Any village too far?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts

My guess is they built Brownwood down on State route 44 to take advantage of the commercial possibilities. What Village to buy in? To me it all depends on what your interests and hobbies are. For example, if you are a golfer and golf 3 or 4 times a week you want to consider locating accordingly. If you like the activities offered at the Regional Centers, closer to a Regional Center makes sense. If dancing and eating along with shopping---then close to a Square might appeal to you. Well, you get my point.

Overall, as I look at The Villages, there is "something" for everyone and a home "priced" for just about everyone that can afford to retire. Bottom line---you can get to any of the activities offered in The Villages by golf cart---just might take you a bit longer from one property location than another.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
....One of the things that surprised me is how far the built Brownwood from LSL. It's three miles from SS to LSL and about six miles from LSL to Brownwood. I am also curious as to why they built a square at the very edge of The Villages. It would seem to me that Brownwood it would have been better to locate Brownwood three miles south of LSL thereby giving people on both side a three mile or less trip to either square.
I think they put Brownwood where they did to draw more locals.

We are south of 466A, off Pinellas. When we go up to Lopez or Spanish Springs we take the car.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
That's why we are so happy to have purchased a pre owned home. We are right in the middle. Very convenient to everything we want.
BINGO!
Bought right in the middle, with shade and mature landscaping everywhere...you can keep the desert. Preowned...preloved!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

my wife and I decided anything north of 466 along buena vista was too far. Very few swimming pools, a handful of executive courses and long cart drives to any of the town centers. That was just our opinion however. Many folks love those areas.

We are south of 466a (Dunedin) and love it. Brownwood is a short cart ride away and Lake Sumter is about 20 minutes away via cart (if we go to SS we go by car). We have pools out of the ying yang, two regional (soon to be three) centers + multiple village centers a few within minutes drive, we are very close to 15 executive courses with 4 more on the way, and there are four championship courses within 10 minutes. Being in a new neighborhood has benefits too. Because we are new we have a very active social group since most folks are looking to make connections.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Platinum member

We live in Gilchrist just south of 466A.
We take the car when we go to SS or 441 for the
Stores.
Going to LSL isn't that far and we are 3 miles from Brownwood.
You will find most people in this section have gas golf carts.
What was more important to us was getting a certain model
and that house only existed where we bought.

A anywhere you decide to live in T.V. will be good.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We use our gas cart to go anywhere in the villages in most weather. I like to leave the car parked as much as possible. We enjoy the ride and in most cases find it easier to find a place to park. I guess golf cart usage is up to each individual's wants and needs.
We live south of 466A, less than 10 minutes from Brownwood. We use our electric carts to go everywhere. I have a morning tee time at Lopez on Wednesday and the ride in the cart will be about an hour. As a previous poster stated, it is a matter of personal preference. We prefer carts because we get to enjoy the ponds, plants, people and other sights and sounds that you miss when using a car. There are a lot of people here that are always in a hurry so they take cars when the ride is outside their local area. I don't think you will ever know how far is too far until you jump in the cart and go find out.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Sage

Now that I've been here for about 2 years I had to rethink things.

I live close to Brownwood but rarely go to any of the squares. [I was warned this would happen.]
I bought here for resale value being close to a square.
I rented a golf cart for 2 months and did not like driving it any more than 15 minutes. I don't own a cart. I bike.
I love my smart car and walk all the execs. My car is cool in the summer and warm in the winter and I'll drive anywhere to play the execs but not the turnpikes.

All the cool places are up north. The woodshop, archery, bowling, air guns, croquet, aldi's, fresh market, softball [ i don't play, polo i don't watch, shows and plays i don't attend] and some more I can't think of.

There is hardly any traffic this far south. That's good.
Biking is great down here too.

I wonder what will happen when the newest area is built out. All those homes and not many more golf courses.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

One aspect to consider is what activities you will be participating in. I play softball and participate in track and field. Both activities are near the high school. I have friends in both sports who live south of 466a and wish they didn't because they end up taking the car. When you have to be at there early in the morning, it's a pain to leave before daylight for a 45 minute ride.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:55 PM

We are not ready to make the move to TV but I am a consummate planner, so with my interests being the swim team, life long learning courses, and being able to easily attend frequent services at the RC Church, and hubby enjoys woodworking what villages would allow not too long cart rides to these activities ? Also, after looking at a gazillion floor plans I pretty much have my heart set on the older model Anna Maria villa with the kitchen breakfast nook so I guess most are located further north than south ?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM

We like to take our car most places. We live in Sanibel. Just our preference. Our friends use their golf cart to go everywhere.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
Just got back from a three day "freestyle" visit. Did all my traveling via automobile. My question is are there any villages or locations that are "too far" away for a golf cart from the things that make the villages what you guys like about the place? For example my impression of the newest lots available are a long golf cart ride to Lake Sumter and Brownwood town centers. And I think a long way from the Regional Rec center too. What about shopping locations?

What do you think? What about where you live? I'd like to put the truck in the garage and rarely use it. Thanks.

Phil Bailey
(airbear)
Hope you have a small truck, my F150 wouldn't fit unless I turned it crossways.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Lynnhaven is perfect. 4 minute cart ride to family pools Pimlico and Churchill Downs. 2 minute cart ride to adult pools Belvedere and lynnhaven and ashland. 6 minutes by cart to lake Sumter Landing and 14 minutes to Spanish springs. 4 minute cart ride to Publix. 7 minutes to Walmart or steak and shake. Perfect location for me!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 PM

I would do research on the village based on it being friendly ~ I think it's easy to get around in a golf cart...even if it takes 45 minutes. The places that are 45 min away aren't places we would go to on a daily routine & if we did we're not in a hurry!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
I would do research on the village based on it being friendly ~ I think it's easy to get around in a golf cart...even if it takes 45 minutes. The places that are 45 min away aren't places we would go to on a daily routine & if we did we're not in a hurry!
How would you do research on the village based on it being friendly?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
That's why we are so happy to have purchased a pre owned home. We are right in the middle. Very convenient to everything we want.
A mid-Villages location - convenient to everything!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.