another reason to stop staring @ your phone

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Sage
Default another reason to stop staring @ your phone

Yesterday I was entering a supermarket. I was in the cross walk and there was a stop sign

Well, a brown Lincoln Town Car blows by, within 8"'s infront of me--if I was looking @ a phone-I wouldn't be writing this note

Saw the driver-a real elderly woman, with oxygen- I told her that she almost hit me--got a blank stare, that reminded me of my relatives when they had dementia

Called the Sheriff gave them her tag #--was told I should have called them immediately & they could have done a welfare eval
Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

That had to have been very scary. Thank you for posting. We all need to remain aware and alert while walking as well as driving.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Along the same lines, are those that act like it's the most important thing in the world at that exact moment...to immediately answer a ringing cell phone.

While there may be a minuscule % of those waiting for a call that they absolutely need to answer, most people (young & old) act as if there isn't that neat little feature installed in cell phones...called VOICE MAIL.

What did we ever do in the 'olden days' when we didn't have the ability to yap on a phone, when digging for change or coupons...while the cashier and line behind waits for you?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday I was entering a supermarket. I was in the cross walk and there was a stop sign

Well, a brown Lincoln Town Car blows by, within 8"'s infront of me--if I was looking @ a phone-I wouldn't be writing this note

Saw the driver-a real elderly woman, with oxygen- I told her that she almost hit me--got a blank stare, that reminded me of my relatives when they had dementia

Called the Sheriff gave them her tag #--was told I should have called them immediately & they could have done a welfare eval
I believe that if the STOP sign is on private property it is not enforceable as a traffic violation. Read somewhere that the signs are not the same size as the official ones put up by the county/municipality. But if there is some sort of accident that could be an issue.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-15-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: mistyping accident
Old 09-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Sage

All stop signs in the TV are treated as a recommendations---a crosswalk should not
Old 09-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
All stop signs in the TV are treated as a recommendations---a crosswalk should not
Same thing as stop signs on private property. They are not enforceable.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Same thing as stop signs on private property. They are not enforceable.
"It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is"........ Don't think I would want to be the person in front of the judge saying - " Sure I ran over the old lady.... that STOP SIGN is on private property! or " Sure I could have stopped before hitting those kids but.... I think that crosswalk is not a legal one."
Old 09-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I got rear-ended at The Dunkin Donuts drive up by a Very Nice Man in his Subaru. My foot was not on the brake in my Golf Cart and it just knocked me 25 feet forward and I had pain in my back and spine and my blood pressure was through the roof and the man tried to talk to me and I asked him to back off so I wasn't rude to him. After a while blood pressure down, coffee in hand and an explanation from the man that his wife had a major operation and he was a wreck. He was afraid of getting sued. I called him the next day to let him off the hook and now we're friends. The officer and Villages Technician in the red pick up truck were wonderful to me.

I always say it is an accident not an on purpose. Nobody wants to make contact with another at any time and anywhere. I just spent 7 weeks in N.J. and I'll take every problem child driver in The Villages over the animals up north. It really stinks when the incident happens to you in The Villages but I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else. You have to be on your game at all times. We are lucky comparatively speaking.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:

I don't get it. This happened yesterday, so you called within 24 hours and the police would have been concerned about this woman yesterday, but not today? I don't know what happens at a "welfare eval" but it sounds like something more than was she drunk or overmedicated yesterday.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Sage

I called the Sheriff 40 minutes , when I got back to my residence
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
"It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is"........ Don't think I would want to be the person in front of the judge saying - " Sure I ran over the old lady.... that STOP SIGN is on private property! or " Sure I could have stopped before hitting those kids but.... I think that crosswalk is not a legal one."
This was in the context of someone violating a traffic law. You’re blowing my statement out of proportion. Blah blah blah.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Along the same lines, are those that act like it's the most important thing in the world at that exact moment...to immediately answer a ringing cell phone.

While there may be a minuscule % of those waiting for a call that they absolutely need to answer, most people (young & old) act as if there isn't that neat little feature installed in cell phones...called VOICE MAIL.

What did we ever do in the 'olden days' when we didn't have the ability to yap on a phone, when digging for change or coupons...while the cashier and line behind waits for you?
Some people have distraction issues. For me, the sound of the phone ringing is one of those issues. I can't stand it. If I'm in a conversation with you and your phone rings, PLEASE answer it immediately. Even if it's just to disconnect/reject the call. Just make it stop ringing. The ringing is interrupting the conversation, and it won't stop interrupting it, until you either answer it, or until it stops ringing by itself. The quicker it stops, the sooner we can get back to the conversation.

Sometimes I have my ringer on, sometimes it's turned off and I only get the vibrate. If it's on and someone calls me, I answer it as soon as I can get the phone out of my back pocket and press the button. The only time I don't do that, is if I'm driving. I allow it to distract me til it shuts itself off, but it's very difficult.

That said, it's unbearably rude to actually have a conversation on your cell phone when you're at the cash register, or in a line at the checkout. Whether your realize it or not, you raise the volume of your voice when you talk on the phone. So everyone in line can hear your end of the conversation. Most of us would prefer not to.

I've actually had customers tell ME to wait for THEM, while they finish their conversation on the phone. I tell them sure, no problem, and tell the person behind them that I'll take care of THEM instead.

If the phone rings, answer it. If you're in a checkout, tell the person on the phone to hold on, OR tell them you'll call them back. If you need to take the call, get OUT of line, step away from it so you're not interrupting everyone else, and handle your emergency.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I believe that if the STOP sign is on private property it is not enforceable as a traffic violation. Read somewhere that the signs are not the same size as the official ones put up by the county/municipality. But if there is some sort of accident that could be an issue.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Try that excuse with your insurance company when they tell you you were wrong. Just because you don't receive a ticket doesn't absolve you of responsibility!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Try that excuse with your insurance company when they tell you you were wrong. Just because you don't receive a ticket doesn't absolve you of responsibility!
I don't believe SFSkol was suggesting anyone wantonly disregard stop signs and crosswalks on private property. Rather, those traffic control devices are not enforceable by law enforcement. Of course, that doesn't absolve someone of civil repercussions if an accident occurred.
Closed Thread

Tags
called, told, stop, me--got, blank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.