Anyone have experience installing gas in house

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Default Anyone have experience installing gas in house

Just bought a house that does not have gas. I do not like cooking on electric stoves. So, I want to see if I can have gas installed.

I was told that I can get gas company to install a tank, but have not gotten through to them yet.

Anyone have experience installing gas in house? House is in Hacienda South in Sumter County.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Be very mindful of all that is going on when you install LP or "bottled gas" in your home. To start with the tank has to be buried. When the line is run from the tank to the house that line should be pressure tested. One of the properties of bottled gas is that it is heavier than air and should it escape in close spaces it will collect at floor level. You want to make sure with a pressure test that the line is leak free. When you get your new gas appliance make sure the regulator (on the appliance) is designed for bottled gas (as compared to natural gas). And, using bottled gas in cooking... it generally creates a hotter flame as compared to natural gas. Very easy to unintentionly burn food.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:43 AM

We installed a 250 gal propane tank last year. The company got all the permits and buried the tank, and hooked it up to the new stove top. We bought the stove top on line. We also hooked up our summer kitchen grill. All this was done in a day and a half. The total cost for everything including the propane was $3500 plus the stove top of $1000. (If you have a combo stove and oven that will cost you about $600 vs $1000 for the stove top alone.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I'm with you on gas cooking but maybe research the newest in electric cooking that is more easily controlled and save the cost of putting in a tank, etc.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, ask questions about the routing of the gas line(s) if your kitchen does not have an outside wall, the installers typically run the line(s) in the attic. There were reports a few years ago about fires due to problems with the flexible gas lines in the attic, so be sure the newest materials are used and installed per code. I would have an independent inspector double check.

I will propose an alternative, you might want to look into induction cooking. You need special cookware, but it is supposed to closely mimic gas cooking.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Sage

Gas vs electric--gas is great for stove top cooking--electric is great for oven use--notice if you manage to view all the cooking shows on cable, when was the last time you saw a chef using electric?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Default No gas

We don't like electric ranges either. Bought an Electrolux induction range. As Villagetinker says, you do have to use cookware that has a steel core. Aluminum cookware will not work. Despite the cost of the range which was fairly expensive,, and new cookware, it is still much cheaper than installing propane. Operating characteristics much like a gas range. We are extremely pleased with it.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&VofWV View Post
We don't like electric ranges either. Bought an Electrolux induction range. As Villagetinker says, you do have to use cookware that has a steel core. Aluminum cookware will not work. Despite the cost of the range which was fairly expensive,, and new cookware, it is still much cheaper than installing propane. Operating characteristics much like a gas range. We are extremely pleased with it.
They sell a lot of aluminum cookware with a flat steel bottom that is compatible with an induction range.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
They sell a lot of aluminum cookware with a flat steel bottom that is compatible with an induction range.
They have to be magnetic to work properly.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Pots and pans are not magnetic. They must have a ferrous core or ferrous plate attached to the bottom of the item to work. Magnets will be attracted to ferrous metal, but the pan or pot its self is not magnetic!!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I also purchased an Induction range ~ mine is a Samsung. Two years in, works like charm.

Another plus ~ Induction heats the pan, not the air. A good thing in Florida!

I have cooked with natural gas and propane. The Induction is very similar and my range is intuitive. Zero learning curve.

ETA: My range cost @ $3,000.00, with no additional wiring or changes to the kitchen.

Last edited by bluedivergirl; 09-14-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 09-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Pots and pans are not magnetic. They must have a ferrous core or ferrous plate attached to the bottom of the item to work. Magnets will be attracted to ferrous metal, but the pan or pot its self is not magnetic!!
I just know that, if you like aluminum cookware, they sell it with a steel flat bottom and the manufacturer claims that it is compatible with induction ranges.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Default Back to the Original Question

We have had a propane in ground (PIG) for eight plus years for our stove, outdoor grill and smoker. Also, did the same process at our home in Virginia. Don't remember the installation cost here but Suburban took care of everything and we are on a budget bill of $25 per month.

A previous poster was correct that most stoves come configured for natural gas but most also either have the parts required for conversion included or available for purchase at a reasonable. We are on our second stove because we recently upgraded to SS but I converted and installed both stoves which is a rather simple process.

While this may not be all inclusive it is usually only three steps. 1. Convert the pressure regulator which usually involves re3moving a screw-on cap, turning a spacer over and replacing the cap. 2. Replacing the screw in jets on each burner and the oven with the propane jets. 3. Connect to the supply line and check for leaks using soapy water. Burners may require some adjustment for flame height but that also is a simple process.

Full disclosure, I am not a certified plumber but have worked for a natural gas company and converted appliance the other direction from propane to natural gas in that job.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Gas company will not install UNLESS there is already gas in the area. If you can get through to TECO via its phone tree, they will refer you to a propane company.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

We didn’t like electric range at first but got use to it now and like it just fine. Would not change for any price.

Tags
gas, house, experience, installing, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.