Anyone Have Thoughts On Garage Floor Coverings?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Anyone Have Thoughts On Garage Floor Coverings?

"Up north" I had my garage floor sealed with a clear, industrial sealant that seemed to protect it from snow, salt, ice and tire wear pretty well. But in that case, I had the sealant applied within hours after the concrete floor had been poured and set up. And it was a product used to coat factory floors, one that I haven't seen since I moved to TV.

My garage floor in TV has now been unsealed and used for almost a year. Almost all of the "paint" type sealants I've researched require that the floor be acid-etched before application of the product. And even then, every one will have to be re-applied every 2-3 years. My neighbors who had epoxy products applied to their garage floors are confirming the limited durability of such floors. And the acid-etching requirement is "out" as far as I'm concerned because it would damage the pavers I have installed on the driveway just outside the garage door.

But what about some of the plastic tile type products? A product called RaceDeck is available from a couple of flooring suppliers in TV. It's pricey, but looks good and doesn't seem to have a durability issue.

Does anyone have any comments on RaceDeck or the contractor who installed it? Are there any similar, comparable products that should be considered?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Anyone Have Thoughts On Garage Floor Coverings?

I put down an epoxy like floor with a kit I got at Home Depot. It went on easy, looks great, and has remained durable....it looks like the day I completed it after almost two years. Cleanup is easy. I really recommend it. I did my two car and one golf cart garage for about $125.00.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig
I put down an epoxy like floor with a kit I got at Home Depot. It went on easy, looks great, and has remained durable....it looks like the day I completed it after almost two years. Cleanup is easy. I really recommend it. I did my two car and one golf cart garage for about $125.00.
I need to hear more about this stuff. What does it look like. Is it that really neat looking floor with the speckles in it like those custom garages have? I really want to do something with mine. I have even thought about those interlocking plastic squares or rubber, coin design flooring.

Could you post a picture of it please?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Our friends did theirs with the product from Home Depot and it has the speckled look, looks nice and after a couple years still looks good.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 AM

I also used a kit on my garage floor from Lowe's looks great and very tough, preparation is the key read the directions carefully.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Platinum member

Hey V. K.

Maybe this will give you some insight

Steve :bigthumbsup:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=flooring
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

I did my garage floor a couple months ago with the epoxy covering from Lowe's. It was much easier than I thought and looks great with the speckles. My next door neighbor saw it and immediaely went out and bought the kit and we did his. My neighbor down the street had his done professionally, doesn't like as sharp as ours, and he spent $750. We spent under $120.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:49 PM

We went with the 55 mil ribbed rubber flooring. It is more expensive than painting but very easy to lay down. We ordered it from Lowe's. They do have samples to show the colors and different mils available. We have a two car garage and it cost close to $700.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 PM

Oh, so common.
I believe the answer is what I have done. Prior to moving in, when the garage floor was completely bare, from side to side, I rolled out thin indoor-outdoor carpeting. I cut it exactly to the ends, and it is excellent. Once a month or so, I vacuum it (since the vacuum is in the garage anyway), and it looks great. Haven't had a problem, and if you saw it (and you're welcome to), you'd agree.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhippee
Oh, so common.
I believe the answer is what I have done. Prior to moving in, when the garage floor was completely bare, from side to side, I rolled out thin indoor-outdoor carpeting. I cut it exactly to the ends, and it is excellent. Once a month or so, I vacuum it (since the vacuum is in the garage anyway), and it looks great. Haven't had a problem, and if you saw it (and you're welcome to), you'd agree.
I am concerned about usual vehicle fluid droppings. My electric golf cart seems to stain the floor with battery liquid. Neither the car or motorcycle have dripping problems (I have a Goldwing and not a Harley ;D) but the golf cart does make a mess. Would it affect the carpet to a point that the vacuum would not clean it.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

You can come see ours if you want. Just contact me on the email that's in my profile.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 PM

been almost a year with the indoor/outdoor, and absolutely no problems. no drippings, with a gas cart and a car. i think it's great
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

In addition to the race-deck square, there are several vinyl garage flooring systems which you roll out but I wonder in Florida if this approach does trap moisture under the vinyl?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.