Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Now that it is off, take the valve stem out and take a look at the washer. That was the part that was leaking.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Now that it is off, take the valve stem out and take a look at the washer. That was the part that was leaking.
As I mentioned a couple times before when everyone kept telling me it was the valve stem or washer: NO it was not. The bibb did NOT leak when turned off. It was leaking where the vacuum breaker was threaded to the nozzle only when the faucet was on which is all the time. I leave the faucet turned on all the time because there is a watering timer attached to it. Besides it was easier and cleaner to just unscrew the entire thing and replace it rather than dealing with valve stem and washer or cutting off the leaky vacuum breaker in a 10 year old part. Took all of $9 and 5 minutes and now I have a nice shiny new faucet to make all my neighbors jealous.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-05-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Sorry, my mistake. But to be fair, it was not until your seventh post that you said it was leaking only when turned on. Indeed, I did miss that one.

Last edited by PaulDenise; 01-06-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Sorry, my mistake. But to be fair, it was not until your seventh post that you said it was leaking only when turned on. Indeed, I did miss that one.

You are correct, I was not fully specific in my OP although it does say it's leaking from the threads of (what I later discovered was) the vacuum breaker. I guess they weren't required in NJ but I'm told that not having one here is either a felony, a crime against humanity or going to poison the entire 125000+ residents of TV if it isn't used so I decided to install the one I got. At least it will save my heirs $8.99 and I'll sleep better at night.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Right on, let the kids worry about it, I agree. I don't have the skills to do this, but I have never lived anywhere in any state with such poor outside faucets on my house (as a matter of fact, MUCH smaller and ''cheap" looking compared to other homes we've bought and those we had built) and am surprised since supposedly we paid more because the designer homes had better quality (??) fittings and such, and then we upgraded further on top of that ! Went most of my life without EVER having a simple light switch "go bad", "squeal" but not smoke or burn, and just outright quit working. I think more than 70% in this house have been replaced and STILL not a year goes by without having to call an "electrician" to replace at least two switches !!
Closed Thread

Tags
bib, threaded, cpvc, remove, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.