Adding a closet to 3rd bedroom in Gardenia model

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2021, 04:46 AM
Default Adding a closet to 3rd bedroom in Gardenia model

We have a Gardenia model and need to add a closet to the 3rd bedroom as it does not have one.
Has anyone hired a contractor to do this?
If so, can you please provide details cost and contact details of the contractor.
Thank you very much
Julie
Old 05-06-2021, 06:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliewaters View Post
We have a Gardenia model and need to add a closet to the 3rd bedroom as it does not have one.
If so, can you please provide details cost and contact details of the contractor.
Thank you very much
Julie
If you have basic skills, it’s frame work and some doors, Lowe’s or HD will even cut the lumber for you. If not some handyman’s talents are pretty good, without trying to find a contractor for such a small job
Old 05-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Or if you don't need a full wall closet buy a free standing unit.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

How can they sell you a 3 BR home if a bedroom doesn't have a closet? I thought that was a requirement to call it a 3BR.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
How can they sell you a 3 BR home if a bedroom doesn't have a closet? I thought that was a requirement to call it a 3BR.
Lots of bedrooms here do not have closet.

We are in a 3 bedroom Begonia and front bedroom is closetless.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It’s not a 3 bedroom home. It is a 2 bedroom plus a den.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
It’s not a 3 bedroom home. It is a 2 bedroom plus a den.
It's a den.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Default Closet

ESP installation (Jordan)386-344-2447
5 years ago the price was $1000.00
Did a great job.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

We bought a Gardenia. It's the version of the plan with the windowed arches above the front door, and above the kitchen window and den window. We bought pre-owned. It was all the natural light that comes into a Gardenia that sold me.

Now, you are going to make your home an official 3 bedroom. Good idea.

Mr. Boomer can do the kind of work you need -- but he is not for hire. You should be able to get some suggestions here though.

You have probably thought this all through, but I cannot resist throwing in a few things to think about -- if you have not already.

I don't know if all Gardenias have a cathedral ceiling in the den, but if you do, you might want to think about if you would like for the drywall to follow the angle of the ceiling as the finished look. (I am assuming you are thinking of using the wall that backs up to the bathroom -- but maybe not.) Anyway, you will want someone who is particular about their drywall work so the closet will look like it has always been a part of the room.

You will need to decide if you want sliding doors, bi-fold doors, or French doors. French doors can come pre-hung. Also, discuss finish trim with the person you choose.

A closet is supposed to be a minimum depth of 24 inches for clothes. Rod height has a formula to it, too. If you do not need the closet for mostly hanging clothes, you could have shelves built along the sides in addition to the top shelves and leave a smaller space in the middle for hanging.

Please forgive me for going on and on. I love a good project. And I think your idea to make your Gardenia into a 3 bedroom is brilliant.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-06-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
We bought a Gardenia. It's the version of the plan with the windowed arches above the front door, and above the kitchen window and den window. We bought pre-owned. It was all the natural light that comes into a Gardenia that sold me.

Now, you are going to make your home an official 3 bedroom. Good idea.

Mr. Boomer can do the kind of work you need -- but he is not for hire. You should be able to get some suggestions here though.

You have probably thought this all through, but I cannot resist throwing in a few things to think about -- if you have not already.

I don't know if all Gardenias have a cathedral ceiling in the den, but if you do, you might want to think about if you would like for the drywall to follow the angle of the ceiling as the finished look. (I am assuming you are thinking of using the wall that backs up to the bathroom -- but maybe not.) Anyway, you will want someone who is particular about their drywall work so the closet will look like it has always been a part of the room.

You will need to decide if you want sliding doors, bi-fold doors, or French doors. French doors can come pre-hung. Also, discuss finish trim with the person you choose.

A closet is supposed to be a minimum depth of 24 inches for clothes. Rod height has a formula to it, too. If you do not need the closet for mostly hanging clothes, you could have shelves built along the sides in addition to the top shelves and leave a smaller space in the middle for hanging.

Please forgive me for going on and on. I love a good project. And I think your idea to make your Gardenia into a 3 bedroom is brilliant.

Boomer
Call it as you wish but TV calls the closetless bedroom a bedroom.

Sitting in it now as I took it for my office but when the world returns to normal we will also use it as a bedroom. If we had regular guests would add a closet of some sort but it can be used as a bedroom if one wishes.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliewaters View Post
Thank you very much
Julie
We also have a Gardenia. I think you had an option to have a closet in the third bedroom that would reduce the size of what I use as an office. Looking at what we have, I would assume where you would put a closet, opposite the window would make it necessary to move the air conditioning duct, as well as rebuild the sunken ceiling.

As someone else suggested using an armoire might be an idea-a solution.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Lots of bedrooms here do not have closet.

We are in a 3 bedroom Begonia and front bedroom is closetless.
From where I’m from, that floor plan should be called a 2 bedroom plus den. A bedroom should have a closet to be called a bedroom. Right???
Old 05-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts
Default They don't!

Quote:
Yes, it is a requirement legally, to have a closet for each bedroom. So no, she didn't buy a three bedroom if the third room with a bed doesn't have a closet. .

That's the difference between lay talk and legal talk. . .

lawyer guy
Old 05-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
From where I’m from, that floor plan should be called a 2 bedroom plus den. A bedroom should have a closet to be called a bedroom. Right???
The Villages Gardenia Floor Plan has it as a 2 bedroom and den.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Could well be but when we purchased our Begonia beginning of 2020 all of the literature called it a 3 bedroom.

Besides look at what the Villages sales dept is selling and calling it a 3 bedroom.
Closed Thread

Tags
model, closet, 3rd, bedroom, contractor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.