Anyone know what is going on at El Santiago?

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Why the heck would you want an indoor swimming pool in Florida? It is plenty warm all year round to use the outdoor pool.
I believe there are several past threads referring to the subject. A few of the reasons I remember seeing were;
-Avoid cold air weather in Nov- Feb. Can swim without wet suits.
-Protection from the sun for those with skin problems, past cancer, on medications, etc.
-Well lighted, bug free facility for later evening use.
-Allow continued pool use and protection during dangerous weather.

There are more but that can be another thread.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
History is that unless it is classified as a "Country Club" it will be "sold" to the CDD at an exorbitant price and converted to another under-utlized pool/ping pong hall. Another deal for IRS to challenge. The prices "paid" per square foot makes these some of the most expensive pool halls in the country!

Rest in peace past wonderful neighborhood centers with food, bars, "light" live entertainment and lots of active neighborhood patrons; Silver Lake and Chula Vista. Usually 30 to 50 cars/carts in the parking lots all day long, then; VS maybe 5 or 10, now. It is a shame that the CDD's won't continue to operate them on lease as resturants and maybe even follow the wishes of many of its residents.

Just think what would happen if they knocked down one of the pool halls and built AN INDOOR SWIMING POOL. Just dreaming. Maybe when the Developer stops developing and CDD's really become independent !!?.
I thought everything north of 466 had already been turned over to the CDD at an exorbitant price. Shouldn't the CDD be making the decision about the use of the building and advising the residents, who already paid for it? So much for operating under the "Florida Sunshine Laws".
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

I assume the Developer still has the ability or pulls strings, one way or another, to control the CDD's. I have not researched it, but there is probably an agreement that requires the CDD to "buy" the property whenever offered by the Developer.
Absent a pre-existing agreement, lets postulate what would happen if the CDD refused the "offer" to purchase. It would seem the Developer would own a small piece of property and building in the middle of our recreational areas. Not too good for another home, maybe ideal for a restaurant/social facility? -- just thinking.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
History is that unless it is classified as a "Country Club" it will be "sold" to the CDD at an exorbitant price and converted to another under-utlized pool/ping pong hall. Another deal for IRS to challenge. The prices "paid" per square foot makes these some of the most expensive pool halls in the country!

Rest in peace past wonderful neighborhood centers with food, bars, "light" live entertainment and lots of active neighborhood patrons; Silver Lake and Chula Vista. Usually 30 to 50 cars/carts in the parking lots all day long, then; VS maybe 5 or 10, now. It is a shame that the CDD's won't continue to operate them on lease as resturants and maybe even follow the wishes of many of its residents.

Just think what would happen if they knocked down one of the pool halls and built AN INDOOR SWIMING POOL. Just dreaming. Maybe when the Developer stops developing and CDD's really become independent !!?.
and the inmates run this place?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM

I loved going to El Santiago... both food and alcoholic beverages were good. It also had a fun atmosphere !
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
and the inmates run this place?
I don't get it. Are you talking about the developer or the CDD?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
History is that unless it is classified as a "Country Club" it will be "sold" to the CDD at an exorbitant price and converted to another under-utilized pool/ping pong hall. Another deal for IRS to challenge. The prices "paid" per square foot makes these some of the most expensive pool halls in the country!

According to Sumter County property records the property already belongs to VCDD.

Maybe they tried to lease them but there were no takers. If the property was viable for a restaurant I would think they would have leased it.

I don't think the developer has any stake in the property north of 466.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
According to Sumter County property records the property already belongs to VCDD.

Maybe they tried to lease them but there were no takers. If the property was viable for a restaurant I would think they would have leased it.

I don't think the developer has any stake in the property north of 466.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Why the heck would you want an indoor swimming pool in Florida? It is plenty warm all year round to use the outdoor pool.
Buggyone, have you ever been to The Villages in December or January?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

a friend was playing golf Monday, popped in to El Santiago toask what was happening. The construction crew said did not know. But the bar is still in place and looks like it may be staying.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

As some asked, yes all things North of 466 are now controlled by an ACC. I forgot what the letters stand for, but they are a very good thing to keep THE Villages what we would like them to stay. But getting back to the point, truthfully, I still think there is underlying influence from Developer to not have the old clubs, etc return so all have to go to the squares, which if you were at Sumter last night when Rocky was there, 2+ hour waits for all eateries. Me and the wife for totally enjoyed El Santiago and miss it. At least the old Head Cook is now at Hacienda.
Army Guy
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Sage
Angry

I still don't understand how the residents own the Santiago Club, but have no say in what happens to it or can't even find out what is going on. I'm sure we, the residents, paid a premium price for it. Does this represent taxation without representation? Anybody know?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.