Anyone tips on being able to get a Hunter X2 irrigation wifi controller working?

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2023, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Anyone tips on being able to get a Hunter X2 irrigation wifi controller working?

I'm South of 44, home was built in May 2022.

I bought the wifi add on module off the internet in the summer. I tried everything in the instructions to get it working and then returned it and ordered a 2nd one. I'm still facing the same issues. I feel like maybe my specific Hunter irrigation controller has something disabled or something like that. I have the one with the blue buttons, I know that the one with the green buttons is not supported. I have not found any way to go into some sort of settings menu on the irrigation controller.

Here's what I've observed:

When inserting the wifi module I'm not seeing the wifi light go on at all. It's supposed to be amber according to the instructions.

When I try to connect it to the Hydrawise app, it advised to press the button on the module twice and then the light should go on, it doesn't.

This module supports Bluetooth, but fails to connect even though I can see the device in my Bluetooth settings.

When I contacted Hunter, they just send me a PDF of an updated installation guide.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

There are 1 or 2 local hunter dealers/installers I hope they will see this and give you a hand, or someone else knows who they are so you can contact them.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:03 AM

I am also south of 44 and successfully installed the X2 wifi module and am able to use the Hydrawise application. My home was built around the same time and has the same Hunter sprinkler controller. The X2 wifi module (per specs) only supports WiFi 2g and not the latest wifi 5g. My Spectrum provided wifi supports both 2g and 5g. You might want to check what your home wifi supports.

If you are still stuck installing I can stop by.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,072 Times in 429 Posts

Try contacting Hunter Tech Support at 800-733-2823. I have found them to be very friendly, and most helpful.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

More than likely, your wifi signal is not strong enough in your garage. For some reason, it seems to need a stronger signal at set up
Old 01-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

The Hunter is very non-intuitive, designed to be set by professionals.

Replace it with a consumer grade controller like B-Hyve, much easier to setup and use.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:44 AM

Many smart devices require a Bluetooth connection to setup WiFi. I suspect the fact that you can’t connect via Bluetooth may be the root of your issue.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:06 AM
Default B- hive, controller

I am a villager, and I bought the beehive wifi controller and installed it myself, and it works fine. I bought it at Lowe’s on 466 the villages.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Four things I would check:

- Is the dial for the X2 in the Run position?

- With the WAND module installed, does the display on the X2 change at all? Several of the functions of the X2 are not available with the WAND installed. If the screen displays have changed with the WAND in place then you have some acknowledgment that the X2 sees the module.

- If you remove the WAND module and "forget" that Bluetooth device on your phone, does it still show up in the listing of available devices? (Is it possible you are seeing your neighbor's device?)

- Try connecting to the Bluetooth device from another phone; perhaps it is your phone that is having issues.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-08-2023, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post

I bought the wifi add on module off the internet in the summer. I tried everything in the instructions to get it working and then returned it and ordered a 2nd one. I'm still facing the same issues. I feel like maybe my specific Hunter irrigation controller has something disabled or something like that. I have the one with the blue buttons, I know that the one with the green buttons is not supported. I have not found any way to go into some sort of settings menu on the irrigation controller.

When inserting the wifi module I'm not seeing the wifi light go on at all. It's supposed to be amber according to the instructions.

When I try to connect it to the Hydrawise app, it advised to press the button on the module twice and then the light should go on, it doesn't.

This module supports Bluetooth, but fails to connect even though I can see the device in my Bluetooth settings.

When I contacted Hunter, they just send me a PDF of an updated installation guide.
The hunter Wands are POS! I bought 2 of them and got 1 working for a week then failed. Got a replacement and couldn’t get it to work. I spent an hour with Hunter support and they told me to send it back.

I’ve put multiple orbit b-hyve controllers in my prior house as well at friends here and prior place. Takes 5 mins to install, 15 mins to configure with your iPhone. So now it works with Siri and apple HomeKit.
I also use a local weather station so the controller knows when it needs to water and when it needs to put itself in delay mode. The b-hyve is installed in the same location that the hunter was installed and the b-hyve has no problem connecting to the wifi signal nor Bluetooth. You do need wifi access, and since I have my garage doors automated, they already had wifi access but the Hunter Wand couldn’t connect or keep connected to wifi.

BTW, I sold my hunter controller that paid for the b-hyve, which costs around $60 compared to the cost of the Wand which was over $100 alone

Last edited by rsmurano; 01-08-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Any comment on how the b-hyve compares to the Rachio controller?

-Tom Petty
Old 01-08-2023, 08:05 AM
Default Hunter Wifi

I had trouble as well but finally got it to work on WiFi. Now it is great
You can link 2 ways. With WIFI or Bluetooth.
I would be happy to assist
ping me @sasman29

Mike
Old 01-08-2023, 08:25 AM
Default Hydrowise Issues

If you have the actual Hydrowise wifi controller and you installed the app on your smart phone You should be able to generate the zones you want to control and the start and run time on the app.
We have had it for 2 years and have had 0 issues with it.
It does communicate on 2.4 ghz not 5 if your router uses both.
Make sure you put in the pass word for the router in the Hydrowise unit.
We replaced the klunky mechanical unit with the Wifi unit.

I have had good luck contacting Hunter both by email and phone. If you have questions they have the answers.

Our watering bill went from almost $200 per month to about $20-30 per month.
It also checks on the weather and will not water if not needed.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
The Hunter is very non-intuitive, designed to be set by professionals.

Replace it with a consumer grade controller like B-Hyve, much easier to setup and use.
Yeah, have to agree with this advice. I am a 40+ year professional. I use BHyve at home. The last thing you want is another thing to go wrong.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post

Maybe that wifi light is key!
Check your network on your pc to see whether your Hunter device is included in your network.
Closed Thread

Tags
module, wifi, irrigation, controller, hunter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.