Why are cars changing the rules of road for carts??

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Why are cars changing the rules of road for carts??

I've observed MANY close calls, cars that allow carts to cross (even thou it is not their right-away) causing havoc behind them!....As a golf cart driver, I would prefer to wait my turn...I appreciate that cars are being kind BUT I think it is causing traffic problems. What is the solution?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage

Just wave the cars on & be safe--when you tie with a car--you lose
Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I've observed MANY close calls, cars that allow carts to cross (even thou it is not their right-away) causing havoc behind them!....As a golf cart driver, I would prefer to wait my turn...I appreciate that cars are being kind BUT I think it is causing traffic problems. What is the solution?
What "havoc" are you referring to?

Yahoo has two definitions of "havoc":
  1. Widespread destruction; devastation.
  2. Disorder or chaos.

I have not witnessed a problem caused by drivers allowing cart drivers to pass in front of them at the gates. If there are cars behind them, it only delays them by approximately 5 seconds. Surely, no one is in such a hurry that they can't wait 5 seconds.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Platinum member

The problem with waving carts through (cars have the right of way)in order to be a nice guy or gal, the cart then waves for you to go instead. This goes back and forth for awhile until one decides to actually go, at which time the other one also decides to go and they go........car drivers need to quit being nice guys or gals. If you want to be nice guys or gals, the next time at the bar, just buy a stranger a drink..
Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Yes. Best if the one with the right of way goes. The problem is there maybe other cars present and their driver probably can not see the other car drivers waving the carts on.
But if going ahead in a cart looks safe I do waive back to the Car driver and go. I think that is safer and less confusing for all.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Platinum member

When I'm driving my car I DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to overrule traffic controls (I.e., stop signs, etc.) to be a nice guy. Nor do I have the right to direct traffic.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
When I'm driving my car I DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to overrule traffic controls (I.e., stop signs, etc.) to be a nice guy. Nor do I have the right to direct traffic.
you are right, er.., pass it on..
Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

the problem is not just where the arts and cars meet. It extends back into the traffic circle or other accesses where it is expected the driver in front of you will continue on through only to be surprised by brake lights as they play nice nice to the golf carts....and the guy behind me and behing him and into the traffic circle.

I dislike when residents take on the task of traffic cop for their feel good factor instead of following the rules.

There is no assurance people know the rules of the road carts and cars alike.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Seems like I once heard that an operator of a car motioned a pedestrian to cross and was then taken to court when said person got injured. May not be true but I agree that drivers should not be traffic directors. Just be cautious.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
The problem with waving carts through (cars have the right of way)in order to be a nice guy or gal, the cart then waves for you to go instead. This goes back and forth for awhile until one decides to actually go, at which time the other one also decides to go and they go........car drivers need to quit being nice guys or gals. If you want to be nice guys or gals, the next time at the bar, just buy a stranger a drink..
Well, I don't drink, and I'm not against anyone who does - until they drive, I don't go to bars - too many end of friendships and divorces caused by them; I'll just continue being nice to LEO's and members of the Armed Forces.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When you have a right away- take it. I won't go unless there is an auto back up and a driver leaves space for alternating traffic.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Seems like I once heard that an operator of a car motioned a pedestrian to cross and was then taken to court when said person got injured. May not be true but I agree that drivers should not be traffic directors. Just be cautious.
The reason would be that the injured person interpeted the drivers_ motion as saying it was safe to proceed. The driver was most likely saying he would yield to the injured person, but h
not that everyone else would. That is the problem with waving on Carts. The other drivers..
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Wow! If someone letting a cart cross creates havoc in your world, you really shouldn't venture beyond your driveway, because there are a whole lot more dangerous driving acts beyond those gates.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
Wow! If someone letting a cart cross creates havoc in your world, you really shouldn't venture beyond your driveway, because there are a whole lot more dangerous driving acts beyond those gates.
I will also allow carts to cross...especially if there is a car waiting for the gate to go up. As far as people behind me, I trust they know that when they see brake lights they will also stop and or slow down. I suspect that those that play the "havoc" card are either in a hurry and hate anyone to slow them down or believe that the rules, including the ones they make up, must always be followed.....until they don't.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the problem is not just where the arts and cars meet. It extends back into the traffic circle or other accesses where it is expected the driver in front of you will continue on through only to be surprised by brake lights as they play nice nice to the golf carts....and the guy behind me and behing him and into the traffic circle.

I dislike when residents take on the task of traffic cop for their feel good factor instead of following the rules.

There is no assurance people know the rules of the road carts and cars alike.
For the time being, I don't have a cart. I do have a bike and car.
What are the rules?
I have been taking turns with the others at the crossroad as a driver and a biker doing what appears to be safest.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.