From another state

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Default From another state

If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbirds, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. 😳
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbirds, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. ν ½νΈ³
I think it takes a lot of courage to move from a place you have lived all of your life to a new one. It is very difficult to get rid of possessions you have loved and enjoyed or just got used to. It is hard work also and stressful to sell a house and leave familiar surroundings and favorite places. It is a lot like being a pioneer. AND it is listed as a stressor in some lists psychiatrists have made.

Most of us land beautifully and find many similar traits in those around us and quickly assimilate into NOT going to work and learning new skills and enjoying not having to meet deadlines...here in this beautiful place, planned for grown up people. Good luck and

Welcome HOME.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Hmmm, Worry... Naw, our move to TV, was the Best move from Tennessee we ever made... Frog's...
Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw14 View Post
Hmmm, Worry... Naw, our move to TV, was the Best move from Tennessee we ever made... Frog's...
You are not a Canadian? Isn't your avatar a Mountie?

Well I'll be.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM

Thank you so much. My blood pressure has been a little high with what we want to do. I usually have normal blood pressure. I just took an early buyout with my job, I am 59. I was going to wait until at least 62. My husband is retired already. I see you a lot posting on this site and you always have such smart
replied.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 09-23-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Want to erase
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it takes a lot of courage to move from a place you have lived all of your life to a new one. It is very difficult to get rid of possessions you have loved and enjoyed or just got used to. It is hard work also and stressful to sell a house and leave familiar surroundings and favorite places. It is a lot like being a pioneer. AND it is listed as a stressor in some lists psychiatrists have made.

Most of us land beautifully and find many similar traits in those around us and quickly assimilate into NOT going to work and learning new skills and enjoying not having to meet deadlines...here in this beautiful place, planned for grown up people. Good luck and

Welcome HOME.
Thank you so much. My blood pressure has been a little high with what we want to do. I usually have normal blood pressure. I just took an early buyout with my job, I am 59. I was going to wait until at least 62. My husband is retired already. I see you a lot posting on this site and you always have such smart
replies.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 AM

So happy for you.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

You are close to your original retirement target date. You took an early out. You have probably done the math and financially you are set. Now is the time to sit back and decide what you want in your next phase.

Determine if you are coming to TV fulltime, or as a snow. Determine if you want to rent for a year or two or just jump in with both feet. Determine what you want in retirement......how active, how passive, how much travel......map it out. Once you have a map/plan, you might be able to enjoy this transition.

Good Luck.
You WILL love it.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are not a Canadian? Isn't your avatar a Mountie?

Well I'll be.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
If you moved from another state to live in the Villages, what was your feeling. I seem to be overwhelmed with worry. Leaving a job, selling a house. I did not think this would happen to me. I know some of you are snowbirds, but would like to hear from the permanent residents. 😳
We visited many times since 07. Didn't buy our first house in until 2010.

Full retirement didn't come until 2015 for one of us and the other is still working full-time . Since only one of us lives here full-time it doesn't seem that stressful More like a very long vacation. We spent lots of time with our financial advisor before we made any decisions.

We have slowly moved stuff down taking our time since we still have our other home. Must have stuff first, and when there is no more room will sell everything else.

TV is not for everyone and we made sure by renting it was the place for us. Of course we have also moved the normal 2.5 times in TV to different areas.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM

I came here after working for my company for 41 years .I retired at 58 when I come here people said your only 58 why did you retired . I worked outside for all those years didn't work in a office had a very physical job that's why. couldn't afford to retire a live in Connecticut on my pension or be a snowbird owning 2 places. it's simple math if you can afford 2 places do it . everyone here has a different life style an it's all base on what you have at the end of the month in the checking account.mind is simple an I like it that way. family some people can't be away from family an it's usually one of the spouses that can't be away from the kids.you have all the answers figure it out together.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
We moved from Northern CA to Florida in 1996. Hard thing to do to pull up roots and the like and come to an unfamiliar place. We were following my parents' grand kids which made it better but then a divorce loomed and these grand kids moved back to Northern CA and we came to the Villages in 2005. There were many nice people to greet us as soon as we moved in to our new neighborhood. I hope you find the new home town like we did in 2005. It does depend a lot on lucking out and having good neighbors.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Smile Don't Worry

We moved from California in 2015. Retirement and moving are stressful and overwhelming. Once you have a plan you might be more at ease. What is your biggest worry? You are in for a treat. TV is a wonderful place to be!

Quote:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
I came here after working for my company for 41 years .I retired at 58 when I come here people said your only 58 why did you retired . I worked outside for all those years didn't work in a office had a very physical job that's why. couldn't afford to retire a live in Connecticut on my pension or be a snowbird owning 2 places. it's simple math if you can afford 2 places do it . everyone here has a different life style an it's all base on what you have at the end of the month in the checking account.mind is simple an I like it that way. family some people can't be away from family an it's usually one of the spouses that can't be away from the kids.you have all the answers figure it out together.
Long time to work physically. Have fun in your retirement.

Tags
state, happen, snowbirds, permanent, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.