Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/anyone-know-how-outside-faucet-connected-plumbing-281257/)

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1612948)
Good luck. I have never done it, but the Youtube videos make it look easy.

I found a video but the setscrew is probably on the bottom because I can't see it and of course the bibb is behind a couple large shrubs! Maybe I'll just break it off with a 20lb sledgehammer. :D

JUST KIDDING! (on the sledgehammer, a sawzall will probably work :D )

retiredguy123 01-03-2019 07:26 PM

Again, good luck. You may not need to cut the vacuum breaker where the set screw is located. If you make two cuts through the vacuum breaker, you can probably pry it off. Try not to damage the hose bibb threads.

Mikeod 01-03-2019 07:40 PM

It’s been a while, but last time I had a leak8ng hose bib, all I had to do was remove the handle and replace the washer at the bottom of the valve. Have they changed?

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1613017)
It’s been a while, but last time I had a leak8ng hose bib, all I had to do was remove the handle and replace the washer at the bottom of the valve. Have they changed?

As I mentioned in a couple previous posts it is not the washer, the stem or the valve. I am 100% sure of that.

There is probably a bad thread on the vacuum breaker because when the water is turned OFF there is no leak. When the water is turned ON it leaks from the vacuum breaker thread on the hose bibb. Yes, I often leave the water ON because I have a timer that waters an area so when the timer is OFF (and the valve is opened) I get a slow leak from the vacuum breaker thread.
From what I have been reading these "vacuum breakers" have a 5-10 year life expectancy and this is 10yrs old.

tophcfa 01-03-2019 08:37 PM

Had the same problem when we bought our house. The valve leaked and spewed water all over when being shut off. I just turned off the water, put a pair of channel lock pliers on the faulty fixture, and unscrewed it. Replaced it with a regular hose fixture that does not have that stupid vacuum breaker thing. I put plumbers tape and silicone on the pipe threads when installing the new hose fixture so there would not be any leaks. Never had a problem since. I was told I would have to put on one of those vacuum breaker things if I ever sold the house so it would pass inspection. I will deal with that if the time ever comes? The backwash issue into the water supply is ridiculous. First, the water pressure would have to go to zero, and second, a hose would have to be attached to the fixture where the hose was submerged in contaminated waste, and then back pressure would have to be initiated. That equation is just about impossible, and would never happen at my house since the hose is always either reeled up or totally disconnected. Now when I shut off my hose I no longer get soaked by the vacuum breaker, and no more leaks. All good.

pauld315 01-03-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1612942)
Fuggetaboutit! :) I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously didn't live in the city I grew up in in upstate NY. You had to hire a union plumber or union electrician to do any work like that in your house and permits had to be pulled. There was ways around it as long as you didn't get caught.

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 10:00 PM

/// :)

stan the man 01-03-2019 11:20 PM

Is the outside faucet potable water?

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1613073)
Is the outside faucet potable water?

Yes. Same water as in the house.

stan the man 01-04-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1613075)

Thanks......

photo1902 01-04-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1612942)
Fuggetaboutit! :) I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHAT? You mean a professional, licensed and insured plumbing company didn't come out and fix it for free?

EdFNJ 01-04-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613120)
WHAT? You mean a professional, licensed and insured plumbing company didn't come out and fix it for free?

Huh? No idea what your point is or was. You are obviously missing mine.

New Englander 01-04-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1613075)

I thought the outside water was recycled water.

photo1902 01-04-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1613178)
I thought the outside water was recycled water.

No. It's not.

New Englander 01-04-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613180)
No. It's not.

So my sprinkler system uses recycled water but the outside spigot is potable water?