Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Well, to get this back ON TOPIC the issue was resolved. After removing the one screw on each side side of the bibb and breaking the putty seal with a screwdriver I took my right hand (I'm lefty but had to reach behind the shrubs) and twisted counterclockwise 3 turns and removed (and replaced) the hose bibb thereby saving a fully licensed, fully insured and highly trained(?) 30yr old kid to charge me probably $200 to do the same. That savings covered one of our tickets to see Hamilton in Orlando next month. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in your plumbing abilities. I am now awaiting an appearance from the water police for not yet installing the vacuum breaker which I did purchase for $9 (does INTENT count?). Still deciding whether to do that or to let our kids be forced to do it when wife and I move on to the netherworld and they get the house.
Glad you were able to fix the leak yourself. Good job : )

Faucets
Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Default Faucets

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to

RESPONSE Hope it helps. The Hose bib may be on the house water line, and it may be on the irrigation line. You can tell by turning off the house water, in the wall, in the garage. OK, the back flow preventer, on the hose bib, brass POS is a real nuisance, I have always removed them, but save it because sale may require that to code? Years ago, someone with an IQ of 70 decided that all homes needed a BACKflow prevent er, because, it COULD BE? The hose with an insecticide sprayer may back flow stuff into the house water??? Think on that folks.
So, I am not advising you to leave it off, but it is there to prevent, so, how to get back flow? Well there would have to be no house water pressure and there would have to be an elevation change or a pump to get the contaminated water back into the house ?????????? On two houses, I have removed and saved them, then able to install at the hose sale, if code wants it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Hose bibs
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Default Hose bibs

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

Response

And,,,,,,,, I forgot, the POS brass prev enter can have a set screw in it to prevent removal,,,,,,,,,, need a small Allen wrench for the set screw removal. Village maintenance may know of the PVC or other threaded connection, Be careful, it is in the wall and so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do not break it.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

IMO I would try to get repair kit and reseal it. The VB screw that's been broken off can be drilled out. Mine was also on the bottom I just used two pair pliers and turned till I could drill it out and un screw it using lots of Penetrating oil. just make sure you hold the valve good before trying to twist anything off.
DIY Repair your Leaky Sillcock (Outside Water Faucet) for under 7.50 and in 15 Minutes - YouTube

Ok, after I researched the type you had and finished my post you all ready fixed it. Good Job another thing IF you replaced the VB just don't break the screw head off, that way you can remove it easily if ever has to be replaced again.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage

Good job.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Now that it is off, take the valve stem out and take a look at the washer. That was the part that was leaking.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Now that it is off, take the valve stem out and take a look at the washer. That was the part that was leaking.
As I mentioned a couple times before when everyone kept telling me it was the valve stem or washer: NO it was not. The bibb did NOT leak when turned off. It was leaking where the vacuum breaker was threaded to the nozzle only when the faucet was on which is all the time. I leave the faucet turned on all the time because there is a watering timer attached to it. Besides it was easier and cleaner to just unscrew the entire thing and replace it rather than dealing with valve stem and washer or cutting off the leaky vacuum breaker in a 10 year old part. Took all of $9 and 5 minutes and now I have a nice shiny new faucet to make all my neighbors jealous.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-05-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Sorry, my mistake. But to be fair, it was not until your seventh post that you said it was leaking only when turned on. Indeed, I did miss that one.

Last edited by PaulDenise; 01-06-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Sorry, my mistake. But to be fair, it was not until your seventh post that you said it was leaking only when turned on. Indeed, I did miss that one.

You are correct, I was not fully specific in my OP although it does say it's leaking from the threads of (what I later discovered was) the vacuum breaker. I guess they weren't required in NJ but I'm told that not having one here is either a felony, a crime against humanity or going to poison the entire 125000+ residents of TV if it isn't used so I decided to install the one I got. At least it will save my heirs $8.99 and I'll sleep better at night.

Tags
bib, threaded, cpvc, remove, replace