Any horror stories for NOT having a water softener?

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLamers View Post
Something to consider when thinking about a softener is that if it is a salt based softener that house plants will not be happy with the water.
Agree, but if you use potassium chloride rather than salt the grass and plants do fine
Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To remove the calcium deposits from toilets, get a pumice stone from the swimming pool section of Home Depot. It works great.
it is generally unwise to use pumice on porcelain fixtures: while it may get rid of stains, it will also scratch the finish.

Clorox Clinging gel is very effective
Old 01-22-2019, 01:44 AM
Gold member

"Take a look in your toilet water tanks. If all the parts are clear, clean and look new then you probably don't need a softener."

That's a good place to look but also shower heads, dishwasher water jets, coffee maker water tank....

It is best to use the potassium chloride salt. 2x40lbs bags ($30ea=$60) last me about 10 months at ~2000 gallons a month.

The GE softener/filter machine ($800-HomeDepot) back washes the filter at every regen.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Having a water softener is 100% personal preference. there are THOUSANDS of homes in The Villages that do not have water softeners or water filters. It is important to note that a water SOFTENER and a water FILTER are two different things.....although some companies will sell and/or combine both.

I personally like whole house water filter. I recommend the NOVA filter system, as it does a good job at a good common sense price.

So, a few facts;

1) Prices for water systems vary...a lot. Some companies are known for being very "hard sell" with high mark-ups. There is sometimes no correlation between what you are charged and the quality of what you are buying.

2) Some people LOVE softened water....especially if they had a softener for years in their "old house". I personally do not like the feel of softened water....I think it feels somewhat "slimy". Just my personal opinion. In a 12 year old home I recently bought, there was a working water softener. I ripped it out and tossed it and installed a NOVA filter instead.

3) Water in Fenney, etc, is a BIT harder than the northern part of The Villages.....I do not find it objectionable.

4) If you do not like Chlorine taste, etc, you want a Filter.....a softener only softens.

5) To the post that focused on the 25 year old house with copper water lines.....yes, older Florida homes were built with copper pipes embedded in concrete. Builders have learned that it was not a good idea, just like cast iron waste pipes in concrete or below is also bad. Once copper starts leaking it will continue to develop more leaks. You are better off re-plumbing the entire home. Having a water softener will SLOW the amount of failure, but not eliminate it. You will still need to re-plumb.

6) All homes built in at least the last ten years or so in The Villages have CPVC water lines.....not copper.

Hope this helps.

Frank D.

Dangelo Inspections,

Thank you for your comprehensive, well organized, on-point responses.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 AM

We've hyad our villages home for 13 years and do not have one
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

I have a water softener. It's called a bar of soap.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, softeners, house, softener, fix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.