Any village too far?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafoto View Post
BINGO!
Bought right in the middle, with shade and mature landscaping everywhere...you can keep the desert. Preowned...preloved!
We bought a pre-owned home in Mallory Square. We owned a Villa in Duval for five years before purchasing our current home and I really appreciate the closer proximity to the shops on 441. I can not imagine living south of 466A. Way too far and we don't even own a golf cart as yet.

As an aside....it was very important to me to have gas appliances. There are no natural gas lines south of 466A.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Everyone Thinks That They Live In The Best Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
Just got back from a three day "freestyle" visit. Did all my traveling via automobile. My question is are there any villages or locations that are "too far" away for a golf cart from the things that make the villages what you guys like about the place? For example my impression of the newest lots available are a long golf cart ride to Lake Sumter and Brownwood town centers. And I think a long way from the Regional Rec center too. What about shopping locations?

What do you think? What about where you live? I'd like to put the truck in the garage and rarely use it. Thanks.

Phil Bailey
(airbear)
The thing that's amazing about how our Developer has designed the community is that almost everyone believes that they live in the best location in The Villages.

That being said, I don't think you'll find many residents on the south end of TV taking their golf carts to the north end, either to the town squares or for golf. Trips that long simply aren't worth it. I'm guessing that if someone who lived on the south end near Brownwood wanted to play golf at Nancy Lopez, it would be at least an hourlong trip to get there. Between getting there and back home, plus the time it takes to play 18 holes, that would be an all day affair.

I live in Mallory and I don't hesitate to take my golf cart to Spanish Springs. But I've found it's way too far to take it to Brownwood. I can't imagine the 'Brownwood folks' using golf carts to get to Spanish Springs.

But all that's OK, because we all live in the 'best location in The Villages'.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Sage
Default Speaking from a vision of practicality here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I can get in my car and drive to Orlando in the same length of time it will take you to cart from the southern villages to Lopez. I don't consider Orlando to be part of my living community but rather a reachable location for special situations. Only you can decide how long a ride is too long.

Exactly the correct answer.

Original poster will have to decide for themselves what is a tolerable driving time (especially in the hotter more humid seasons, or the stormy rainy season) in golf cart vs. airconditioned automobile.

We found ourselves using our car all of the time as it was more comfortable, air conditioned, etc..........vs. the golf cart.

During the months of April, May, June, July, August, September, EVEN October..... an airconditioned car is the way to travel when grocery shopping, especially if you are stocking up for expected company. I can't even imagine "carting" the perishable groceries home. Perhaps for those who enjoy shopping on a daily basis, which we don't.

Another thought that comes to mind is a ferociously high powered thunder storm which sprung up one morning while we were out & about. An automobile is preferable in stormy weather......which can spring up without notice.

Just being practical........as well as comfortable.

The golf cart is fine for closer travels , in your own neighborhood, near your home, to the golf course, to the mailbox, but not from the top of THE VILLAGES to the bottom sections.....
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Original poster will have to decide for themselves what is a tolerable driving time (especially in the hotter more humid seasons, or the stormy rainy season) in golf cart vs. airconditioned automobile.

We found ourselves using our car all of the time as it was more comfortable, air conditioned, etc..........vs. the golf cart.

During the months of April, May, June, July, August, September, EVEN October..... an airconditioned car is the way to travel when grocery shopping, especially if you are stocking up for expected company. I can't even imagine "carting" the perishable groceries home. Perhaps for those who enjoy shopping on a daily basis, which we don't.

Another thought that comes to mind is a ferociously high powered thunder storm which sprung up one morning while we were out & about. An automobile is preferable in stormy weather......which can spring up without notice.

The golf cart is fine for closer travels , in your own neighborhood, near your home, to the golf course, to the mailbox, but not from the top of THE VILLAGES to the bottom sections.....
So true!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
....I can't imagine the 'Brownwood folks' using golf carts to get to Spanish Springs....
I know several people who have no problem going from the southern end to Spanish Springs or Lopez or the historical side in their cart.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Its real enjoyable to take a golf cart in the "hotter more humid seasons", it simply is not intolerable 24 hours a day.
The "stormy rainy season" some years can rain nearly every day, then again we had two years where the rainy season didn't happen. In either case checking the weather forecast can avoid getting wet. Rare event for a "ferociously high powered thunder storm" to just happen.
"The golf cart is fine for closer travels .................." this is a matter of personal choice as there are many Villagers that do travel from "top to bottom"
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We drove our golf cart from Lake Sumter to Brownwood last summer when it was in the 90's and humid, and we swore we'd never do it again. Just too hot! I personally would never drive my golf cart from Brownwood to Lopez if it took an hour each way. My time is precious. But I'm sure there are people who do - are they in the majority? Probably not. If you have access to a car you'd be taking the car if you could get there in half the time. And you'd stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. And travel an hour each way at night if you want to go watch your favorite band at the square? Nope.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 AM

We live in Santiago, just behind Savannah Center. The neighbors are super friendly - we have neighborhood gatherings and go to exercise classes together. We knew the neighbors were friendly before we moved in. We sent some friends over to take a look at the house before we bought and a bunch of them came over and introduced themselves. You could also knock on a few doors near the house you are considering buying and ask about the neighborhood. One of the negatives we heard about the older neighborhoods is that the homeowners would all be very old and not active. We have not found this to be true. In Santiago, there is a mix of ages from 50 something to 80 something, and my 85-year-old next door neighbor can run rings around me. As far as convenience goes, we can bike or cart to Spanish Springs or the shops on 466 in 10-15 minutes. We take the cart or the e-bikes (electric assist) to LSL frequently. We are close to most of the big box stores and Aldi, and can walk to Savannah Center for exercise or entertainment. Santiago was a good choice for us. Price was also a factor. We have a swimming pool. To get the house, the lot and the pool we have in a new section would have cost us $100,000 more.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Tee time was 8:48 AM at Lopez...I live in Hillsborough. Took the cart to Lopez, played 18 then went to Brownwood for lunch before returning home by 2:30...what a great ride. As other's have said, it is a personal preference, There are some that would rather take a car since they don't have the patience to stop and smell the roses or enjoy the social aspect that a cart brings. It's important that they get from point A to B as quickly as possible. But, that's The Villages, a mix of diverse lifestyles and personalities. You will figure it out...but it will take experience......and that is part of the enjoyment.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
We drove our golf cart from Lake Sumter to Brownwood last summer when it was in the 90's and humid, and we swore we'd never do it again. Just too hot! I personally would never drive my golf cart from Brownwood to Lopez if it took an hour each way. My time is precious. But I'm sure there are people who do - are they in the majority? Probably not. If you have access to a car you'd be taking the car if you could get there in half the time. And you'd stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. And travel an hour each way at night if you want to go watch your favorite band at the square? Nope.
To each his own.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Sage

Is The Villages bigger than this?
I did a print screen from google maps with their inserted borders. I added Spanish Springs [that I spelled incorrectly], Lake Sumter and Brownwood.
I'm not sure the northeast or southwest is correct.
The Villages Florida
Old 02-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Sage

Why not just click on Villages maps on the Navigaion list on here?
Shows all of TV.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why not just click on Villages maps on the Navigaion list on here?
Shows all of TV.
I took your advice. It looks like district 4 is missing. That is a little further north of the northeast border of the google map.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
...There are some that would rather take a car since they don't have the patience to stop and smell the roses or enjoy the social aspect that a cart brings. ...
Some people have a lot of social activities they pack into a day, and would rather spend the time with people, enjoying their activities, rather than riding in a golf cart which would mean they would miss out on certain activities. To each his own.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Some people have a lot of social activities they pack into a day, and would rather spend the time with people, enjoying their activities, rather than riding in a golf cart which would mean they would miss out on certain activities. To each his own.
I agree, but have met many people who don't do that.......but use it as an excuse. If you are involved in multiple daily activities then you are doing it the right way, a cart will slow you down.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.