Another Near Miss - people in a hurry

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Gold member
Default Another Near Miss - people in a hurry

Two weeks ago I slowly navigated the mm path’s blind bend toward the Moyer Loop/Morse tunnel. I say “slowly” because I was traveling behind a cyclist riding a low recumbent bike. As the path straightened at the tunnel approach, a man riding in a golf cart behind me, suddenly shot out and around me. He failed to see not only the recumbent bike in front, but a golf cart coming UP the tunnel, almost parallel with the bike. I screamed, hit the brakes and slid down the tunnel. The cart coming UP the tunnel swerved wildly and took a right turn into the grass and shrubs. The cyclist was miraculously unharmed as the idiot in the cart wove wildly around we three and shot off. His cart was “souped up” and he disappeared down Hillsboro. I can only hope he learned a valuable lesson in reckless overtaking. The white haired lady (me)driving so slowly ahead of him (we are only talking yards here) toward the tunnel, had two reasons for that slow speed. One, the blind bend in the mm path, Two, the low slung recumbent bike ahead of my cart. Following that very frightening near catastrophe, I pulled over on the verge to collect myself. Thankfully the high volume of traffic has decreased a little. I can but hope
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Sage

Too bad police have no ability to enforce rules on the mmp's--they can do a stop unless there is an accident or an incident
Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This morning I was traveling along the path on 466 and saw a truck in/on the path and workers in the path spraying, two hoses AND two workers were in the path in front of me. I slowed down to be sure the truck wasn't blocking me ahead, an island obscured my complete view. I heard someone behind me yell GO! It was a group of bicyclists. They also yelled GO! when I stopped at the stop sign to turn into our village.

This has never happened to me. I try to be aware of people behind me but was concentrating at that time on the workers ahead of me.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Sage

Sorry that happend. It can be very scary. What are people thinking? I had a man in a car run a stop sign as I was driving North on Morse Blvd. yesterday passing the street Colony cottage is on. He didn't even slow down. I jammed on my brakes and the huge pickup truck behind me almost ran me over. The guy in the car looked very annoyed that he had to back up to get out of the intersection. Incredible.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This morning I was traveling along the path on 466 and saw a truck in/on the path and workers in the path spraying, two hoses AND two workers were in the path in front of me. I slowed down to be sure the truck wasn't blocking me ahead, an island obscured my complete view. I heard someone behind me yell GO! It was a group of bicyclists. They also yelled GO! when I stopped at the stop sign to turn into our village.

This has never happened to me. I try to be aware of people behind me but was concentrating at that time on the workers ahead of me.
But GG, you forgot that SOME, not all, and probably only a few cyclists are "entitled" and do not believe they should have to follow the same rules of the road as cars and carts----it is "inconvenient" for them to slow down like you had to. It is even worse when they ride in a large group and feel they are entitled to ride as one entity. I'm sure you've been going around a RB and have had a group of cyclists enter the RB, and just keep coming one after the other, ignoring the yield sign, so that you have to stop for THEM. I wish I was entitled to have everyone else stop for me as well---where do you go to get THAT privilege?
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage

When I used to ride bikes-the rule of common courtesy was limit your group going into any intersection @ 5 bikes @ a time, too bad we have see groups exceeding 20 circling around circles and blowing thru intersections
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage

It is very upsetting. After the fact you think of all the ways things could have gone horribly wrong. You can blame reckless drivers but that doesn't help. Driving here is a lot easier then in Philly or NYC but up there your antennae is always up. You get used to it.

Better to think of a way to minimize the risks like safer alternative routes or time of travel.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
Two weeks ago I slowly navigated the mm path’s blind bend toward the Moyer Loop/Morse tunnel. I say “slowly” because I was traveling behind a cyclist riding a low recumbent bike. As the path straightened at the tunnel approach, a man riding in a golf cart behind me, suddenly shot out and around me. He failed to see not only the recumbent bike in front, but a golf cart coming UP the tunnel, almost parallel with the bike. I screamed, hit the brakes and slid down the tunnel. The cart coming UP the tunnel swerved wildly and took a right turn into the grass and shrubs. The cyclist was miraculously unharmed as the idiot in the cart wove wildly around we three and shot off. His cart was “souped up” and he disappeared down Hillsboro. I can only hope he learned a valuable lesson in reckless overtaking. The white haired lady (me)driving so slowly ahead of him (we are only talking yards here) toward the tunnel, had two reasons for that slow speed. One, the blind bend in the mm path, Two, the low slung recumbent bike ahead of my cart. Following that very frightening near catastrophe, I pulled over on the verge to collect myself. Thankfully the high volume of traffic has decreased a little. I can but hope
He didn't learn damn thing, did he have golf clubs on back of his cart? IMO most inconsiderate obnoxious out of control golf carts are the golfers racing to next tee times with there cart cranked up 35 plus. zoom, zoom.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Gold member

Good point Tomwed. I already try to travel in less obvious times. You are correct that I did rewind the “tape” in my head and mulled over the “woulda , should-a, could-a’s along with the horrible accident mercifully avoided.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Sorry that happend. It can be very scary. What are people thinking? I had a man in a car run a stop sign as I was driving North on Morse Blvd. yesterday passing the street Colony cottage is on. He didn't even slow down. I jammed on my brakes and the huge pickup truck behind me almost ran me over. The guy in the car looked very annoyed that he had to back up to get out of the intersection. Incredible.
If you think that's bad? Which it is, but try driving motorcycle for just 2 miles and see how many will look right at you and pull out in front of you, like motorcycles don't have right of way when the do.

Now, sometimes at right angle the motorcycle will be hidden by the A pillar blind spot which as motorcycle rider you make sure you make eye contact and be ready to stop cause you can bet it will happen several times to you're destination.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

Wish the cops would set up speed traps every morning , especially as the weather heats--to get the nuts who are running late for their Tee times, St. Charles and Bailey Trail would be like shooting fish in the barrel between 6:30-7:30 AM almost any day
Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you think that's bad? Which it is, but try driving motorcycle for just 2 miles and see how many will look right at you and pull out in front of you, like motorcycles don't have right of way when the do.

Now, sometimes at right angle the motorcycle will be hidden by the A pillar blind spot which as motorcycle rider you make sure you make eye contact and be ready to stop cause you can bet it will happen several times to you're destination.
I have seen what you are describing and know how dangerous it can be on a motorcycle. With so many seniors here who don't have great judgement or great eye sight it is scary to be in a car or on a bike around here.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

I don't ride, but I've seen this happen quite a bit. Blind spot---maybe. That's why the warning light in the side view mirror is useful. You can't rely on it and should still turn and look, but one thing is certain---if the light is on, something is there.
I also see the big city lane change a lot. This is where the driver turns the wheel and catches the directional at the same time, usually while halfway into the lane change. This is born from driving in heavy traffic where the "inconsiderate AH's" will squeeze you out if you signal an intention to get into their lane. I guess they think they'll get somewhere sooner if they never let another car in front of them (in addition to the 2,000 cars already in front of them)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But GG, you forgot that SOME, not all, and probably only a few cyclists are "entitled" and do not believe they should have to follow the same rules of the road as cars and carts----it is "inconvenient" for them to slow down like you had to. It is even worse when they ride in a large group and feel they are entitled to ride as one entity. I'm sure you've been going around a RB and have had a group of cyclists enter the RB, and just keep coming one after the other, ignoring the yield sign, so that you have to stop for THEM. I wish I was entitled to have everyone else stop for me as well---where do you go to get THAT privilege?
Apparently, to a bicycle shop.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't ride, but I've seen this happen quite a bit. Blind spot---maybe. That's why the warning light in the side view mirror is useful. You can't rely on it and should still turn and look, but one thing is certain---if the light is on, something is there.
I also see the big city lane change a lot. This is where the driver turns the wheel and catches the directional at the same time, usually while halfway into the lane change. This is born from driving in heavy traffic where the "inconsiderate AH's" will squeeze you out if you signal an intention to get into their lane. I guess they think they'll get somewhere sooner if they never let another car in front of them (in addition to the 2,000 cars already in front of them)
The A pillar blind spot I was referring to when motorcycle in the roundabout or cross traffic and car entering can't see the motorcycle or car for that matter. With the slanting windshields and wide A pillar it can hide even compact car in its blind spot. As far as motorcycle beside car I never stay beside car in 4 lane road. I either get in front or stay behind vehicles beside me if possible.

I agree some will turn first look later or signal after they're half way in the other lane. I think it will take few more years before all cars have 360 degree warnings. My 2012 car will probably outlast me if I don't get tired of it and trade it? It don't have no cameras or warnings.
Closed Thread

Tags
tunnel, cart, bike, path, ahead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.