Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Default Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

There is also some sort of thing that seems to be threaded onto the spout. If I could remove that I might not need to replace it as it is leaking around it but nothing I do can get that off so it seems to be part of it. That is where the slow leak is.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage

Call Warranty and ask them.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Gold member

I’d call Mike Scott Plumbing and let the professionals handle it.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Gold member

I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Platinum member

The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-03-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I’d call Mike Scott Plumbing and let the professionals handle it.

Fuggetaboutit! I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber).

Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.

Unfortunately mine isn't. Close but not close enough.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber).

Good luck. I have never done it, but the Youtube videos make it look easy.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Indeed the thing attached to the spigot is a siphon break. Usually there is a allen screw someplace that holds it in place and resists unscrewing it. I would look all around it for that screw and, if necessary, look at your other one or a neighbor's. They come off. However, to fix the faucet, you do not need to remove this thing. It can only leak if the faucet is leaking.

It appears to be leaking because the faucet is leaking. Turn your water main off first. Then remove the handle, then I would take a wrench and remove the valve stem. It is the nut shaped thing just under the handle. I suspect that your washer is bad and leaking. If it is not the washer, then you might see that the seat of the washer/ valve stem is cracked by looking down into it with a flashlight.

Take the washer and valve stem to Lowes, Home Depot, or similar and get a new washer.

Outside faucets are abused by turning them off with too much torque. This usually causes the washer to wear and cause a leak.

Tags
bib, threaded, cpvc, remove, replace