Anyone have an Anchor model cottage home?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts
Default Anyone have an Anchor model cottage home?

For those of you who have the Anchor model cottage home -

With the great prices in the new cottage section south of 466A, my husband and I were looking into the possibility of purchasing the Anchor model. We like almost everything about the layout, except for the dining room area. It looks like such a small area. To put anything other than a small round table seems like it would overpower the area and impinge on the entry way to the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. Anyone who has an Anchor (or not, but has a designer's eye) care to comment on the pluses and minuses and/or how you utilized the living and dining areas? Is it possible to switch them around somehow and it all still works?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

A friend has an Anchor and switched the living and dining areas. I believe all it took were some electrical changes.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Default Anyone have an Anchor?

I just looked at the floor plan. Switching the two areas seems like an excellent idea.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Gold member

we kind of liked that model as well. the family room dining room kind of struck us funny as well. The big problem we had with that model was the kitchen was so dark with only the small window over the sink.

Plus the slider is the only light coming into the living/dining room area and it seems so dark in there. even when its high noon, its still seems dark, no natural light....I hate that.....

something else to think about, anyway....
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 PM

A couple of solar tubes would fix the lack of light problem.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
A couple of solar tubes would fix the lack of light problem.
you know we thought about that, because we really liked the bedrooms in the front of the house.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Sage

Thanks to all that have responded so far. Great food for thought. Natural lighting was one thing I hadn't thought about and that is something we both really enjoy. As was mentioned though, solar tubes could maybe solve that problem. The lanai on the Anchor is a really nice size, however I did notice it is rather closed in, again not allowing as much light as others. Good to know the LR/DR flip would work however.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 PM

I have the first custom built Anchor in The Villages. I added two feet to both the front and rear of the house which made the bedrooms quite large and the lanai a nice size. My only disappointment is that my lot wasn't big enough to add the extra four feet to the garage which I wanted rather than a golf cart garage. I immediately switched the dining and living areas and put the tv on the back side of the front bedroom wall. I put engineered hardwood (after market) in the living, dining, kitchen and front bedroom that I use for my office and I love that! To help with the light issue I added a storm door on the front door and I have the front door open when I am home. I added a solar tube in the living area and one in the master bath which helps greatly. I also changed out the kitchen recessed lights to LED bulbs so I can leave them on without feeling guilty about using so much electricity to light that area. Don't be concerned about the lanai having one end enclosed. Mine faces South and I appreciate the wall which keeps out the hot late afternoon sun off the lanai in the summer. A little privacy can be nice too and it provides a place for my outdoor tv cabinet. My main goal was to not have to walk past the laundry area when coming in thru the garage and the Anchor was the only cottage with an inside laundry that had that option. I put a cat door on the door that leads from the laundry area to the lanai and that worked perfect for my kitty to get to the lanai whenever he wanted. I love my home and I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose an Anchor.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM

We don't have that model, but have 8 solar tubes installed by The Solar Guys and love the light, even brightens up cloudy days. We initially had 6 installed in the bath rooms, and living room, then last year added one to the laundry room and the separate toilet room in the master bath. You can get the regular plastic fixture at the ceiling or several different glass ones to match your décor. Chris does a great job, nearly 3 years no leaks.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM

I agree about all of the observations of the previous posters. We sold our Anchor just a couple of months ago and had made the changes described. I think switching the LR/DR cost about $200 for electrical & plastering. We added a solar tube in the kitchen and installed a glass insert in the front door, both of which made a huge difference in lighting. We also added a pocket door to BR2 and the guest bath for privacy of visitors; that was $355. The Anchor is not the largest cottage, but it had great features such as large lanai, large MBR closet, spacious indoor laundry, and room enough in the garage for a car, cart, storage and a workbench. I'm sure you will love this model.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonze View Post
I agree about all of the observations of the previous posters. We sold our Anchor just a couple of months ago and had made the changes described. I think switching the LR/DR cost about $200 for electrical & plastering. We added a solar tube in the kitchen and installed a glass insert in the front door, both of which made a huge difference in lighting. We also added a pocket door to BR2 and the guest bath for privacy of visitors; that was $355. The Anchor is not the largest cottage, but it had great features such as large lanai, large MBR closet, spacious indoor laundry, and room enough in the garage for a car, cart, storage and a workbench. I'm sure you will love this model.
Thank you for sharing this info. Very helpful!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
We don't have that model, but have 8 solar tubes installed by The Solar Guys and love the light, even brightens up cloudy days. We initially had 6 installed in the bath rooms, and living room, then last year added one to the laundry room and the separate toilet room in the master bath. You can get the regular plastic fixture at the ceiling or several different glass ones to match your décor. Chris does a great job, nearly 3 years no leaks.
Thanks, Dancing Queen. Those solar tubes really are great! Glad to hear that you have had no problems. I've seen The Solar Guys mentioned before on this forum with accolades. Have them on my short list to call.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.