Best of times and the worst of times.

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Default Best of times and the worst of times.

How blessed we are. Yesterday at Murphy gas station on 441 by Wal Mart there was a family asking for help, man and wife with three children, she was by Wal-mart, he was at Murphy's station with a gas can asking for fuel. As I was filling up, I motioned him over and filled up his container and asked where he was from. The family was from Romania, he said he was a painter and just lost his job and living in a hotel. How desperate this man had to be begging to take care of his family. His gas can was full and that was the end of the conversation. This bothered me, for not offering further assistance and wondering how he got into this country. His English was quite broken. Went back today hoping to find them, no luck. How sheltered and privileged we are living in this cocoon called The Villages. Have a great day.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Gold member

Nice story.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

http://www.wflx.com/story/22976198/g...-south-florida

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...s-police-focus

That was very kind, but I also know that some folks make a living standing out there.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
How blessed we are. Yesterday at Murphy gas station on 441 by Wal Mart there was a family asking for help, man and wife with three children, she was by Wal-mart, he was at Murphy's station with a gas can asking for fuel. As I was filling up, I motioned him over and filled up his container and asked where he was from. The family was from Romania, he said he was a painter and just lost his job and living in a hotel. How desperate this man had to be begging to take care of his family. His gas can was full and that was the end of the conversation. This bothered me, for not offering further assistance and wondering how he got into this country. His English was quite broken. Went back today hoping to find them, no luck. How sheltered and privileged we are living in this cocoon called The Villages. Have a great day.
Paying it forward is always a good thing. May blessings come to you.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

I've heard this story before but cant remember where. It is a scam, sorry.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Could be a scam but don't think so, begging for money, yes, gas.....well, I'll never know and sorry Gracie, he didn't get close to my back door or wallet.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

I would suggest that you read the articles Gracie girl posted, or maybe some of the many expose's that have been done on panhandling and begging. Most of these people make a living at it. They often use children to beg for them or as props. It is wonderful to help those in need, but I would suggest giving to a worthy charity. Just my thoughts, but I can tell you stories of beggars asking me for money for food that I offered to take to McDonalds and buy them a burger and they declined... It is sad but true.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I think more than likely they we're not what the OP thought. What I will vigorously disagree with is the sheltered and privileged description of those of us who are Villagers. My wife and I worked hard and made many sacrifices throughout our lifetime in order to be able to afford the retired lifestyle we now enjoy. Over the years we have donated to many organizations and charities, and helped out a relative and friend or two along the way.
We both come from tough neighborhoods, but hard working blue collar neighborhoods. If we couldn't work for and pay for it, we did without. Never, and I mean never would we beg, borrow, or steal anything from anyone. So no, we are not privileged and for darned sure not sheltered. Ninety nine out of one hundred help me requests on the streets are at the very least shady.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I think more than likely they we're not what the OP thought. What I will vigorously disagree with is the sheltered and privileged description of those of us who are Villagers. My wife and I worked hard and made many sacrifices throughout our lifetime in order to be able to afford the retired lifestyle we now enjoy. Over the years we have donated to many organizations and charities, and helped out a relative and friend or two along the way.
We both come from tough neighborhoods, but hard working blue collar neighborhoods. If we couldn't work for and pay for it, we did without. Never, and I mean never would we beg, borrow, or steal anything from anyone. So no, we are not privileged and for darned sure not sheltered. Ninety nine out of one hundred help me requests on the streets are at the very least shady.
Amen!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Eternal Member

Yes, we are blessed to be in The Villages. Let's not look down upon those that need help.

I see it every week. There are also those that are takers. However, I would rather err on the side of Matthew:25 than on the callous side.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Whether or not a scam is irrelevant. A true kindness was done for another. If the recipient is a slime bag preying on peoples' sympathies then shame on him. Bless you for helping one in need.

I give to certain charities. I donate my time to certain organizations. I will also stop and help those in need, whether that is a lost Villager or a panhandler. What they do with the help is their choice. I can only do what is right for me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
Whether it was a scam or not, deplars, God bless you. You followed your heart and you helped. I know I am blessed. I look at it as a form of tithing. I know it will come back to you tenfold. You planted good seeds and you will reap good from our faithful act.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I read an article awhile back in the Seattle times they had gone out and offered the panhandlers work and only one out of 30 approached took the job. Several admitted that if they worked they would make between 15 and 17 dollars and hour and that they average 20 to 30 panhandling a most will give them at least a $5.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Well said bagboy. I have no issues with people giving especially when the heart strings are being tugged. However, I would prefer to give to those who are clearly in need but will not reach for a hand out due to pride. Randon acts of kindness are wonderful and nothing makes me feel better than to have participated in that on a number of occasions in my lifetime. However, nothing makes me feel worse than feeling like I have just been fleeced.

No one can say with certainty if this was a scam but it does have all the the earmarks of being such. Scammers are like seagulls and as long as we keep feeding them they will keep coming back.

If you don't care if you are being fleeced and still feel good that you have given then I say knock yourself out.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 PM

I agree with Redwitch and BKcunningham - you have a compassion heart…that is what counts!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.