Any village too far?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Default Any village too far?

Just got back from a three day "freestyle" visit. Did all my traveling via automobile. My question is are there any villages or locations that are "too far" away for a golf cart from the things that make the villages what you guys like about the place? For example my impression of the newest lots available are a long golf cart ride to Lake Sumter and Brownwood town centers. And I think a long way from the Regional Rec center too. What about shopping locations?

What do you think? What about where you live? I'd like to put the truck in the garage and rarely use it. Thanks.

Phil Bailey
(airbear)
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

To me, anything north of Springdale and south of Hillsborough is pretty far via cart. However, all villages are doable with a gas cart. Just depends how much travel time you consider too long -- I can make it from Calumet Grove to Brownwood in about 45 minutes going slightly over the speed limit (around 21 mph) via cart.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM

That's why we are so happy to have purchased a pre owned home. We are right in the middle. Very convenient to everything we want.

Last edited by Doro22; 02-09-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We use our gas cart to go anywhere in the villages in most weather. I like to leave the car parked as much as possible. We enjoy the ride and in most cases find it easier to find a place to park. I guess golf cart usage is up to each individual's wants and needs.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
That's why few are so happy to have purchased a pre owned home. We are right in the middle. Very convenient to everything we want.
In the Villages no matter where you live, you are close to a rec center and golf courses. Shopping is located on the three main arteries, 441/27, 466 and 466A.

There is a brand new wonderful regional rec center being built right now in the newest part named for John Rohan, our recreation director for the last twenty years, and someone told me that the theme would be the history of The Villages. How cool is that???

Decide on the model you want and the view or lack of it and decide whether you want new or used. They both cost about the same.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Hmmm!...If it is a golf cart ride..

there are areas that would be a bit much, but you can always get in your car and rent a cart for golf. We enjoy our area, real close to big box stores, bowling, many many restaurants and golf courses that we enjoy, not to mention the greatest neighbors! I'm sure that many will say the same thing about their village also.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

I can get in my car and drive to Orlando in the same length of time it will take you to cart from the southern villages to Lopez. I don't consider Orlando to be part of my living community but rather a reachable location for special situations. Only you can decide how long a ride is too long.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I can get in my car and drive to Orlando in the same length of time it will take you to cart from the southern villages to Lopez. I don't consider Orlando to be part of my living community but rather a reachable location for special situations. Only you can decide how long a ride is too long.
???
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
In the Villages no matter where you live, you are close to a rec center and golf courses. Shopping is located on the three main arteries, 441/27, 466 and 466A.

There is a brand new wonderful regional rec center being built right now in the newest part named for John Rohan, our recreation director for the last twenty years, and someone told me that the theme would be the history of The Villages. How cool is that???

Decide on the model you want and the view or lack of it and decide whether you want new or used. They both cost about the same.
Oops! I edited my original post. I meant to say: "we". Not "few". Anyway it is all a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
???

I concur.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran member

You will enjoy the ride.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I have a 48 volt electric cart with Ranger batteries. We live in the Historic District. We can go from home to Brownwood in our cart, but it would take about 45 minutes or more.

The squares are all a bit different but do have some of the same stores and restaurants. The shopping around the squares is very similar. There is a Publix and a Winn Dixie a short distance from each of the squares.

Lake Sumter Landing is the most centrally located so it's a reasonable cart ride from the north or the south. We mostly go to Spanish Springs but if there is entertainment in LSL we'll take the cart there. If we want to go to Brownwood, we usually take the car unless we just want a long, leisurely cart ride.

The newest available lots are close to Brownwood. LSL is a reasonable cart ride, but Spanish Springs is probably a car ride for most people.

You'll find once you live here, you'll tend to do most of your shopping and activities in your area. If you live north, you'll mostly go to SS and occasionally LSL. If you live central, you'll find yourself most often in LSL but sometimes in the other two squares . If you live south, especially in the newest areas, you'll probably spend most of your time at Brownwood and sometimes LSL.

One of the things that surprised me is how far the built Brownwood from LSL. It's three miles from SS to LSL and about six miles from LSL to Brownwood. I am also curious as to why they built a square at the very edge of The Villages. It would seem to me that Brownwood it would have been better to locate Brownwood three miles south of LSL thereby giving people on both side a three mile or less trip to either square.

But, no matter where you live you are also fairly close to a square.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
Just got back from a three day "freestyle" visit. Did all my traveling via automobile. My question is are there any villages or locations that are "too far" away for a golf cart from the things that make the villages what you guys like about the place? For example my impression of the newest lots available are a long golf cart ride to Lake Sumter and Brownwood town centers. And I think a long way from the Regional Rec center too. What about shopping locations?

What do you think? What about where you live? I'd like to put the truck in the garage and rarely use it. Thanks.

Phil Bailey
(airbear)
Here is a rec center map.
http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...ges/RecMap.pdf
Shopping and dining map.
http://thevillages.com/lifestyle/shoppingdiningmap.asp
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Belvedere to Belle Glade took 45mins by electric cart. Was a beautiful ride through areas we hadn't seen before. Don't know exact mileage but would imagine it's about 12mls - one day we'll measure it. Still plenty of charge left.

Last edited by annaconner; 02-09-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Went from Brownwood to Spanish Springs gas cart 19.5 mph just under 45 minutes. Next trip will be from Brownwood to Mulberry Rec. and then back across the bridge to Paradise Park. Sort of my tribute to Charles Lindbergh.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.