Any meteorologists here?

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Sage
Default Any meteorologists here?

This cloud formation resembles mammatus clouds, but not sure they are. This low massive formation is moving over my house right now. Very impressive. Picture might not show the pouch-like bottom of the cloud. No anvil top to this huge thing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	61435  

Last edited by pooh; 08-14-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 PM

Did you mean mammatus clouds?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Sage

Lol, I do....dam autocorrect....and me for not checking.... I'll correct it....thank you.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not all that impressive. Certainly not like what you see in the mid-west in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
This cloud formation resembles mammatas clouds, but not sure they are. This low massive formation is moving over my house right now. Very impressive. Picture might not show the pouch-like bottom of the cloud. No anvil top to this huge thing.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Sage

I'm from the Midwest, and I still impressed by the cloud and photo.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I just happy I able to still see it
Old 08-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
This cloud formation resembles mammatas clouds, but not sure they are. This low massive formation is moving over my house right now. Very impressive. Picture might not show the pouch-like bottom of the cloud. No anvil top to this huge thing.
Good morning, pooh,

I am not a meteorologist, but your photo sent me on a Google.

Could it be an asperatus cloud? I just read that the Cloud Appreciation Society had quite a conversation a few years back about whether asperatus could be an official cloud or not. (Who knew there was such a thing as the Cloud Appreciation Society. )

Well, asperatus must have made the cut because there is a nice lineup of cloud photos on accuweather.com and there is asperatus looking all official..........but I don't know if that is what you have here. Maybe it is a mammatus or even an asperatus trying to form.

Did you see what happened to it? Did it undulate or dissipate? Or did it just merrily roll along?

Great photo. Thanks. And thanks for giving me a few minutes of some interesting research.

Marian Boomer
Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Not all that impressive. Certainly not like what you see in the mid-west in the spring.
Probably not, but still it seemed to be so low and looked like it would just fall flat upon my street.... Most of the clouds are interesting to see, I came from CA where hills and mountains obscured the views of many the cloud formations, that's when we had them....didn't get much rain there, alas.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm from the Midwest, and I still impressed by the cloud and photo.
The photo didn't really do this particular cloud mass justice, PB. I just quickly grabbed my iPad and snapped. The sky was an eerie color last evening in my neighborhood so I stepped outside to see what was going on...and there was this...pretty. All was back to normal in short order.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I just happy I able to still see it
LOLOL, me, too, Rubicon, me too!...
Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning, pooh,

I am not a meteorologist, but your photo sent me on a Google.

Could it be an asperatus cloud? I just read that the Cloud Appreciation Society had quite a conversation a few years back about whether asperatus could be an official cloud or not. (Who knew there was such a thing as the Cloud Appreciation Society. )

Well, asperatus must have made the cut because there is a nice lineup of cloud photos on accuweather.com and there is asperatus looking all official..........but I don't know if that is what you have here. Maybe it is a mammatus or even an asperatus trying to form.

Did you see what happened to it? Did it undulate or dissipate? Or did it just merrily roll along?

Great photo. Thanks. And thanks for giving me a few minutes of some interesting research.

Marian Boomer
It just moved along Boomer as one huge mass. No undulation that I could notice. Was trying to see if it anviled, but saw nothing like that. It just rolled along, very slowly.

Had so few pretty cloud formations in our location in southern CA, I just enjoy seeing them here.

I'll have to check out asperatus formations....now I'll be doing a Google search, too...

Last edited by pooh; 08-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Sage
Default Any meteorologists here?

Quote:
The photo didn't really do this particular cloud mass justice, PB. I just quickly grabbed my iPad and snapped...
Oh I figured it was more impressive in person. But the image still conveyed a very heavy, almost solid look that I liked.

On a separate note, last night was a beautiful light show to the west...almost non-stop lightning with the bolts totally hidden behind a huge cloud bank. Very cool. Did you happen to see it? I tried to post a video but ToTV (understandably) wouldn't allow it. A still simply wouldn't have done it justice.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Oh I figured it was more impressive in person. But the image still conveyed a very heavy, almost solid look that I liked.

On a separate note, last night was a beautiful light show to the west...almost non-stop lightning with the bolts totally hidden behind a huge cloud bank. Very cool. Did you happen to see it? I tried to post a video but ToTV (understandably) wouldn't allow it. A still simply wouldn't have done it justice.
I didn't see it....wish I had. One time when we lived in CA, a HUGE thunderhead formed over the desert. The cloud was like a strobe light, lightning flashes, one after the other for a couple of hours. We were lucky enough to see if from our house. It was so beautiful. A San Diego tv station even had a helicopter out taking live video of it for the news.

It's nice to be able to see such light shows without being in danger. Could you hear thunder or was it that far away?
Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
...It's nice to be able to see such light shows without being in danger. Could you hear thunder or was it that far away?
Could hear some distant rumbling. Looking at my weather app, a wild guess would be that it was around Inverness or thereabouts.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Looking up at the sky makes me realize how insignificant I really am
Closed Thread

Tags
cloud, formation, impressive, picture, show

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.