosure, we have to get a new golf cart too. For the amount of times we've used the extra seats, we could have rented a 4-seater for those times.
I think the rear facing four seater is just an add on seat and you could have it removed and put a golf bag holder in its place. You could probably sell it on craigs list to someone that wants to convert to a 4 seater.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Never having ridden in one, I wonder, do folks riding in rear facing seat in a gas powered cart smell the exhaust?
YES!!! It's awful and choking

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.