Anyone have experience installing gas in house

Anyone have experience installing gas in house

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&VofWV View Post
We don't like electric ranges either. Bought an Electrolux induction range. As Villagetinker says, you do have to use cookware that has a steel core. Aluminum cookware will not work. Despite the cost of the range which was fairly expensive,, and new cookware, it is still much cheaper than installing propane. Operating characteristics much like a gas range. We are extremely pleased with it.
I also purchased an Induction range ~ mine is a Samsung. Two years in, works like charm.

Another plus ~ Induction heats the pan, not the air. A good thing in Florida!

I have cooked with natural gas and propane. The Induction is very similar and my range is intuitive. Zero learning curve.

ETA: My range cost @ $3,000.00, with no additional wiring or changes to the kitchen.

Last edited by bluedivergirl; 09-14-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: ETA

Old 09-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&VofWV View Post
Pots and pans are not magnetic. They must have a ferrous core or ferrous plate attached to the bottom of the item to work. Magnets will be attracted to ferrous metal, but the pan or pot its self is not magnetic!!
I just know that, if you like aluminum cookware, they sell it with a steel flat bottom and the manufacturer claims that it is compatible with induction ranges.
Sponsored Links
Back to the Original Question
Old 09-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Back to the Original Question

We have had a propane in ground (PIG) for eight plus years for our stove, outdoor grill and smoker. Also, did the same process at our home in Virginia. Don't remember the installation cost here but Suburban took care of everything and we are on a budget bill of $25 per month.

A previous poster was correct that most stoves come configured for natural gas but most also either have the parts required for conversion included or available for purchase at a reasonable. We are on our second stove because we recently upgraded to SS but I converted and installed both stoves which is a rather simple process.

While this may not be all inclusive it is usually only three steps. 1. Convert the pressure regulator which usually involves re3moving a screw-on cap, turning a spacer over and replacing the cap. 2. Replacing the screw in jets on each burner and the oven with the propane jets. 3. Connect to the supply line and check for leaks using soapy water. Burners may require some adjustment for flame height but that also is a simple process.

Full disclosure, I am not a certified plumber but have worked for a natural gas company and converted appliance the other direction from propane to natural gas in that job.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Gas company will not install UNLESS there is already gas in the area. If you can get through to TECO via its phone tree, they will refer you to a propane company.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

We didn’t like electric range at first but got use to it now and like it just fine. Would not change for any price.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Electric is inferior to gas. When we bought our lot in Pine Ridge, there was no natural gas supplier for the area. No problem, we installed an in ground LP tank with no hassles. Our home on Maui used the same set up (LP) for 11 years with no issues. My TOTAL cost for gas here after 3 years for LP is less than $300 (feeds the cook top and summer kitchen). I get the heat I want when I want and the cool down I need at the moment I need. Can use any cookware I prefer. Easy peezey.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Gas vs electric cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We didn’t like electric range at first but got use to it now and like it just fine. Would not change for any price.
Our previous home was gas cooking. We had a natural gas line. A colder climate than Florida and we had converted from oil heat to gas heat.

Here we do not have a gas line. I am aware of two neighbors with buried LP gas tanks.

I do fine that electric cooking is more subject to burning. Our system at all settings it does not lower the heat just the time that it is on. Low heat is on then off, then on again. Solution is
heavy quality pans. Also, you can buy a pad kind of thing to put your pots on top of. I made my own by cutting the bottom off an old copper fry pan. It needs to fit the pot you are using.
????? You might need several different sizes. You want thick copper so will likely need to buy an antique fry pan. It works just fine.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 AM

Most all of the higher quality stainless IS induction capable, and if you use cast iron enamel it is perfect. Many of the cheaper aluminum pans are coming out with an induction capable bottom if you prefer them. I have been using induction for over a year and it is fantastic, very fast, clean, and safe. The stove top is not hot when you turn it off and it cleans easy as the top is a glass material. Very popular in Europe where gas is not prevalent. Absolutely the best choice IMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgilcreast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 04:10 PM

250 gallons seems like alot! Why so big?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:12 PM

I am frequently chastising my peers who are so stuck in the past that they won't consider other options.

In this case, I am truly stuck in the past. I LOVE COOKING WITH GAS.

Now working with a propane company to see if I can get my way.

Stay tuned.

Tags
gas, house, experience, installing, company