Any regrets

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Folks...FredR gave his OPINION. He responded based on his own experience. Don't take it personally. There is nothing "wrong" with his post. Everyone doesn't have to agree. Good luck, FredR.
I think the point is, we didn't UNDERSTAND. Perhaps you need to read his post and ours too?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Any regrets from anyone that they live in the Villages. I see some who come from the Northeast. How are you feeling the heat? I know how hot it gets there. When my husband and I were there a few times, we loved the idea of golf carts, the pools for adults (no children) unless you go to the family pool, the squares, and the many clubs and activities that one can join.
We moved from Boston and NH. We have no regrets as such, but we miss certain things especially in Boston. Miss the theatre, the restaurants, the stores, the Museum and Art Galleries, even miss the Duck Boats! But, life moves on and we were finding it more and more difficult to drive in and out of Boston with the amount of traffic and the winters were really a problem. I think there comes a time in everyone's life when your needs change and ours did, so TV suits us just fine. Of course, the summer is hot, but the air conditioning is superb and we do not get the brown outs we had in Boston. So, in answer to your question "No Regrets", but great memories.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Gold member

No regrets, glad I came here before retirement age. We find it much more affordable than living where we were in the Northeast. Have not looked back even one day! Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Any regrets from anyone that they live in the Villages. I see some who come from the Northeast. How are you feeling the heat? I know how hot it gets there. When my husband and I were there a few times, we loved the idea of golf carts, the pools for adults (no children) unless you go to the family pool, the squares, and the many clubs and activities that one can join.
Geezzz-O-Pete, WE DO have A/C here in Florida....
Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

We moved to TV in March 2006 and have absolutely no regrets. Well, perhaps one. We regret not moving here first instead of another adult retirement community.

Because of personal obligations we are "Snowbirds" but have always owned instead of renting. We have found purchasing, decorating and selling four properties in TV have more than paid for our winters here. I admit owning a home here and one in Illinois can be challenging at times but we learn to deal with it.

Bottom line---I find living in a "growth community" is a much better situation than in a stagnant one. It appears that The Villages will continue to grow and progress for the foreseeable future. But to each his own.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Gold member
Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
First of all the same as you do or did your body gets used to the temperature.
As to hot. I used to walk the streets of Manhattan in a suit.
There is no state tax-NY was 6% Auto insurance is about half.
Believe it or not Florida oranges are less expensive in NY then in Florida.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Not with us, but the people next door are moving back to where they came from before being here a year; the wife misses their kids too much.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Platinum member

The only regret I have is that we didn't move here sooner. I was still working (consulting and traveling by plane every week) so I just had a longer commute to the airport. After nine years here, I pinch myself and say is it real? I too like seeing the progress. Every week there is something new - next week Walmart is opening near us. I have not missed a tennis day because of heat. I wish it were a bit warmer in January and February. Most of those who I know have moved back have done so for health reasons to be close to family.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I were born and raised in Michigan before moving to North Carolina 20 years ago. That first summer had record-breaking heat and I thought sure I was going to die from it. By the next summer, I didn't find it so bad. After that, no problems. We moved to The Villages last February as full-timers and just finished our first summer here. We didn't really find it hotter than North Carolina, just hot earlier and longer. And now that we're retired and don't have to get everything outside done on the precious few days off we had, we find it actually easier to take than North Carolina. If it's hot outside during the day in the summer months, we just find something inside to do. That can be at home (TV, reading, music, video games and let's not forget our wonderful naps!) or out in The Villages (so many clubs and classes at the recreation centers, bowling, shooting pool, going to the movies, dining out, shopping, going to the gym, etc.). If there are things that HAVE to be done outside, we just do them earlier in the morning or later in the evening. If it's too hot to go to the squares when the music starts at 5 PM, we can always wait until 7 PM, for example.

As far as regrets, sorry but I just don't have any yet. We love our house (which was built well enough to come through hurricane Irma without a scratch), we love bopping around in our golf cart, we love our neighborhood and neighbors, we love the huge variety of activities in The Villages and we love what we're finding to do outside of The Villages throughout Florida. And I have yet to even find time to take golf back up after 30+ years away from the game and take advantage of essentially free golf at the many executive courses!

But there must be SOME shortcomings, right? Well hmmm.... Costco hasn't moved here... yet! But we get down to Orlando about once a month to spend a few hours at one of the Disneys (awesome deals for annual passes for Florida residents) and stop in there and/or Trader Joes (also absent so far around The Villages) before heading home. What else? It took us a while to find a family physician but we have one now and quite like him. Ah, what else? Sorry, drawing a blank.

Good luck with your decision!

<Edit>
I just read another post who said their only regret was that they didn't move here sooner. I guess our only regret is that we couldn't move here sooner (wrapping up careers in North Carolina). But we moved here just three days after my last day of work up there!
</Edit>
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
I have regrets. That is the reason I sold last week. A year after I bought my home I went to the Rohan dedication and heard the Village rep say " this is the last rec center we will ever build. Then the next year, Fenny popped up. Then information about the land purchase near Wildwood. Then in 2017 the deal with Leesburg for another 8000 homes. Then I saw where Morse family was selling homes in Fenny for as little as $161,000. With another 22,000 homes coming on in the next 2 years I figured unless you owned for 5 yrs or more you would always compete with the builder forever. Put the home up August 1, sold it, and now rent for 4 months a year for a lot less than owning. Owning here is not inexpensive, no matter what the powers at be tell you. Some of us aren't as rich as many folks here. I guess if you sell a home in the East for big money, prices here are reasonable, but not for a middle class guy from Ohio. No, I enjoy visiting here, but wish I had not purchased. I'd be about 10 grand ahead if I had only rented.
I understood every word you said. It was clearly stated that you lost $$$ with your home sale in TV and not Cleveland.

I do sympathize with you. What works for us is I rent out my home, and only spend time here when its vacant, which is 5/6 or so months out of the year, not consecutively.

So you did the right thing for you, and I for me....

Live and Let Live....

Keep it up....
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
The only regret I have is that we didn't move here sooner. I was still working (consulting and traveling by plane every week) so I just had a longer commute to the airport. After nine years here, I pinch myself and say is it real? I too like seeing the progress. Every week there is something new - next week Walmart is opening near us. I have not missed a tennis day because of heat. I wish it were a bit warmer in January and February. Most of those who I know have moved back have done so for health reasons to be close to family.
I agree with every word of this post. Jojo was one of the first people we met when we moved here. We were born in the same city. That is the joy, the friendships that blossom over time with people of your own era and interests.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 AM

Yes I believe everyone had right to their opinion. And thank you for all of yours.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No regrets.

Wish I had one or two in order to make my response more credible. I'll try really hard to find one.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	no regerts.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	71740  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Ouch! I have no regrets but I wouldn't go that far!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

/////
Closed Thread

Tags
regrets, pools, adults, join, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.