Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

There is also some sort of thing that seems to be threaded onto the spout. If I could remove that I might not need to replace it as it is leaking around it but nothing I do can get that off so it seems to be part of it. That is where the slow leak is.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Call Warranty and ask them.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

I’d call Mike Scott Plumbing and let the professionals handle it.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-03-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post

Fuggetaboutit! I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber).

Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.

Unfortunately mine isn't. Close but not close enough.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber).

Good luck. I have never done it, but the Youtube videos make it look easy.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Indeed the thing attached to the spigot is a siphon break. Usually there is a allen screw someplace that holds it in place and resists unscrewing it. I would look all around it for that screw and, if necessary, look at your other one or a neighbor's. They come off. However, to fix the faucet, you do not need to remove this thing. It can only leak if the faucet is leaking.

It appears to be leaking because the faucet is leaking. Turn your water main off first. Then remove the handle, then I would take a wrench and remove the valve stem. It is the nut shaped thing just under the handle. I suspect that your washer is bad and leaking. If it is not the washer, then you might see that the seat of the washer/ valve stem is cracked by looking down into it with a flashlight.

Take the washer and valve stem to Lowes, Home Depot, or similar and get a new washer.

Outside faucets are abused by turning them off with too much torque. This usually causes the washer to wear and cause a leak.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Just a word of caution, if you remove the 'vacuum breaker' and do not replace, you may in violation of the law if and when you decide to sell your house. As noted above, the repair or rebuild of a valve is easily done once the water is shut off. i have done this several time, and have never had to revmove the valve body. Even had to replace the valve seat twice, the valve body remained.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Default My two cents worth

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

You state it is Ten Years old. Our water quality is, well not so great. That brass spigot is probably not top quality. You may well find if you put a wrench on it and put some force on it that you will find it turns to dust.

Obviously, be sure you have a second valve on the inside that shuts just that spigot off. That was code in NY not sure if it is here. If, you need to shut off the entire house and you then get into trouble well been there done that. Not all but some of the people a Home Depo and Lowes truly know what they are doing.
You might also look at a neighbors home and see if it is the same as yours. If, you are not the original owner, it may have been an issue previously and someone glued the spigot on.

As to my suggestion that it may have been an issue previously, That extension threaded on to the valve looks like it is the wrong valve. The handle does not seem to be ten years old and it seems it is too close to the siding to be easy to use.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Just a word of caution, if you remove the 'vacuum breaker' and do not replace, you may in violation of the law if and when you decide to sell your house. As noted above, the repair or rebuild of a valve is easily done once the water is shut off. i have done this several time, and have never had to revmove the valve body. Even had to replace the valve seat twice, the valve body remained.
If the vacuum breaker is causing the leak, you can cut it off and replace it with another vacuum breaker and still be legal. You can screw a new vacuum breaker on and not use the set screw. The problem with the set screw is that it is designed to be non-removable. So, when you screw it tight and then try to remove it, the top part will break off making it almost impossible to unscrew.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Law? Maybe a code. In any case It's not the valve. It's probably a cross thread on the vacuum breaker. Tried plumbers tape didn't help. Never had them up north. Don't intend on selling home until we are both pushing up daisies so I will let whoever inherits our home worry about calling the plumber assuming I don't replace it. I’m sure there are other “laws” that have been broken as well.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Sometimes Warranty will surprise you and have the original contractor check it out and possibly fix it.

Warranty has always been very nice to me, but I have never called up and raised hell either.

Tags
bib, threaded, cpvc, remove, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.