Anyone added another outdoor hose connection?

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Anyone added another outdoor hose connection?

We have a 2/2 Colony and the hose connection is on the garage wall by the front door. It’s a PITA dragging a hose (50+ feet) around the lanai on the side over to the patio when I need it then rolling it back up even with the battery powered electric hose reel since it goes through shrubs.

Our Master Bath is against the patio wall. Was thinking I could tap into the water line that goes to the toilet which is probably a 3’ straighten run to the outside right over the patio. Seems (relatively) simple. Would have to cut a chunk of wallboard from behind the toilet and push pipe out the wall then replace the wallboard. LOL sounds simple.

Anyone ever done this or similar or had it done? Current hose location is great if you want to wash a car but not much else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We have a 2/2 Colony and the hose connection is on the garage wall by the front door. It’s a PITA dragging a hose (50+ feet) around the lanai on the side over to the patio when I need it then rolling it back up even with the battery powered electric hose reel since it goes through shrubs.

Our Master Bath is against the patio wall. Was thinking I could tap into the water line that goes to the toilet which is probably a 3’ straighten run to the outside right over the patio. Seems (relatively) simple. Would have to cut a chunk of wallboard from behind the toilet and push pipe out the wall then replace the wallboard. LOL sounds simple.

Anyone ever done this or similar or had it done? Current hose location is great if you want to wash a car but not much else.

Yes. We added three more in the birdcage and I just enjoyed myself washing out all of the organisms that build up in the cracks of the concrete. Nothing pleases a sixties housewife more to chase dirt and find it. It satisfies inner needs as well as practical ones. lol
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Default Anyone added another outdoor hose connection?

3! You must have one heck of a big bird! Bald Eagle or maybe a large prehistoric pigeon? Who cleans the cage?

Old 08-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:

You can probably do this, IMHO, be sure to use a good quality metal hose bib, and add the reverse flow valve (required by law, I believe). Make sure the hose bib is securely attached to the house and not being supported by the plastic pipe, one good hard twist or pull on the hose and you could have a flood.
Several neighbors just used a Y adapter, buried water pipe outside the house to the new location, and installed a suitable hose bib. This works well if you have grass or garden the whole way , but not if you have to cross walkway or drive way.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:

It seems strange that you only have one hose bibb. The two bedroom courtyard villas have a hose bibb next to the garage and also one in the back yard near the screened lanai. I thought it was standard to have at least two hose bibbs.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It seems strange that you only have one hose bibb. The two bedroom courtyard villas have a hose bibb next to the garage and also one in the back yard near the screened lanai. I thought it was standard to have at least two hose bibbs.
My 2/2 CYV has 3 hose bibs...... a 2/2 Colony is a Patio Villa and I don't know about them.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage

We added one on the inside of our garage, close to the door really handy for washing the front of the cars during love bug season--this way we don't have to drag a hose around shrubs
Old 08-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:

It's not a CYV, it's a Colony (actually called "About Time"). All homes here have only one that I have looked at and some have on side (but not lanai/patio Side) and a couple like mine. Definitely weird. Ours is directly next to main water shutoff in garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Several neighbors just used a Y adapter, buried water pipe outside the house to the new location, and installed a suitable hose bib. This works well if you have grass or garden the whole way , but not if you have to cross walkway or drive way.

Would need about 75 feet of pipe and dynamite for 15 ft of sidewalk.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
I had a colony patio villa and it only had one hose connection outside next to the garage just like the OP.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You can probably do this, IMHO, be sure to use a good quality metal hose bib, and add the reverse flow valve (required by law, I believe). Make sure the hose bib is securely attached to the house and not being supported by the plastic pipe, one good hard twist or pull on the hose and you could have a flood.
Agree with the above post, very doable DIY project. I would add that this is a great plumbing project to use a pex water line extension to your existing plumbing. You will need a pex tubing crimping tool and some crimping clamps, a short piece of pex tubing, and a T shaped shark bite plumbing connector.

Once gaining access to your existing water line, cut the copper pipe and add the appropriate size shark bite T shaped plumbing connector. You this will re-establish your existing cold water line and you can put a piece of pex tubing on the other portion of the T shaped shark bite, no sweating of pipes necessary. You can then crimp the other end of the pex tubing onto the hose bib and attach it securely to your home. Again, no pipe sweating necessary. All parts are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at Lowel's or The Home Depot. And an added benefit is that you will now have the crimping tool for future projects.

If I was currently at the Villages and not at our home up North, I would be happy to bring over my crimping tool and help you out. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Agree with the above post, very doable DIY project. I would add that this is a great plumbing project to use a pex water line extension to your existing plumbing. You will need a pex tubing crimping tool and some crimping clamps, a short piece of pex tubing, and a T shaped shark bite plumbing connector.

Once gaining access to your existing water line, cut the copper pipe and add the appropriate size shark bite T shaped plumbing connector. You this will re-establish your existing cold water line and you can put a piece of pex tubing on the other portion of the T shaped shark bite, no sweating of pipes necessary. You can then crimp the other end of the pex tubing onto the hose bib and attach it securely to your home. Again, no pipe sweating necessary. All parts are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at Lowel's or The Home Depot. And an added benefit is that you will now have the crimping tool for future projects.

If I was currently at the Villages and not at our home up North, I would be happy to bring over my crimping tool and help you out. Good luck.
Copper pipe? I thought it was all plastic here! Main water line in garage is. When I left NJ I got rid of all my tools I used for the copper plumbing stuff I did in our 65yr old home.

In my mind the toughest part (if it is plastic) would be replacing the removed wallboard behind the toilet to get access to the pipes (probably have to remove at least the toilet tank). I have all the stuff for pvc/cpvc.

Thank you for your offer though, it is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Our Villa has the 2, one outside the fence next to the garage and one inside the fence next to the lanai. It sounds like and easy job but if you are not sure, hire a plumber to do it for you, probably take an hour tops.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage

It's all CPVC plumbing, so no copper except right on the water heater.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
It's all CPVC plumbing, so no copper except right on the water heater.

That's what I thought. Thanks. Should be a relatively easy DIY then.

Closed Thread

Tags
hose, patio, wall, wallboard, simple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.