Any horror stories for NOT having a water softener?

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
What is it about Florida water and copper pipes that make them corrode?

Back in MA we had all copper pipes and fittings... house was built in the 50's. The only piping problem we knew of up there was bronze fittings tended to leak but not copper ones.
Up north your copper pipes were in basements and in interior walls. When they are encased in a concrete slab the concrete helps corrode them.

Even up north eventually copper can eventually leak, especially around fittings if the flux was never wiped off. And if the copper did leak, repairs were accessable and easy. You cannot do this cheaply or easily when you need a jackhammer first.

Up north, then copper did go through concrete, you always properly sleeve it first.

Frank
Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Thanks Frank
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We are going to look into both a softener and a filter. Our thought would be to buy from Home Depot or the like if we go with either. Our friend installed a system for about $400 to avoid the thousands that various companies charge. If we decide we need something it will probably be after a time of using the water as is for a while.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We are going to look into both a softener and a filter. Our thought would be to buy from Home Depot or the like if we go with either. Our friend installed a system for about $400 to avoid the thousands that various companies charge. If we decide we need something it will probably be after a time of using the water as is for a while.
Do what you want but you should consider Nova's system for water filtration, about 600 (I think) installed
Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

Water varies in parts of TV. Don't know why. Seven years ago we bought in The Village of Charlotte. My wife complained about water stains on dishes. We have moved about 1 mile away on Belle Glade CC and we do not notice the same issue. Only filter we use is the one on the refer.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Platinum member

We had Isherwood Plumbing (ad on TOTV) 8 years ago because we couldn't get shampoo to lather and dishwasher not cleaning. He installed a small filter at water line in garage and we get the filters at Home Depot. Amazing difference for a small investment and it's disgusting what is in that filter when we change it. Just sayin.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Do what you want but you should consider Nova's system for water filtration, about 600 (I think) installed
$575 in todays paper

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If we were to opt for a water system it would be Nova. I have only heard positive reviews.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
My house is in Historic District/Lady Lake.

I've been researching about Water Softeners, and I haven't seen any ultimatums about them, i.e. "You must have a water softener or your pipes will clog up and then you have excavate under your house to fix them..." or something of that nature.

Any thoughts?

Are water softeners a "must have" if you live in TV?

Thanks in advance.

Back9
Nova. 600 bucks. The best investment ever. Love my water..

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is a personal decision. But, I think the water in The Villages is as good as most places I have lived, and I have never had a water softener or whole house filter.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

These WHF discussions are pretty fruitless. Those who swear by it will tell you that, and those who don't have one will tell you it's not needed. Not only is it all opinion, the water in this vast area differs from place to place.

It's a very personal choice based on very personal circumstances. If you don't like the taste of the water, or if it's leaving water spots or making your skin dry and itchy, then that should guide your decision. If you don't have a problem with any of that, don't buy one!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I looked into the Nova system today and reached out to them. Looks like we will have them install the filter system and see down the road if anything else is needed. Looks like a nice system and easy to use.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
These WHF discussions are pretty fruitless. Those who swear by it will tell you that, and those who don't have one will tell you it's not needed. Not only is it all opinion, the water in this vast area differs from place to place.

It's a very personal choice based on very personal circumstances. If you don't like the taste of the water, or if it's leaving water spots or making your skin dry and itchy, then that should guide your decision. If you don't have a problem with any of that, don't buy one!
I hate it when you talk "common sense"
Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Gold member

My softener/filter system was in bypass the other day when I was washing a pot in the sink. I got smacked in the face with the awful chlorine smell. I guess you can can get use to the stink and grime but I don't want to.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Hmm, I am only seeing testimonies, not people telling you to buy something before you get down here. There are facts and opinions being presented, for and against, but nobody is pushing anybody to buy something "water untried."
When they first moved here, my sister and BIL were told by phone salesmen The Villages water was going to kill them if they didn't purchase a whole house filter. That may be a slight exaggeration but it scared them enough to invest in a whole house filter right away.

Hubby and I have no interest in any type of whole house filter. The water filter on our fridge is much easier to change out and maintain and it does a wonderful job of giving us delicious tasting water.

I honestly don't think anyone will be harmed by drinking unfiltered Villages water.

Tags
water, softeners, house, softener, fix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.