From another state

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbirds, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. 😳
Are you serious? What are you worried about? You didn't think what would happen to you? You'd retire and come to live in paradise?

I've lived in different states and countries and The Villages by far is the greatest place that I've ever lived.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Well said!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Going through the same thing right now. It's the timing that has me worried. Close on my house, close on the new house, utilities, movers, car license and insurance, doctors, dentists, animals, painters & flooring & exterminators (I'm buying a resale). I know some of this can wait, but wow. Lots to make lists about...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 AM

Hurry up and get here. Best move we ever made. Came from Wisconsin.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellincf View Post
Going through the same thing right now. It's the timing that has me worried. Close on my house, close on the new house, utilities, movers, car license and insurance, doctors, dentists, animals, painters & flooring & exterminators (I'm buying a resale). I know some of this can wait, but wow. Lots to make lists about...
Yup, we went through this last year. Not going to tell you it wasn't a nightmare but it was totally worth it.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Default Driver's License

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellincf View Post
FYI - for a married woman who has changed her name, she must provide either a passport or a copy of her birth certificate and all marriage certificates (if she was married more than once). Learned this the hard way. Luckily my daughter lives in my birth state and was able to get the documents and send to me. If only I had brought my passport with me. We are not moving to TV full-time until next year but wanted to get this done on our recent trip.

Congratulations on your retirement!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 AM

I have done 35 years in NJ, 35 in VA and I'm here nearly five years. As someone noted above, you can learn to leave the drudge of work and deadlines and find a whole new "family of friends" within shouting distance of your front door. The activities will quickly make you forget the working years. You can be as busy as you want or just sit on your duff and no-one will make you feel like you've made the wrong choice. You be able to try things that have been on the back burner for years becase you'll now have the time. And, Florida's "Friendliest Home Town" is not just a saying; it's a life style. Yes, it's an adjustment but well worth it. gigabyte
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

I retired at 63. My wife worked for four more years. We lived in North Atlanta. I still could kick myself for letting her work. We should have moved in 2008 but waited till 2012. I lost four great years I could have been here. You just have to make the make the commitment and do it. It was hard for us and we brought way too much stuff with us to TV. My attic over the garage almost fell in from the weight of stuff in the attic. When we moved to this house we got rid of all the stuff we should not have brought. Now own two homes here and rent one. FROG "here till I croak"!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Smile Educator

Quote:
If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbirds, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. 😳
We moved from PA in 1997 to a home we had built in TV. Spent 19 years of a beautiful life there. Age sent us back to PA a year ago. If you find a house you really like, don't hesitate, it could be the move of your life. unkieoyde Ex-Villager
Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 AM

We are just starting our third year. We'd known for years we wanted to retire in Florida, the question was Where? We traveled all over Fl, learned we could get much more house in other communities.

But wait ~ there is no-one on the street. The rec center (singular) is deserted. We decided we wanted to live in a community, not a house. So you've made a good start.

It was particularly hard for DH to sell furniture that wouldn't transition. We did have some minor squabbles as we dealt with our (sometimes unrecognized) anxiety. After our home was in reasonable order, that faded away.

Now we have several very good friends, and many acquaintances. We bowl, play water volleyball. DH goes to billiards; I play cards. He golfs; I go to yoga ( a free two hour Hatha yoga class!) My friends up north are amazed.

We have no regrets, and no plans to move. Just be sure to buy plenty of garage space!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM

We did the move at 46 and 52 from 3,000 miles away. Best thing we ever did. Our youngest turned 18 and moved out so here we came. My husband died 10 years later at 62. Had we waited we never would have had those amazing 10 years. I went back to work and will retire again in 2 years. Go for it. This is a wonderful place to live. Sometimes leaving what's familiar brings with it many new sides to you you never knew existed. Life is good, enjoy it and embrace all it has to offer. You'll be happy you did. Good wishes.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaborn@comcast.net View Post
FYI - for a married woman who has changed her name, she must provide either a passport or a copy of her birth certificate and all marriage certificates (if she was married more than once). Learned this the hard way. Luckily my daughter lives in my birth state and was able to get the documents and send to me. If only I had brought my passport with me. We are not moving to TV full-time until next year but wanted to get this done on our recent trip.

A passport by itself will not suffice in some instances. For example, if I remember correctly, you need a Florida state ID or driver's license to file for homestead--which saves you A LOT on real estate taxes.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Default Homestead Filing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
A passport by itself will not suffice in some instances. For example, if I remember correctly, you need a Florida state ID or driver's license to file for homestead--which saves you A LOT on real estate taxes.
That is correct. You need to get driver's license first, which establishes residency, and then apply for homestead exemption.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaborn@comcast.net View Post

You will also need your old driver's license and your social security card.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbird, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. 😳
You are indeed being given some sound advice. Life changing decisions such as this can place one in a quandary.

We have moved so often that after a period of time we get restless. We would have moved from The Villages long ago. However the more important consideration is not moving from for us but the moving to.

We left the Minneapolis area which we loved but could do so because we had no family ties.

We move to The Villages primarily because of the tax advantages. Winters were a minor concern;albeit being away from winters for 11 years would be a factor for me now but not my wife who simply has been having a difficult time with the heat.

Essentially what I am suggesting is that if after all considerations moving to offers you more in the rewards you seek then you have asked and answered your question. If you have sufficient funds perhaps being a seasonal resident would be more to your liking

Best of luck to you
Closed Thread

Tags
state, happen, snowbirds, permanent, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.