Any village too far?

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Gracie, there is a line of high voltage, above-ground power lines that run north-south just east of the Sumter-Lake counties border.

Rickey, I don't think they will be disturbing to most people once the layout of the land becomes more obvious. This type of power lines already exists in other parts of TV. Of course, "disturbing" is a matter of personal opinion and choice.
I for one would never live under the line. Those high voltage towers have a magnetic field. Now that most use cable that runs underground for Tele and such I guess it doesn't matter as much as it use to but they are ugly. When I lived near some years ago I could hear the crackle and the interfered with broadcast signals, once was once two often never again.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Its real enjoyable to take a golf cart in the "hotter more humid seasons", it simply is not intolerable 24 hours a day.
The "stormy rainy season" some years can rain nearly every day, then again we had two years where the rainy season didn't happen. In either case checking the weather forecast can avoid getting wet. Rare event for a "ferociously high powered thunder storm" to just happen.
"The golf cart is fine for closer travels .................." this is a matter of personal choice as there are many Villagers that do travel from "top to bottom"
DH and I haven't purchased a golf cart as yet but plan to when hubby retires and we move here full time. We plan to have only one car and one golf cart and without a doubt....the cart will be my means of transportation when we both need a vehicle to go somewhere.

My main concern is how comfortable it is while riding in a golf cart during the hot and humid months. I'm all about air conditioning and worry that I won't enjoy myself in the cart. Also worried I will arrive at my destination all sweaty and feeling grubby.

Bogie....why do you say it is real enjoyable to take the cart in the hot and humid weather? Is there something I'm missing? Is there such a thing as air conditioning for a golf cart? I can brave the cold more than I can stand the heat.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage

Keep your options open. Rent before you buy. Some people spend 20k on a cart.

I can only tell you what works for me.

I have a leased smart car and an e-bike. I'm happy to walk the execs and rent a cart at the championship courses for $5 a nine. I can cruise at 19 mph using peddle assist on the e-bike, feel the breeze, feel safe, use any road and park it anywhere. Just getting there is another activity. And I have a 25 mile range. I tow a pull cart too.

I'm always comfortable in the car and like to listen to NPR on the way to someplace in the villages.

If I need to go to the airport I take the van pick-up.

If I need to go outside the bubble, I won't drive further than Ocala if I can't carpool.

When people visit me I can't pick them up at the airport.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

Bogie....why do you say it is real enjoyable to take the cart in the hot and humid weather? Is there something I'm missing? Is there such a thing as air conditioning for a golf cart? I can brave the cold more than I can stand the heat.
I'm not Bogie but the best part about taking the cart in the hot summer is after leaving a store. Getting in your automobile after setting there for 15 minutes or more is like opening your oven to check the thanksgiving turkey.
The cart will not overwhelm you with heat from a closed up steel box.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'm not Bogie but the best part about taking the cart in the hot summer is after leaving a store. Getting in your automobile after setting there for 15 minutes or more is like opening your oven to check the thanksgiving turkey.
unless you leave your windows open
than its just like a golf cart---except it's harder to steal because the key is unique
Old 02-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
I can see the advantage in not having to enter a hot car. I have remote start installed on my car in NJ, however. Remote start it up in the hot weather to cool it down and remote start it in the cold weather to warm it up. For me, getting into a warm toasty car in the frigid cold is worth every penny spent on the remote start feature.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
than its just like a golf cart---except it's harder to steal because the key is unique
Any veteran Floridian will know better than to leave your windows down in the summer unless you want to find you're car is a swimming pool when you return. Rain won't hurt a golf cart as it is designed to get wet, but the interior of you're car isn't. You could take your chances, but I've seen too many people at work leave their windows down and have to go tell them that it is pouring outside and your windows are down.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Any veteran Floridian will know better than to leave your windows down in the summer unless you want to find you're car is a swimming pool when you return. Rain won't hurt a golf cart as it is designed to get wet, but the interior of you're car isn't. You could take your chances, but I've seen too many people at work leave their windows down and have to go tell them that it is pouring outside and your windows are down.
That is great advice. I forgot.

I never leave my windows down but I thought it might be an option. I don't care if the car is hot, I can open the doors and wait for the AC to kick in.

One time my windshield was covered over with ice. I was late for work. I had this bright idea that I would just dump a bucket of hot water over it instead of waiting for the defrosters to do it's job.
Honest to God I had the hot water bucket in my hands swung the bucket back and yelled "Nooooooooooooo" before I threw it on the window and just held on to it.

That's a little how I feel right now.

All of the zipping, unzipping, rolling up. rolling down, unsnapping, snapping, wiping down wet seats is just not for me.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Is The Villages bigger than this?
I did a print screen from google maps with their inserted borders. I added Spanish Springs [that I spelled incorrectly], Lake Sumter and Brownwood.
I'm not sure the northeast or southwest is correct.
The Villages Florida
you left off the upper section and the southern sections...TV is much larger than your map
Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
you left off the upper section and the southern sections...TV is much larger than your map
thank-you
i got help with the north.
please help me with the south.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Aren't the keys unique for golf carts too? How easy is it to steal a golf cart vs a car?o

Sorry to the OP for getting this thread off topic.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
That is great advice. I forgot.

I never leave my windows down but I thought it might be an option. I don't care if the car is hot, I can open the doors and wait for the AC to kick in.

One time my windshield was covered over with ice. I was late for work. I had this bright idea that I would just dump a bucket of hot water over it instead of waiting for the defrosters to do it's job.
Honest to God I had the hot water bucket in my hands swung the bucket back and yelled "Nooooooooooooo" before I threw it on the window and just held on to it.

That's a little how I feel right now.

All of the zipping, unzipping, rolling up. rolling down, unsnapping, snapping, wiping down wet seats is just not for me.
This is exactly what I'm fearful of. Having to deal with rain and such with the zipping and unzipping as you said. My sister and her husband only travel by golf cart for EVERYTHING they do within the confines of our community. The only time they use their car is when they leave The Villages. I'm not sure that is for me but I'm going to try it.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Aren't the keys unique for golf carts too? How easy is it to steal a golf cart vs a car?
I think a unique key is part of an upgrade package, so not everyone may have one and I have to believe stealing a golf cart is way easier!!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I agree, but have met many people who don't do that.......but use it as an excuse. If you are involved in multiple daily activities then you are doing it the right way, a cart will slow you down.
Let's see just this past Monday I played softball in the morning over at Rolling acres road.Used my cart to get there.Played 18 up at Glenview in the late morning to early afternoon.Then I played pickle ball over at Fish Hawk until dark. I used my cart all day and wasn't slowed down at all.By the way I live in Gilchrist. Using a car to save time sounds more like an excuse to not use your cart.Slow down & enjoy!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
DH and I haven't purchased a golf cart as yet but plan to when hubby retires and we move here full time. We plan to have only one car and one golf cart and without a doubt....the cart will be my means of transportation when we both need a vehicle to go somewhere.

My main concern is how comfortable it is while riding in a golf cart during the hot and humid months. I'm all about air conditioning and worry that I won't enjoy myself in the cart. Also worried I will arrive at my destination all sweaty and feeling grubby.

First off, I think you are over thinking this issue. You have to experience it all first hand. You will get different opinions about the heat, kinda like different opinions about a given restaurant.
Taking the cart to the golf course in the early morning is just a pleasant experience for me. The late afternoon or evenng is the same. I like to be out in mid day playing golf or mowing my lawn.....that's just me- not for everybody.
The air conditiner on my cart is on when I lower the windshield.
Yes, you can get a fan for your cart to help keep you cool.
I repeat............don't over think what you anticipate to be a problem.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.