Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
So my sprinkler system uses recycled water but the outside spigot is potable water?
Depends on where in The Villages you live:

"North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water. South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available."

Regardless of where you live in TV, the outside spigot water is potable.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Depends on where in The Villages you live:

"North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water. South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available."

Regardless of where you live in TV, the outside spigot water is potable.
Okay thanks. I live in Pinellas. So I know that my sprinklers are using recycled water. I just assumed my outside spigot was the same. Now I know I was wrong.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Okay thanks. I live in Pinellas. So I know that my sprinklers are using recycled water. I just assumed my outside spigot was the same. Now I know I was wrong.
No worries. Your question is a common one here, so now you know
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

EdFNJ,

Did you get your answer, and were yo able to fix your faucet without removing it?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Well, to get this back ON TOPIC the issue was resolved. After removing the one screw on each side side of the bibb and breaking the putty seal with a screwdriver I took my right hand (I'm lefty but had to reach behind the shrubs) and twisted counterclockwise 3 turns and removed (and replaced) the hose bibb thereby saving a fully licensed, fully insured and highly trained(?) 30yr old kid to charge me probably $200 to do the same. That savings covered one of our tickets to see Hamilton in Orlando next month. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in your plumbing abilities. I am now awaiting an appearance from the water police for not yet installing the vacuum breaker which I did purchase for $9 (does INTENT count?). Still deciding whether to do that or to let our kids be forced to do it when wife and I move on to the netherworld and they get the house.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
EdFNJ,

Did you get your answer, and were yo able to fix your faucet without removing it?
Thank you, yes but it was much easier to remove and replace the bibb then to have to start cutting off the VB. See message right before this.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Well, to get this back ON TOPIC the issue was resolved. After removing the one screw on each side side of the bibb and breaking the putty seal with a screwdriver I took my right hand (I'm lefty but had to reach behind the shrubs) and twisted counterclockwise 3 turns and removed (and replaced) the hose bibb thereby saving a fully licensed, fully insured and highly trained(?) 30yr old kid to charge me probably $200 to do the same. That savings covered one of our tickets to see Hamilton in Orlando next month. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in your plumbing abilities. I am now awaiting an appearance from the water police for not yet installing the vacuum breaker which I did purchase for $9 (does INTENT count?). Still deciding whether to do that or to let our kids be forced to do it when wife and I move on to the netherworld and they get the house.
Vacuum Breakers are required by code, and help protect the integrity of the water supply. Not just for you, but for your neighbors. So while you revel in your repair, keep in mind there are requirements and safeguards put in place. This is why people who aren't familiar with plumbing requirements should leave those jobs to professionals, and or at least research a repair project. And my earlier comment about hiring a professional was not just for you, but for everyone who balks at paying for a professional to do the job. I recall a post not that long ago about a resident here who had a neighbor replace a breaker in his main panel because he didn't want to pay an electrician.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage
Default Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Vacuum Breakers are required by code, and help protect the integrity of the water supply. Not just for you, but for your neighbors. So while you revel in your repair, keep in mind there are requirements and safeguards put in place. This is why people who aren't familiar with plumbing requirements should leave those jobs to professionals, and or at least research a repair project. And my earlier comment about hiring a professional was not just for you, but for everyone who balks at paying for a professional to do the job. I recall a post not that long ago about a resident here who had a neighbor replace a breaker in his main panel because he didn't want to pay an electrician.

That's blasphemous! Ok, did the homeowners home burn down? I've installed an entire new electrical panel . I've also done gas plumbing, water plumbing and a lot of electrical work in my home up north and IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT (breaker) PROPERLY do you think you should pay an electrician to do it?

I would never do anything like that for a neighbor for many reasons but for myself? Of course IF I am knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-04-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

If you install a vacuum breaker, I think it will work fine by either removing or not tightening the set screw. You can always install it later. But, once you tighten the set screw, you will not be able to remove it because it is designed as a tamperproof device. You may also be able to find a non-tamperproof set screw that could be removed to replace the vacuum breaker.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you install a vacuum breaker, I think it will work fine by either removing or not tightening the set screw. You can always install it later. But, once you tighten the set screw, you will not be able to remove it because it is designed as a tamperproof device. You may also be able to find a non-tamperproof set screw that could be removed to replace the vacuum breaker.
Easiest way to remove a defective one (before replacing with a new one) is to use a small rotary tool such as a Dremel tool. Cut above and below the set screw, pry off the middle, and unscrew.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Glad you were able to fix the leak yourself. Good job : )
Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Faucets

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to

RESPONSE Hope it helps. The Hose bib may be on the house water line, and it may be on the irrigation line. You can tell by turning off the house water, in the wall, in the garage. OK, the back flow preventer, on the hose bib, brass POS is a real nuisance, I have always removed them, but save it because sale may require that to code? Years ago, someone with an IQ of 70 decided that all homes needed a BACKflow prevent er, because, it COULD BE? The hose with an insecticide sprayer may back flow stuff into the house water??? Think on that folks.
So, I am not advising you to leave it off, but it is there to prevent, so, how to get back flow? Well there would have to be no house water pressure and there would have to be an elevation change or a pump to get the contaminated water back into the house ?????????? On two houses, I have removed and saved them, then able to install at the hose sale, if code wants it. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Hose bibs

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

Response

And,,,,,,,, I forgot, the POS brass prev enter can have a set screw in it to prevent removal,,,,,,,,,, need a small Allen wrench for the set screw removal. Village maintenance may know of the PVC or other threaded connection, Be careful, it is in the wall and so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do not break it.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO I would try to get repair kit and reseal it. The VB screw that's been broken off can be drilled out. Mine was also on the bottom I just used two pair pliers and turned till I could drill it out and un screw it using lots of Penetrating oil. just make sure you hold the valve good before trying to twist anything off.
DIY Repair your Leaky Sillcock (Outside Water Faucet) for under 7.50 and in 15 Minutes - YouTube

Ok, after I researched the type you had and finished my post you all ready fixed it. Good Job another thing IF you replaced the VB just don't break the screw head off, that way you can remove it easily if ever has to be replaced again.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good job.

Tags
bib, threaded, cpvc, remove, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.